possible rally or fun car?

KitRacer

Reaction
My cousin came down from canda to san diego in an 85 turbo all wheel drive subaru wagon w/ an automatic. The engine let go in Vegas and it now sits at my house. Is this thing good for anything? He wants to let it go for $400. I dont think i caould get it registered for cheap, its got a kilometer dash in it and what not. Is this car cheap to rebuild? Are manual trannys w/ 4 low available? What is this thing good for?

jeff

Reaction
They aren't that cheap to build. Getting older model Subaru parts in San Diego will be rough probably not too cheap. Some of the Subaru vehicles do have manual xfer cases and some had 4-hi / 4-lo positions. That all stopped around 1994 (in US models) and they went to the all-wheel-drive system. You can probably still find the manual systems in non-US spec Subaru vehicles but I'm not positive. Yeah you could convert it but the cost would probably make you think otherwise.

People give these cars away that are in running condition. Over on NASIOC.com I remember a guy giving one away who lived in Lake Forest. Free is $400.00 cheaper than $400.00 too. For what it's worth it might be a fun little project car but it's probably barely worth $400.00 US with a blown motor. If you could rebuild the motor for cheap you could probably get $400.00 worth of fun out of it in the dirt. Old Subaru cars kick ass in the dirt. In high school I had some friends with Subarus and we'd beat the snot out of them. I even got in a wreck in one (hit a phone pole sideways in the snow) and we just kept on driving. Strong little cars with lots of beating potential.

Aloha

KitRacer

Reaction
we got the car to San Diego at my house, i was thinkin about gettin it to run cheaply and takin it out and thrashin it. Ive aready built a roll cage for an identical car before too. Im sure i can get $400 worth the fun out of it with 5 buddies in it

Thanx for the info i appreciate it

Crayfish

Reaction
I bought an 86 Audi 4000 Quattro for $250 to turn into a rally/rally-x car. Parts are plentiful for this car and I have been buying stuff at junkyards to get it ready just to register. I am up to about $1000 and it hasn't left my driveway. The motor is good, transmission is good and the Quattro works and it still is going to end up costing some money to get it rally ready.

Check into all the motor swap options for the model year and maybe a later model motor/transmission will easily bolt in.

Do some reasearch before you buy it, just because it's cheap and you may save money in the long run.

I also have an 83 Audi Quattro Turbo that I am swapping in a motor from a later model 5000 Turbo just because parts are difficult to find/expensive for the 83 as it was only imported to the U.S. for three years and only enough to qualify them to rally, around 750 cars I think.

If you decide to buy that car it would make a good rally-x car and it doesn't need a cage for that. Just a thought.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Crayfish