• Forum membership has its advantages....

POLL 1: Spectator safety in off-road racing

Should off-road race organizations take full responsibility for the safety of their spectators?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 141 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trophygoat

Many of you have probably seen me browsing the RDC forums, as I have been viewing and commenting on threads for a little over a year now. I think RDC is unique amongst other forums because it truly represents the community that it was established for. There are scores of racers, crew members, race organization staff, etc. from all classes and skill levels of off road racing on RDC. For that reason, I have decided to conduct a two-thread, two-question survey on RDC in the interest of research regarding spectator safety (primarily motivated by the unfortunate events of this years Baja 500 and the subsequent online conversation).
Behind my online profile, I am midway through an undergraduate degree in Biology and I am particularly interested in the research that goes on in health care professions (the kind of research that makes headlines such as "Red meat gives you cancer" and "Possible Alzheimer's cure found"). My interest here is to apply these well-known research techniques to issues facing today's motorsports, and these polls are just the beginning of a nest of ideas that I've come up with.
The purpose of this poll and a second poll regarding licensure (also posted in the Desert Racing section) is to gain the community's perspective on the matter. As a researcher, I take no sides: my job is to gather the numbers and do quantitative analysis. I plan on keeping the polls open for 21 days and doing a short survey analysis afterwards. If anyone is interested in contributing to the article with me, please message me on here (I mainly require contributors for the "Background" portion of the article as I am a novice competitor and have little first-hand knowledge on the history of off-road racing -- please note that sound grammar and writing skills are necessary if you want to contribute).
As for the poll questions, please respond to this poll and the second poll that I have posted in the Desert Racing section. I encourage you to read the questions carefully before responding. Once you have voted on both polls, please make a short comment on the OTHER poll regarding your role in off road racing (directions will be in that post). Please keep conversation in the comments limited; the focus of this thread is the poll question.
Thank you for your participating,

-Trey Clauser

P.S. If you have anything negative to say about what I am doing, take it to my profile page so the thread doesn't get clogged up :)

Sheaco

A little common sense & personal responsibilities goes a long way.

Shoyrtt

Your use of the word "full" most likely pre-determines the results in this poll. If you would have used the words "some" or "any" there probably would be a more lively debate.

bobsson

No entity should ever be fully responsible for a human beings decisions. There's no such thing as idiot proof, only stuff that will slow them down.

trophygoat

Your use of the word "full" most likely pre-determines the results in this poll. If you would have used the words "some" or "any" there probably would be a more lively debate.
I thought the same thing when crafting the question (honestly I thought of 15-20 different ways to craft the question before posting it) but words like "some" are usually not used in scientific analysis because it makes the question vague. The debate turns into "what is 'some'?" etc. (kind of ironic because my other question has "some" in it, but what the heck... I ain't perfect). Nonetheless, the results should be interesting.
In my analysis I will certainly include a paragraph or two on how individual interpretation of the question may have influenced the results, as well as commentary on what "full responsibility" might represent.
I do appreciate the constructive feedback.

Last edited:

Mike321

I voted no based on the wording of the question, and just adding commentary based on your post above. However, I do feel a promotor should attempt to mitigate risk in known problem areas for attendees. (That's not "some" -- it's known problem areas).

There also "non-race related things" that pop-up as issues that are beyond impossible to control over a 250, 500 or 1000 mile course -- same things that happen during a marathon, etc.

Last edited:

J Prich

No because of wording.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Do even promoters of Bridal Shows accept that level of responsibility?

I can't think of any organized sport that does.

DirtDgr

Of course they shouldn't take full responsibility. Spectators are human. Imperfect. Far from it in fact! For race organizations, also made up of these imperfect human beings, to take "full" responsibility would certainly and eventually mean the end of off-road through endless litigation and lawsuits.

green787

I voted no based on the "full responsibility" wording.... I believe the police should take responsibility, because I've been to races there where NOBODY was allowed in the wash.... Mexican cops are very effective.... when they say move.... people move....

51rcr

no, your responsible for your self. that's why in the US everything is about the vicious insurance someone elses fault. But of course they need to add and try to inform people of dangers and keep them away from dangers. New people and people from other areas do not know these dangers. Like animals ect. Everyone has said to people hey watch out or look out for, and also have been told the same. A lil tip goes along ways. Its when people don't head the warnings. Theres also only so much you can do and extreme situations. You still assume risk by being there. like baseball games hockey nascar ect.

Rlovell

I assume we are talking south of the border? Mitigate to a degree, yes. A spectator needs to understand the risk involved but should also be afforded a reasonably safe manner in which to watch the race. Key word is reasonably safe.. We all share responsibility, as race car drivers, spectators, pit crew, chase teams and promoters. We all work to mitigate risk, but risk is part of everyday life. Is the Department of Transportation responsible for my safety on the interstate or am I? I'd hate to see closed sections of course (already there in the US) but a bit of mitigation in the high density spectator areas could go a long way.. Full responsibility will eventually result in over regulation and no spectators, and thus no racing..

BANNED4LIFE

this poll is dumb.....

Shoyrtt

I thought the same thing when crafting the question (honestly I thought of 15-20 different ways to craft the question before posting it) but words like "some" are usually not used in scientific analysis because it makes the question vague. The debate turns into "what is 'some'?" etc. (kind of ironic because my other question has "some" in it, but what the heck... I ain't perfect). Nonetheless, the results should be interesting.
In my analysis I will certainly include a paragraph or two on how individual interpretation of the question may have influenced the results, as well as commentary on what "full responsibility" might represent.
I do appreciate the constructive feedback.
The question as written is vague. Are you talking about full legal responsibility or full moral responsibility? Legally, the answer is most likely dependent on where the race takes place and whether the spectator assumes any risk based on the laws of that jurisdiction. Full moral responsibility is so subjective, there is no possibility of a "scientific analysis". With the results being so one sided, I have to side with Pete's analysis on this one.

kyle_pc_75

Work with law enforcement to mitigate risk and educate the spectators, yes. Take full responsibility, no, because it's impossible. Our racers are a lot smaller than SCORE's, so it's a lot easier, but I still can't take full responsibility. People broke the rules at Vernal, and we had controlled access to the entire race course, designated spectator areas, etc.

HI_DEZ_DAVE

No, very poor choice in wording...imho. Should parents take FULL responsibility for their children's actions? To what end or age? Same line of questioning.

trophygoat

The question as written is vague. Are you talking about full legal responsibility or full moral responsibility? Legally, the answer is most likely dependent on where the race takes place and whether the spectator assumes any risk based on the laws of that jurisdiction. Full moral responsibility is so subjective, there is no possibility of a "scientific analysis". With the results being so one sided, I have to side with Pete's analysis on this one.
The question is to be interpreted by each person, and your vote should reflect your interpretation accordingly.
Plus I already knew Pete was going to say that so no surprise there :rolleyes:
We still have 20 days for votes to come in.

BANNED4LIFE

The question is to be interpreted by each person, and your vote should reflect your interpretation accordingly.
Plus I already knew Pete was going to say that so no surprise there :rolleyes:
We still have 20 days for votes to come in.
if YOU knew it was STUPID when you posted it, why bother??? maybe santa can start a "stupid" forum for this nonsense so it doesn't waste time on the desert page.....

hendersoned

Is your local PD responsible for your safety? (NO)
Is the state DOT and local Public works department responsible for your safety while driving, a little bit, never fully. Do you have a responsibility to not do stupid things, yes, liberal judges like to protect you from your self but generally the law makes you responsible for your actions. Join the Boy Scouts, "Be Prepared".