Poll - Would you be willing to pay a promoter for Medical Helicopter

Would you be willing to pay 100.00 per year per banded driver for Medical Helicopter Insurance

• Yes I would be willing to

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • No I dont believe the promoter should ever force us to pay for insurance

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Mike321

Reaction
Is there anything like CalStar in Nevada? They are a non profit service and their coverage is extremely affordable -- $45/year for an individual, five dollars more for a family.

More Info: Membership | Affordable Coverage for Air Medical Services | CALSTAR

I have no affiliation with this organization or ever used their services. Just might be something worth looking into.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
There are several out there, I believe Reach also covers most of the Stateside areas we race in and offers coverage. As far as other types of insurance, I have had good luck with both my Farmers agent and with Harry J. Wilson Insurance. I am sure there are many others out there, those are 2 I have found offer reasonable coverage for life that include motorsports.

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I can't decide, so I haven't voted yet.... I would vote for an equipped HELO standing by like they used to have an ambulance at the race track.... But I'm afraid it all gets too complicated these days....

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Very interesting. I have always heard the flights are very expensive. Interested to hear what JrSyko is working on or what can come out of this.
In speaking with him, his project is completely unrelated in this concept and wont effect what I am suggesting. While it would be nice for a one solution fix, what he is eluding to will undoubtedly help people just in a much different way.

Really what I am looking at is a simply membership for all racers in the Omni Care program. Air Methods owns all the helicopter services that promoters that I work with operate their races in. They are transitioning to a new program that is either 50 if you have medical insurance or 100 if you don't for nationwide service for any medical helicopter. it covers you and your family.

I have had them out to 3 races in the last 2 years sitting at registration and less than 10 people a year have taken advantage of this insurance. Yet one flight would have paid for the insurance for half the racers in any given year. So far this year we have already flown 3 people at events just 3 months in.

This is a concept to help after an incident happens and in no way is going to determine how you get care at any given time. Strictly the financial responsibility angle at the end of the day..

JPBart

Reaction
I am lucky that my insurance covers a helo ride if I ever need one or I would buy this in a second. Through Rescue 3 I have worked with Mercy Air and an awful lot of hurt people. If you need the ride the last thing you want to be worried about is the cost of an airship because you don't have insurance. It can be very frustrating when you are sure your patient should go by helo but they are insisting on a ground transport because they don't have insurance.

You get a long and painful trip out of the desert if you are lucky or a huge and painfully expensive helo ride. That $100 a year is cheap insurance. I don't race any more but it would be a no brainer to add this to an entry fee. Get this done then start working on the crews!

Good work Dave. If Rescue 3 can do anything to help let me know.