Point to point Rocky Point race!

Burt

Just a few days left until race day! Had the pleasure of prerunning the track and I have to say this is the most underrated race track I’ve been on! Not only that, but after the race everyone can get some beach time in.
So who’s in?

TJ_Gambino

RACE INFO HERE:
image.jpeg

steelman

As of 8pm today, Hwy 86 between Sells, AZ and Why, AZ is closed due to flooding. ADOT doesn't know when it will reopen....

JWHracing

Going to be a fantastic weekend. Great course, great weather, tacos and cervesas on the beach, and race cars!

TJ_Gambino

Tech and contingency Friday in Old Port from noon to 5pm. Drivers meeting at Changos Bar & Grill @ 7:30.

image.png

scottm

Latest news? Anyone trapped down there? A buddy had to be rescued by boat from the estuary island yesterday.

MTPyle

We were the last truck on the course and finished the race after 8 hours. So everyone got out. The water crossings were pretty interesting and created some challenges and some fun.

This was our first race in our new to us 6100 truck. I have been a co driver before in a 10 car but no owner or driver experience in a actual race. I drove the first half with my 22yr old son as Co and then he took over driving the second half with my 15 year old son as co driver. Start them early LOL. We do have a fair amount of experience in the deseret and sand dunes as we have had buggies and RZR's so we were not totally newbs but close.

We had a Brake rotor come off the hub at mile 20 which took about an hour to fix. There was a 10 car broke down next to us that really helped us out. I wish I remember what their number was. they were from Phoenix, super cool guys.

Then my son go confused at one of the course changes and got stuck in a big ditch made by the storm trying to turn around. He got pulled out by Matt with Black and Blue racing which was a life saver, Thanks Matt!! then my son got stuck again trying to get back on course. they dug themselves out that time. Not easy to get a 5400lb truck un stuck in the sand. They were at Mile marker 122 for 3 hours with those two stuck issues.

The truck actually ran great other than the issues we had and was super smooth. We have a lot of work to do to get it ready for next weekend at Laughlin. Hopefully we can pull it off.

We were down with a 5 car and a 2000 truck. the 5 car finished first in class and the 2000 finished 2nd. Our group is from Lake Havasu Kelson Motorsports.

Overall it was a great weekend and super fun. Was great to get the first race out of our way and now off to the next one.

Mike

MTPyle

The course was pretty messed up from the major rain fall they had days before the race. The SADR guys did a great job of making last minutes changes to make the race possible. They also did a good job of marking the new obstacles. Lots of hard drop offs and washed out roads. Overall it was a great race only one medical emergency and that was a guy that had a bad allergic reaction to Cactus and needed a epi pen.

The course changes for sure made it more challenging for us new guys, but thats part of the adventure.

They stopped your time before a water crossing and allowed cars to get trailered thru the river crossing. The entertaining part was all the tourist and locals trying to get cars across these water crossings. It was a I failed spelling show. LOL

The water was so deep that even trucks with 37" tires and 4x4 were struggling. The water was over the tops of flatbed trailers.

Mike

Burt

And then there was this guy. We were waiting for two of our cars to come through on trailers and everyone was talking about how deep and fast the water was running. This guy was walking on the side of the road, rolls up his pants, takes his shoes off and walked right across. Crazy

Attachments

Vdrive

That picture was the last channel crossing, the center channel was 36”++ deep with rapids. we were told at pit 5 it’s 16” deep so I led 6107 thru the crossing(we chased in a loop so it was our 1st and only time thru the water) most of it was 12-16 “ deep until the main channel then it got really deep swift water. The road was closed for everyone but the racers, when the first trophy truck showed up they moved the excavator that was blocking the road so no one would drown we came through next following a big rail road repair truck. The back of my raptor started to float in the channel and the truck rotated without 4x4 we might not have made it... at that point I knew I made a mistake leading my friends through what could have been deadly it was highly irresponsible of me to take on the water crossing, sadr should have come up with something else or ended the race as this could have cost someone their life. The pic is not at the swift water section, it got 6” deeper or more, came over the hood a little.
8794D6A2-A87C-46B6-B9B0-CF4BAE9C81C0.jpeg

MTPyle

Yes in retrospect that was not a great plan. I drove a chase truck thru with 35” tires and 4x4. The current was moving me and I thought we could get stuck. My son drove the race truck thru and it did better but still scetch. It has 37” but 2 wheel drive.

Really SADR should have got a semi truck with a flat bed to ferry the racers across. Would have taken a little longer but way safer.

The real problem was the level of the water was changing often. So I am sure when SADR came thru it wasn’t as bad.

Still a great race and great experience.

Our truck is in the shop torn apart into pieces trying to get to ready for this weekends race in Laughlin. Hopefully we can get it back
Together and ready for the race.

Mike

If SADR is to have semi-tractors, drivers and flatbeds standing by in case of flash flood, how much more entry fee are you willing to pay?

Did Sal, Walt, or even Phil, ever offer such?

IIRC, they did not.

Last edited: