popular tubing sizes

sigmatero

Besides 1 3/4” (cages), what tends to be the other most popular tubing size for offroad race truck parts? I’m getting ready to order a bender and am curious what most other folks are using for the smaller tube sizes.

Thanks!

atomicjoe23

It all depends on the series you are going to race in and the weight of your vehicle. . .most of these vehicles are built to a series rule book which stipulates the tubing diameter and wall thickness for specific weight ranges. The rule books also specify which tubular members need to comply to the rules. . .not all of them do, this where most people try to save some weight. You will mostly see 0.120" WT tubing used. . .I have occasionally seen the use of 0.090" WT for non-critical applications.

As far as diameter goes, for critical structures the smalles the rule books allow is typically 1 1/2" for the lightest vehicles. . .can't remember what the max. weight is for 1 1/2" tubing is but it's pretty light. Most full-on TT's use 2" tube.

Baileigh Inc

Besides 1 3/4” (cages), what tends to be the other most popular tubing size for offroad race truck parts? I’m getting ready to order a bender and am curious what most other folks are using for the smaller tube sizes.

Thanks!
What are you looking to build? I spend 45-50 hours a week on the phone with the off road crowd and can tell you what dies are most common.

ErikShallbetter

1.25 for light bars and small stuff.

1.5, 1.75, and 2.0 should let you build almost anything.

Pro-lites use alot of 1.5 OD
Pro-2 uses alot of 1.75 OD
and my class 3 bronco is all 2.0 in the cab.