Possible 2010 Yamaha YZ450F ???

Ryno

Reaction
Wow...That's different, but wow would it make the power. I'll be curious to see how much dirt gets in there.

amr126

Reaction
That's uber confusing why they would do that with the exhaust. I know honda went with the "mass centralization" idea, but that just kind of looks like a mess. As far as sound is concerned, the resonating chamber makes sense, but can someone explain the "tornado" exhaust? I guess the "straight shot" idea would be good for the intake. The only problem is that the bikes have enough power, as long as the exhaust is decent, the only real issue is handling. Also, what kind of fuel capacity capacity would that thing have? I don't know; It seems more like some guys fantasy on solidworks or something than a real idea.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
That's uber confusing why they would do that with the exhaust. I know honda went with the "mass centralization" idea, but that just kind of looks like a mess. As far as sound is concerned, the resonating chamber makes sense, but can someone explain the "tornado" exhaust? I guess the "straight shot" idea would be good for the intake. The only problem is that the bikes have enough power, as long as the exhaust is decent, the only real issue is handling. Also, what kind of fuel capacity capacity would that thing have? I don't know; It seems more like some guys fantasy on solidworks or something than a real idea.
I recall on the Cannondales that since the pipe was so short due to the reverse cylinder, that it lost a lot of power. That's why I'm guessing Yamaha is running a loop-de-loop lke pipe. I also wonder how hot that going to run at at operating temperature and if it will heat up the shock.

What I don't really see is where the air box and air filter are actually located and how easy it is going to be to get to for maintenance.

Chase 2

Reaction
Road racers have used the head swapped around design on and off for years and years. No advantage in off road IMO. I'm with AMR on this wet dream by an arm chair designer.

PBR

Reaction
i call bs! and where would the dezert tank go?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I dont understand why its so hard to believe, if one of you guys would have saw the new Husaberg before it was released you would have said the same thing LOL.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
The exhaust issue is because a 4 stroke needs a certain 'tuned length.' Super short large diameterh tubes are for mega mega high RPM. The backward thing would work as long as the engine runs backwards...otherwords you run into a 'thrust surface' issues.

Chase 2

Reaction
I thought the thrust surfaces only came into play with High Flow Flux Capacitors.

Chase 2

Reaction
This ain't a 2 stroke with exhaust ports, it doesn't care which direction it's spinning.
Ahhh dude man, 2 smokes don't care either. I had an old 100c Sachs (Chain Guide knows what those are) that you could put in gear and bump start it backwards!! It would run all day like that!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
No body noticed the lack of a kick start huh? Other things I've heard was that it is electric start.

But we wont know for sure for maybe 2 months when the bikes are released.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Ahhh dude man, 2 smokes don't care either. I had an old 100c Sachs (Chain Guide knows what those are) that you could put in gear and bump start it backwards!! It would run all day like that!
My 78 RM80 would run backwards also. Doesn't mean it was good for the piston.

I'll see your Sachs and raise you a Hodaka.......

Chase 2

Reaction
My 78 RM80 would run backwards also. Doesn't mean it was good for the piston.

I'll see your Sachs and raise you a Hodaka.......
We could never get any of our Hodakas to run backwards like the Sachs, maybe the Hodaka was too precision of a scooter. Ja Ja Ja Ja! So, your saying that its not good for the piston if the points were to open just after TDC rather than before??? Don't tell that to a bunch of teenagers with someone else's bike! Not that they would care!!!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
This ain't a 2 stroke with exhaust ports, it doesn't care which direction it's spinning.
You are correct...my mistake. Sometimes it is hard to forget all those years working on 2 strokes. I stand by my comment on the exhaust.

Also you could make a Suzuki TM400 Cyclone run backwards real easy. Actually those POS liked to run backwards more than they liked to run forwards. I still have scars on my leg from when I tried starting a customers' bike.

Also there is a 2 stroke technology used on snowmobiles that changes the ignition to make the engine run backwards for a cheap way to have reverse without gears.