polishing the frame...

empire231

Reaction
I got a 2003 CR250 and I want to polish out my frame and swingarm. my bike has the 3rd generation frame, so it's not the same as the 2002 and before. my frame is a little more "bubbelly" (kinda explains it), also the downtube (where the subframe connects) has a rough texture. so anyway.... is there any special technique to doing this or would it be the same as the 1st&2nd generation frame? what do I use to strip the protectant coat on the frame? and whats the best polish you'd recommend? and if I use a wheel, would it leave swirls? thanks....

Attachments

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
your gonna have to use a fine fiber disk to get it smooth. Then you need to get some aluminum polish and some cotton wheels, either for a disk sander or a die grinder, you can even get them for bench grinders but I don't think you have a bench grinder big enough, any way, the cotton wheels and polish will get rid of the swirlls.

empire231

Reaction
thanks, that helps alot.

seems like the rougher part of the frame can be tricky, so I might just end up polishing the two main tubes and the swingarm? I'd like to do the whole thing but don't wanna screw it up.

depending on what kinda deals they got going at the chaparral sale, my bike might be yamaha blue pretty soon or all white, (sorry to jack your style sirhk)

sirhk100

Reaction
That's okay, everyone knows who the originator is!!! Plus, are you sure you want to do that? If you go to Ocotillo Wells there's a certain ranger that'll go outta his way to say hello because of a mistaken identity.
Blue would be cool too. The sickest one I've seen in my opinion was all yellow with hand made red flame shroud decals. I've always wanted to see a KTM orange one too!!!

I'm liking the hand made flames people are doing!!! Here's my favorites so far that I've seen. I think they just look REALLY clean, I'm not liking the black plastics but the graphics look good!!!

fathead

Reaction
A looong time ago I polished my swingarm on my 90 yz 250.
what I did was use some spray-on oven cleaner to remove the clear coat, and then followed up with mothers, looks real good, not as good as having it done with polishing wheels, but it's a dirt bike. you might have to spray and wipe a couple of times to get the clear off all the way.... By the way, if you have some aluminum that is real bad there is a product called Bright Boy. It works great, but it will leave the aluminum bare so you have to keep after them......