Poll - Would you be willing to pay a promoter for Medical Helicopter

Would you be willing to pay 100.00 per year per banded driver for Medical Helicopter Insurance

• Yes I would be willing to

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • No I dont believe the promoter should ever force us to pay for insurance

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Here is the back story:

Over the last 20 years in off road racing, members of my team and myself have had to call a medical helicopter on many occasions for drivers that are injured. Early on the price for a helicopter was a few thousand but over the last couple of years it has jumped to over 40,000 dollars for just an average transport. Longer flights cost substantially more.

For most people this amount is rarely covered by your standard health insurance the second they determine you are in a competitive Motorsports event. It is also an amount that many could never recover from financially if they had to pay it. I know I couldn't.

If the promoter required each banded driver to pay an extra 100.00 each year, those drivers and any member of their immediate family could be covered nationwide by a supplemental medical helicopter insurance. Regardless if racing or not or at an event or not.

I am not speaking on behalf of any promoter and simply wondering what the opinion of people would be. Cost never determines the level of care you receive in the desert but if I can make it less of an impact I would like to help you guys in anyway I can.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Even racing a single event, I would be willing to pay an additional $100 for insurance that would cover the medical flight in the event that it was needed with no deductible. But if it was $100 extra for the promoter to simply have a medical helo on hand and I would still get the $40,000 bill then no I would not...

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Even racing a single event, I would be willing to pay an additional $100 for insurance that would cover the medical flight in the event that it was needed with no deductible. But if it was $100 extra for the promoter to simply have a medical helo on hand and I would still get the $40,000 bill then no I would not...
Agree completely - The promoter actually wouldn't get a penny, it would simply be a pass through to the insurance provider. Simply looking at a way if we could make sure everyone had it at the time - people could also sign up individually and just provide proof of enrollment. Doing it at an event would just allow people to complete everything on site.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Covered nation wide sounds good, I had thought those insurance deals usually dealt with a specific company such as air methods. My hospital is served by 4-5 different air companies so making sure all companies were covered would be great.

biffgnar

Reaction
Even for a single event (which unfortunately from NY is reality for me some years), I'd pay that and probably more. I may be biased though from having almost had to be taken out of Mexico at 2013 NORRA.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
Covered nation wide sounds good, I had thought those insurance deals usually dealt with a specific company such as air methods. t.
Air Methods is certainly the Big Dog in this discussion, and they have their own "Omni Care" but it is only good IF you are flown by Air Methods. PHI has a similar program, with SOME International extension. Then there are "the others", that are Hospital based and not contracted by a major aviation provider.
It is an excellent idea that we would be covered by a policy that would provide CLOSEST AVAILABLE helicopter to take care of injured racers, and their families. I would hope that this would be available to crew members as well ?
We're IN !

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Air Methods is certainly the Big Dog in this discussion, and they have their own "Omni Care" but it is only good IF you are flown by Air Methods. PHI has a similar program, with SOME International extension. Then there are "the others", that are Hospital based and not contracted by a major aviation provider.
It is an excellent idea that we would be covered by a policy that would provide CLOSEST AVAILABLE helicopter to take care of injured racers, and their families. I would hope that this would be available to crew members as well ?
We're IN !
Karl, the new insurance that is through Omni, is actually good for any service in the country even a competing provider - But for some reason certain states it is not eligible in - that is what I am trying to see if I can get changed. Ironically now Air Methods has purchased Care Flight so it means that all areas we currently race are in their service area anyway. But at this point - just a discussion topic. Our patient from the mint got his 40K bill yesterday....

Forty1Racing

Reaction
While I think its a good idea for the promoter, all it takes is one friend/family member to get the bill for a helicopter ride... The 100 bucks for helicopter insurance is always paid for now. Biggest complaint my buddy had (other than the college fund size bill) was that he didn't even remember his helicopter ride. haha

Glamasu

Reaction
I have my own policy through this place.... covers my whole family no matter what im doing... racing or on the road..at the river what ever... im covered for a ride...

and I have no affiliation... I have this for racing district 37.... no cage when I throw the leg over the bike...

Home

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
Absofriggnelutely... I got caught with my pants down, no medical insurance and broke my back in 2009 during a race. (yes, I know and it's a long story, I was a total irresponsible ahole)

My flight was $28,000 - mouse nuts compared to the other $300,000 in medical bills I racked up but I would absolutely pay $100 a year to know the flight would be covered.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Very often it's the helo bill that is one of the most crushing things when there is an incident. I know this from years of being on the board at fast-aid.

Dave, if there is any way fast-aid can help get this going give me a call and I'll run it past the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
This is already in the works, details to be forth coming.

Jangaard

Reaction
What about self funded. All racers superfund it the first couple of races. Once BITD for example has 100 k in the fund this money stays there in case someone needs a flight. Then on every subsequent race the 40 k goes back in payout if no one needs a flight. Promotes safety and the insurance company does not make the money off the racers.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
I would much rather spend $100 for flight insurance than $375 for other "safety" devices we are mandated to have.

Reaction
How about a Fast-Aid affinity policy, wherein anyone could be covered for an annual fee, and some of the proceeds go to FA?

Would the off road community and its friends be big enough to garner "group buy" status?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Just curious what happens when someone already has a flight policy plan. I always ask 2 questions when I get health and life insurance because it makes a huge difference- Does it cover my work? (high risk) and does it cover the sports I participate in? (Automobile racing, white water sports) You would be surprised how many carve outs there are for these policies. I actually know someone dealing with multi-coverage right now and they have decided that they would rather be under-insured than have multi-plans for coverage as each policy provider is trying to get the other one to pay the medical care provider. Meanwhile, the hospital continues to ask to get paid by the patient and has hammered their credit since it has gone past 90 days.

The other issue that I know has come up before at motorsports events in the past is that when a service is offered (like ambulance on scene during event) and someone gets hurt and is transported and the ambulance has to leave for that transport, the promoter can be in violation of their permit if the event continues and there is not another ambulance there immediately. I don't think the intent is what we think it is, but lawyers are not known for their good intentions. If the ship were taking someone to the hospital and someone else needed it right after and didn't get it, what would the ramifications be? They paid for it and didn't get it. I know the intention is great Dave, but I also have been on the other end of that radio call when there was no airship coming because of busy/wind/fog/etc... There are partner policies out there that will cover whatever your primary health plan doesn't cover with regards to transportation to the hospital in an emergency and they are not that expensive. Just ask the right questions to know if they are right for you.

And anyone who is racing without health coverage- What the EFF are you thinking? (not particularly pointed at Wheezy)

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Just curious what happens when someone already has a flight policy plan. I always ask 2 questions when I get health and life insurance because it makes a huge difference- Does it cover my work? (high risk) and does it cover the sports I participate in? (Automobile racing, white water sports) You would be surprised how many carve outs there are for these policies. I actually know someone dealing with multi-coverage right now and they have decided that they would rather be under-insured than have multi-plans for coverage as each policy provider is trying to get the other one to pay the medical care provider. Meanwhile, the hospital continues to ask to get paid by the patient and has hammered their credit since it has gone past 90 days.

The other issue that I know has come up before at motorsports events in the past is that when a service is offered (like ambulance on scene during event) and someone gets hurt and is transported and the ambulance has to leave for that transport, the promoter can be in violation of their permit if the event continues and there is not another ambulance there immediately. I don't think the intent is what we think it is, but lawyers are not known for their good intentions. If the ship were taking someone to the hospital and someone else needed it right after and didn't get it, what would the ramifications be? They paid for it and didn't get it. I know the intention is great Dave, but I also have been on the other end of that radio call when there was no airship coming because of busy/wind/fog/etc... There are partner policies out there that will cover whatever your primary health plan doesn't cover with regards to transportation to the hospital in an emergency and they are not that expensive. Just ask the right questions to know if they are right for you.

And anyone who is racing without health coverage- What the EFF are you thinking? (not particularly pointed at Wheezy)
Honestly, I assumed my health coverage would cover me if something happened medically... I will have to check and see if they cover me in racing activities or not... Even when I am not physically racing, I am covering a lot of racing/motorsports events and I need to find out if I am covered if something happens and I get hit or something else requiring medical attention or if since I am at a motorsports event they will not have to cover me. I need to look into it since my wife and son also help me shoot covering events so they would be in danger as well...

Thanks for bringing that up... I'll give Blue Cross a call...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I learned this almost by accident many years ago when I got my first life insurance policy. Reading the carve outs, it specifically stated they would not cover motorsports events. So I got another policy that did. The cost was the same, just had to shop. You would be surprised how many policies won't cover cop or firefighter work.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
I learned this almost by accident many years ago when I got my first life insurance policy. Reading the carve outs, it specifically stated they would not cover motorsports events. So I got another policy that did. The cost was the same, just had to shop. You would be surprised how many policies won't cover cop or firefighter work.
What carrier is it that is okay with motorsports? I tried earlier this year and the cost literally tripled due to racing.

51rcr

Reaction
Racing, rodeo ect, even hobby not for profit is hardly covered. Shopping around in some areas of the country isn't an option like where I live. up until recently there was 2 providers to pick from in the state. Now theres 4 I think maybe. Anyone gets hurt ya were on public land. Our country is always looking for someone or company to go after to get money. I know lots of dirt bikers that have went to the ER from falling off haystacks on there place to even putting on hunting gear cause they fell from a tree stand to various other things. Push the 911 button on my spot locater and then when it comes through the person in charge of emergency please request the extra assistance from GEOS. haha
I didn't click on a poll as some racing does have provided insurance with it and I think it would be better spent or done as a true full insurance not just for a copter. As with any emergency, if they cant fly they cant fly, if theres other emergencies or priorities that's how it goes.

Last edited: