Post Race DQ?

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
I was just browsing the mylaps.com site for the last LOORS event in Lake Elsinore. I stumbled accross Austin Kimbrell (sp?), and it said he was DQ'd in post race tech. What was found not legal? It's not often the fastest cat in the class is found illegal... Usually the guys up front are legal, and the guys that can't keep up are cheating. Since these guys can't win, and they are cheating, they think the leaders must be cheating...

This time it was one of the front runners, so do tell, what was illegal?

07FJRog

Reaction
I was just browsing the mylaps.com site for the last LOORS event in Lake Elsinore. I stumbled accross Austin Kimbrell (sp?), and it said he was DQ'd in post race tech. What was found not legal? It's not often the fastest cat in the class is found illegal... Usually the guys up front are legal, and the guys that can't keep up are cheating. Since these guys can't win, and they are cheating, they think the leaders must be cheating...

This time it was one of the front runners, so do tell, what was illegal?

Motor was oversize, Weller racing posted a response to this on UTV underground and rhino forums about this.

This came from a misunderstanding of a % margin variance like we had in CORR last year due to testing with the fluid check for cylinder volume, this year the the actual bore and stroke were checked. 2.8cc over 800cc

hope 450girl does not mind, I put the link to response below. stand up peeps IMO.

http://www.utvunderground.com/f18/weller-racing-responds-kimbrell-s-dq-loorrs-round-6-a-1736.html

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
After reading those posts on UTVUnderground, it looks like my post is stirring the pot. Definitely not my intension.

Let's steer this thread down another path...

Why should the sanctioning body (in this case LOORS), be expected to have a cushion built in to their measurements? I would like to think that all the engine builders are capable of building in their own cushion. There's a reason that we built a 2478cc. engine for the Pro-Lite, and not 2499cc! When CORR was allowing for an extra 2cc. in their test cylinder (which ever cylinder they chose to test), it was routine to run the Ford engines upto 2701cc. Clearly this was over the 2700cc limit, but under the 2708cc. limit that was understood. Once it became clear that the 2700cc. limit would be enforced with no allowance for wear or test indiscrepencies, the Pro-Lite builders stoped using the last .003" overbore during rebuilds, and started sleeving the cylinders back down to the original 3.934" bore.

If you know the max size allowed for your engine is 400cc. per cylinder, build it with enough room that you are SURE that the tech guys will find your engine legal. Usually that ends up ~ .002" on bore/ stroke. If you are stuck with a given stroke, make up the difference with the bore. Total Seal will make you rings in ANY bore/ thickness you want. In the metric bore ranges, rings are available in .25mm. bore increments. You're fooling yourself if you think that the engine is going to be down noticebly on power because of that .010" smaller bore!

Now let me state that this is in no way a jab at the Weller's! They have been very stand up about the situation, and are adjusting their practices to allow for more measuring error by the tech guys. I just wanted to see why the tech guys are made to look like the bad guys for enforcing the rules with the tools we all know they have. If you think you might be questionable, have them check your stuff BEFORE the race!

JoeyD23

Reaction
I think after hearing all sides and discussion occuring thatthe Lucas Tech guys indeed did their jobs correctly and now everyone knows what to be careful of come next round. It sucks that Austin was DQ'd but everyone learns and its onwards and upwards.

07FJRog

Reaction
After reading those posts on UTVUnderground, it looks like my post is stirring the pot. Definitely not my intension.

Let's steer this thread down another path...

Why should the sanctioning body (in this case LOORS), be expected to have a cushion built in to their measurements? I would like to think that all the engine builders are capable of building in their own cushion. There's a reason that we built a 2478cc. engine for the Pro-Lite, and not 2499cc! When CORR was allowing for an extra 2cc. in their test cylinder (which ever cylinder they chose to test), it was routine to run the Ford engines upto 2701cc. Clearly this was over the 2700cc limit, but under the 2708cc. limit that was understood. Once it became clear that the 2700cc. limit would be enforced with no allowance for wear or test indiscrepencies, the Pro-Lite builders stoped using the last .003" overbore during rebuilds, and started sleeving the cylinders back down to the original 3.934" bore.

If you know the max size allowed for your engine is 400cc. per cylinder, build it with enough room that you are SURE that the tech guys will find your engine legal. Usually that ends up ~ .002" on bore/ stroke. If you are stuck with a given stroke, make up the difference with the bore. Total Seal will make you rings in ANY bore/ thickness you want. In the metric bore ranges, rings are available in .25mm. bore increments. You're fooling yourself if you think that the engine is going to be down noticebly on power because of that .010" smaller bore!

Now let me state that this is in no way a jab at the Weller's! They have been very stand up about the situation, and are adjusting their practices to allow for more measuring error by the tech guys. I just wanted to see why the tech guys are made to look like the bad guys for enforcing the rules with the tools we all know they have. If you think you might be questionable, have them check your stuff BEFORE the race!

I agree, there should be no need for an overage percentage this year.

Last year CORR did a fluid test for volume. hence there was room for error on the test, hence a margin was allowed for being over. LUCAS did an actual bore-stroke measurement, there should be no discrepancy here.

Like you stated, there are (in this case) 87.5 pistons/cylinders available for the kawasaki that make it 793cc, the 88mm pistons make it 802.8cc.

I do not think you stirred the pot, you just asked for more info regarding the DQ. we understand.

Rog

Last edited: