Possible problem for people going to the 1000

M_Solms

Reaction
Possible need for import permits for motorhomes and permits denied for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks based on weight. I checked with Baja Bound and they said they have not been able to confirm if this actually applies to Baja.
Here are a couple links so if anyone has any solid info please share.

Motorhome Temporary Import Permits

Mexico RV Info

redline

Reaction
hmmm well that could get interesting. every single chase truck i know of is well over the maximum gvw!

"There are weight restrictions for vehicles that are NOT motorhomes getting vehicle TIPs for mainland. The GVWR cannot be more than 7,716 pounds (3.5 tons) if the vehicle is not a motorhome."

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
first line says NOT required for baja.....on the mexico rv info link.....

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
There hasn't been any problems with Baja.. The only change has been not letting things get by without getting taxed.
And tires they are sticking it to you for mismatched spares or your chase (with tires) not being in eye view of the race truck when crossing.

Best is for everyone to cross at the same time with the race truck.

M_Solms

Reaction
first line says NOT required for baja.....on the mexico rv info link.....

That is where there is some confusion now, like a possible recent change.

I called the Banjercito and asked over and over if it applied to Baja or just mainland and all they would say is go to TJ and get a permit.

I e-mailed Baja Bound and they told me they have been trying to get a answer from Banjercito and haven't been able to get a concrete answer.

Hope for the best but at the very least if anyone plans on using the ferry for chase trucks those plans might get squashed.

Hoping someone with a good source might be able to get a solid answer.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Has anyone been hassled for bringing more dirtbikes down than people in the vehicle? Like 4 bikes for 3 people in truck? All are USA registered with paperwork.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
Has anyone been hassled for bringing more dirtbikes down than people in the vehicle? Like 4 bikes for 3 people in truck? All are USA registered with paperwork.
no. it shouldn't I crossed with 2-3 atvs just by myself and never had an issue.

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Still can't believe we dont have anyone to comment who has crossed recently.

M_Solms

Reaction
Still can't believe we dont have anyone to comment who has crossed recently.
I'm pretty sure after reading post from people on other sites going into Baja probably won't be a problem.

I also think though after reading what people wrote on other sites the new weight restrictions could seriously ruin some peoples plans that want to cross over to the mainland after the race and come back up on that side with their trucks.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I think they have lost something in the translation. It is likely that the intent of the 7716 lb limit is cargo load, not GVWR as stated since that would essentially ban any 3/4 ton and up pickups from mainland. Quite possible that the person who put GVWR into the the law does not know what it means and thought it was cargo capacity.

And as stated, none of this applies to Baja, yet.

M_Solms

Reaction
I think they have lost something in the translation. It is likely that the intent of the 7716 lb limit is cargo load, not GVWR as stated since that would essentially ban any 3/4 ton and up pickups from mainland. Quite possible that the person who put GVWR into the the law does not know what it means and thought it was cargo capacity.

And as stated, none of this applies to Baja, yet.

Actually people are reporting that they are being turned away with their 3/4 ton trucks they take down to job sites and people are having to come get them in 1/2 ton trucks. E-350 vans are being denied permits also.

The last link I posted talks about what you said with them flip flopping back and forth on how the weight is computed but as of this month they are back to GVWR and turning people away.

51rcr

Reaction
So you think Mexico is going to turn away 300 3/4 pickups and trailers lined up to each spend small fortunes there? With this in mind do groups of racers cross together at one time?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Well, since it doesn't apply to Baja, maybe it is nothing, But all the folks in fear of having their truck confiscated and their money absconded with, just stay home. The rest of us will let you know how much Baja is Better!

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Oh those facebooks groups everyone is an expert with no proof... I asked and getting jailhouse law experts

Mooch2Peril

Reaction

From that posted article (summary kinda maybe sorta for most of us):

Kramer’s website also states another law that will affect a lot of visitors and businesses: “A vehicle [that’s not an RV] can no longer tow another vehicle into Mexico (i.e., a truck cannot tow a car into Mexico). If you need to tow another vehicle, we recommend that you have someone drive the second vehicle across the border if possible and then hook up to tow the vehicle once across the border.”

Regarding the racers and their families driving in with their RVs and loaded trailers come mid-November, “Usually the participants in the Baja 1000 get special permission to be a part of the event without getting [permits, along with other special treatment],” Kramer said.

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Best laugh of the year in that story.The only source they use is Discovery Baja. The company and website we are all questioning. The only example of proof is an RV that crosses without paying a TIp?
But refers back to the company in question saying NOPE you have to buy one. Contact us & for $50 we will process your $49 TIP for a total of $100...

FISHY MUCH¡