PORK PITS @ the Baja 500

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
PORK PITS
BAJA 500 Pit Report

Friday June 5th, 2009
The Pork Pit crew was up bright and early headed toward San Diego. Cheese had to pick up Cannon Ball at the airport. Cannon Ball is a newbie and was coming down from the bay area. We met up at the Chevron off of San Ysidro and headed to the border. As long as I can remember, we’ve never been sent to the secondary while going into Mex. However, Cheese’s truck had a tarp over all the equipment….even though he got the “pase” from the old school traffic light, an agent signaled him to hit secondary. Not too long of a wait – the female officer could not get the tarp up to look under, asked where we were going and sent us on our way. Nice, mellow drive to Ensenada for contingency/tech. We do the usual, see some friends, talk shop and have a couple tacos and cervezas for lunch. A quick “check-in” with Pistola and we were going to head out to our pit. We made a quick stop at Hussong’s to pick up some T’s. While heading back to the lot, Cheese thought he left his camcorder at the bar. He went back and it wasn’t there (more on that later)…Get to the trucks and head out to RM98. Cheese’s GPS was acting up and we had a little difficulty getting to the race course. However, we met up with a local who happened to know the area, somewhat. We asked if he had a GPS….his reply, “I’m a Mexican GPS” and we were on our way. Needless to say, we found the pit with our Mexican GPS. Turns out we are pitted between the famous Checker clan and the Flyin’ Hawaiian crew.

Saturday Jun 6th, 2009
Race morning we get up for some breakfast and final preparation for our pit. Fast Eddy shows up with his boys and one chica. Rehearse the pit stop several times and watch the bikes and quads haul the mail by us. After the TT’s were off the line, Fast Eddy was doing a “potty dance” as TT#2 was stopped near Ojos with an issue. After a few minutes, she was running at race speed again and Eddy was chillax.

About 11am, we got a call that there was an injured rider being transported to RM 98. The rider had a laceration on his leg but it wasn’t life threatening. Supposedly, he was being transported down the ranch road to our location. We notified WM that we had two EMT’s (one ours, one Plueger’s), medical kits, and we were waiting for the injured rider. However, the rider and transport never showed up. We heard later he was being treated at a hospital.

12:25pm…We’re all suited up for the fuel dump and the first several TT’s go by our location haulin’ the mail. I designate "New F'n Guy, Cannonball" to be our videographer on top of the chase rack....No problem right? Newbie forgets my video camera is on "pause" and misses the first 10 4-wheel vehicles screaming by our pit. No biggy...we'll make him water or towel by next race. Anyway, radio contact was made and in comes TT#2 approximately 1 minute after “Donkey” as Pete called PAB. Fuel dump, a few pumps to bleed the front brakes (from a broken line earlier), H20, towels, and they were back on it. Pretty clean pit. Before Fast Eddie & crew took off, we were chatting and it turns out Cheese left his camcorder on the TT#2 trailer the day before. Figure we’d catch up w/them in the morning.

Every other pit packed up and left after their duties @ RM 98. Pork Pits stayed the night and assisted some others throughout the evening. Just after 1400 hours, a Missing Lenk chase truck rolled up on our location. Out of the blue they asked if we had a welder. Apparently, a rock jumped out at them and the result was a broken a-arm @ RM 107. No problem….gave them ours, but they didn’t have a 220v generator to power it. Loaned them all the goods to get Race 108 fixed up.

At 18:22 we hadn’t seen a race vehicle for about two hours. We decided to give the Pork Pits traditional “BA” to the next race vehicle through our location. Race #1845 was the lucky recipient.

Back to Missing Lenk…we told the ML chase guys that we’d get the equipment back after the race or in the states since they needed to continue chasing. They made a special trip back to our location in order to return the tools/equipment. Quick bench racing session around the fire and then they were off. Glad they were able to continue!!!

#1548 was one of the last vehicles through our location. They missed the left hander, cruised a little bit and before we new it, their entire crew and race vehicle were in our pit. This was a race truck that had been involved in an accident at Ojos. A local vehicle going backwards on the course…driver was sent to the police station and released. We gave them some fuel, gave the truck a once over, and tried to send them on their way…Ha, ha…race truck finally left. However, their crew decided to stay a while by the fire. Good times.

Sunday June 7th, 2009
Packed the pit up, headed to Ensenada to retrieve said camcorder, and scooted to the border. Pistola’s crew had already left the Villa Marina. The toter-home next to them actually picked up the camcorder figuring someone would come looking. They guy that had it even took it to Ojos and filmed some more action on the rollers for us. Pretty sweet call on his part!!! Needless to say, the camcorder is being mailed home from Colorado.

While in line at the TJ border, a female CBP officer walks up to Cheese’s truck. I’m thinking he’s in trouble for the tarp thing again…The officer asked if she could put a “magnetic trainer” on his truck. Being the “Easy Cheese” kinda guy, he agreed. She put the “magnetic trainer” on his hitch and walked away. A few minutes later the CBP dog was over sniffing, barking, and taking down Cheese!!! Good Dog, found the contraband. Next thing Cheese knows is he’s headed to secondary AGAIN. It was the tarp, the CBP agent couldn’t see under it. He had to drive through the X-Ray machine and then was told to go park in line. Ironically, the female CBP agent walked by and Cheese asked her about the tarp. Cannon Ball told her he had a flight out of San Diego and asked if she thought he would make it. The officer told them to hold on and she walked away. Couple minutes later another office walks up with a yellow slip of paper and says “Here’s your get out of jail free card, have a nice day”. Back in the USA, dump Cannon Ball off at San Diego airport and home to the families.

All in all, another great trip to Baja. We’ll have additional comments and pictures on our website soon.

FIX’EM & STICK’EM!!!

Waldo

Attachments

CaptinCrash

Reaction
what tire is that on the back of the cops 12 car

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
what tire is that on the back of the cops 12 car
The COPS 12 car recently switched to Yokos so I'd assume that's what it is. Just a different tread???

The COPS class 1 uses BFG Projects...

Last edited:

mgobaja

Reaction
Cops car had a Yokohama carcass, with a recap from Parkhouse

Stimpy

Reaction
Waldo, Thanks for sharing your Baja story. It was a pleasure meeting you great folks!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Waldo, Thanks for sharing your Baja story. It was a pleasure meeting you great folks!
Good meeting you too Stimpy. I still have one of your crew's first aid IV-starter kits. I emailed Mike at the Plueger compound but haven't heard back. If you want to PM me the shop address, I'll just send it there and you guys can get it back to the rightful owner.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
COPS class 1 car on BFG treads...

I hear the smaller Yoks are lighter for the 12 cars???

Attachments

nohandslance

Reaction
Thanks Waldo for the post. Except for the pre-run, most of us only know the life of a well designed pit set-up. Thanks for the great pit pics.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Yes. The Yoks are much much lighter than the BFG Projects.
Totally...I was talking about the smaller "non-project" tires you guys run in the limited classes.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Thanks Waldo for the post. Except for the pre-run, most of us only know the life of a well designed pit set-up. Thanks for the great pit pics.
Not saying that we are a "well-designed pit setup"...but we try. We like to share our experiences in order to give a different perspective of the racing. We dig the in-car or professional video feeds/stories the race teams provide. The commentary from other racers, pit crews, and spectators are just an added bonus to this wonderful sport of off-road racing.

Keep on Keepin' on...

ML Racer

Reaction
Not saying that we are a "well-designed pit setup"...but we try. We like to share our experiences in order to give a different perspective of the racing. We dig the in-car or professional video feeds/stories the race teams provide. The commentary from other racers, pit crews, and spectators are just an added bonus to this wonderful sport of off-road racing.

Keep on Keepin' on...
Once again Brannon, thanks for the help. If it weren't for you and the boys at Pork Pits, Grant and I wouldn't have even gotton in the car;)

Moo Chas Gassy Azz, Me-A-Me-Goes

Attachments

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Waldo, looks like you moved to a better neighborhood than you had at the 1000 last year. We were listening to weatherman all day and my wife kept saying that we should have gone down and helped you guys out, since we weren't racing. If we don't race the 1000 this year maybe we will come help out the Pork Pits.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Once again Brannon, thanks for the help. If it weren't for you and the boys at Pork Pits, Grant and I wouldn't have even gotton in the car;)

Moo Chas Gassy Azz, Me-A-Me-Goes
Anytime Randy. Glad you got to race a little while!

Last edited:

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Waldo, looks like you moved to a better neighborhood than you had at the 1000 last year. We were listening to weatherman all day and my wife kept saying that we should have gone down and helped you guys out, since we weren't racing. If we don't race the 1000 this year maybe we will come help out the Pork Pits.
You all are more than welcome to join us @ the 1000. Not sure of our location(s) yet but that will unfold as it gets closer. Keep in touch.