• Forum membership has its advantages....

Post your old race photos!

5280Ranger

I found a whole stack of pics from the Mint 400 in maybe 1989? I'll start with class 7. As I have time I'll add class 1,3,4,5,6 and 8.

Attachments

Bro_Gill

766- Can't remember the name but the sponsor is Plaza Automotive in Riverside, still there I believe. As to the 2 Porsches, both were 5 legal at one point, then I think they outlawed the 6 cylinder motor, so maybe they ran one on Class 2 and put a smaller motor in the other for class 5?

NicksTrix

766 could be the Schlamans. they had sheet metal biz n riverside. they tried driving for a while then chris robinson drove for them. the started out painted up in team jeep colors (red) but never got anything other than maybe some minimal support. nice family.

Rory

Crayola Killer
VanKirk. Early 90s..
Yes, Leroy VanKirk. I think he owned or had something to do with Pyrotech (plastic truck bed liners) in the 80's. He had a 2 seat class 10 Raceco then hired James Barbuea (sp?) from DRP (Desert Racing Performance) out of Las Vegas to build him 2 Porsche Raceco's in the late 80's, one for class 5 and one for class 2. They were both state of the art at the time and with the right drivers could have been contenders.

toddz

703 is Wayne Lee from the Phoenix area (I think). Hard to run in 7 open back then without factory support.
It would make sense that he would be from Phoenix - I see a TR Stump sticker on the truck and he did prep work here in Phoenix. Also built Larry Ragland's Blazer pre runner.

Todd Z.

Rick 1634

766- As to the 2 Porsches, both were 5 legal at one point, then I think they outlawed the 6 cylinder motor, so maybe they ran one on Class 2 and put a smaller motor in the other for class 5?
I remember racing against Van Kirks 5 car, It had a 6 cylinder Porsche for one season and never saw it again.

bhernquist

Yes, Leroy VanKirk. I think he owned or had something to do with Pyrotech (plastic truck bed liners) in the 80's. He had a 2 seat class 10 Raceco then hired James Barbuea (sp?) from DRP (Desert Racing Performance) out of Las Vegas to build him 2 Porsche Raceco's in the late 80's, one for class 5 and one for class 2. They were both state of the art at the time and with the right drivers could have been contenders.
They were fast for sure. Both cars had twin plug Porsche motors if I recall correctly. They seemed to be bit by odd gremlins most races and I don't think they ever won a race. Wonder where they are..

5280Ranger

Man I really miss class 6. When I was 17 I traded a baja bug for a Firebird and attempted to make a class 6 prerunner. Man was I stupid, I'd love to have that Firebird back. Ended up trading it for a 2 Husky 250xcs. Oh well, young and dumb.

Attachments