• Forum membership has its advantages....

Potter

Detbohica

one word potter

OWNED
That got a laugh out of me, after being depressed reading this thread. I am worried since I am looking for a class 5/1600, and worried what kind of people are out there, and who can you trust.

D

Dan McMillin

I could be wrong, but I believe Rummur is an old old wooden ship, used in the Civil War era.

PGMazzio

That got a laugh out of me, after being depressed reading this thread. I am worried since I am looking for a class 5/1600, and worried what kind of people are out there, and who can you trust.

I started a thread called "these guys are awesome", it is the opposite of this thread, guys letting everyone know who has done them right. So far alot of people who have responded with some great examples of builders who went above and beyond for them. Might give you a good list of people to contact about a future build.

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
I had POTTER build me a roller 4-seater and had a shock mount break on it and called him on it and he made it good [replaced king shock and lower front arm also was willing to pay for powder coating]. He did me good after I had a problem.

shadgirl

He purchased a bunch of parts from us Shadow Trailers in Cypress, CA and bounced his check of $1400.00 he won't return our calls, emails and has moved from his business address. Anyone have contact with him?? He's ripping everyone off don't buy his cars he's a fraud. If anyone has any information to his whereabouts please call Shadow Trailers 714-995-4353 or please email us anonymously at [email protected]

jsandgren10

I have not dealt with this guy personally but both my cousin and uncle bought his "econo" version cars he is selling as rolling chassis. They used honda 3.5L engines, bus 091, etc. Long story short they got them home and the engine was mounted at way too much angle for the oil pan to be very useful, so they had to change the mounting. Also there was like 1' of extra cage hanging off the back for no reason so had to shorten them up. Once they got them all together so far they have had issues beyond belief with the cheap gas tank that was put in there. They have had each tank crack 3 times a piece, right around where the shifter goes through the tank. There is just too much flexing for that thin of aluminum used, so now they have to build new tanks with no help from Potter. Also the radiators were mounted way to low that they had nothing but water temp problems so they had to raise them a few inches, and build some "scoops" to pull some air in from the sides, and the cabs just swirl dirt in.

Needless to say they aren't very happy and have been told by Potter that when they picked them up was pretty much an as is deal.

NIKAL

I have not dealt with this guy personally but both my cousin and uncle bought his "econo" version cars he is selling as rolling chassis. They used honda 3.5L engines, bus 091, etc. Long story short they got them home and the engine was mounted at way too much angle for the oil pan to be very useful, so they had to change the mounting. Also there was like 1' of extra cage hanging off the back for no reason so had to shorten them up. Once they got them all together so far they have had issues beyond belief with the cheap gas tank that was put in there. They have had each tank crack 3 times a piece, right around where the shifter goes through the tank. There is just too much flexing for that thin of aluminum used, so now they have to build new tanks with no help from Potter. Also the radiators were mounted way to low that they had nothing but water temp problems so they had to raise them a few inches, and build some "scoops" to pull some air in from the sides, and the cabs just swirl dirt in.

Needless to say they aren't very happy and have been told by Potter that when they picked them up was pretty much an as is deal.
Bummer to hear about this. When your cusin & uncle first ordered cars from Potter, your cusin was posting updates & pictures about these 2 cars on GD.com. Part way through he quit updating about the build. Now I can see why. Do you know if they have had any issues with the front arms or shock mounts? That was one of the places I thought they might have problems, including on how low the radiator was mounted.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
This is a really old thread...any new news on this builder?? Basically four years have passed since its start...they could be kicking butt now...or gone for good..anyone know?

Another builder who has ripped off his customers before going out of business is Nolan Winward (Winward Motorsports) in Las Vegas...stay clear of him if he goes back into business again.

This stuff in fabrication is not new. Dark-horse builders who suck always use the excuse of bad times...the recession, etc. For non-delivery.

The truth is they have bad business skills first and build so slowly or poorly that they cannot even afford to pay for their own labor, let alone make a profit.

Better off buying a used race car/truck next time...there's no going back.

Last edited:

jsandgren10

Bummer to hear about this. When your cusin & uncle first ordered cars from Potter, your cusin was posting updates & pictures about these 2 cars on GD.com. Part way through he quit updating about the build. Now I can see why. Do you know if they have had any issues with the front arms or shock mounts? That was one of the places I thought they might have problems, including on how low the radiator was mounted.
So far they haven't had any issues with the front arms or shock mounts. I'm not sure if they did anything to those as they built them up. The cars work good when the gas tanks aren't leaking.

jsandgren10

This is a really old thread...any new news on this builder?? Basically four years have passed since its start...they could be kicking butt now...or gone for good..anyone know?

Another builder who has ripped off his customers before going out of business is Nolan Winward (Winward Motorsports) in Las Vegas...stay clear of him if he goes back into business again.

This stuff in fabrication is not new. Dark-horse builders who suck always use the excuse of bad times...the recession, etc. For non-delivery.

The truth is they have bad business skills first and build so slowly or poorly that they cannot even afford to pay for their own labor, let alone make a profit.

Better off buying a used race car/truck next time...there's no going back.

Yes this is an old thread, and I haven't really posted on here before, but was just doing a search on Potter cars since I knew he and a couple others are building the "econo" cars now. When I came on this thread I thought I would share their dealings with him. And this is recent information they received the chassis last December and got them up and running around March-May of 2012. Since then the tanks have leaked and been repaired 3 times on one car twice on another. And they have only had the cars out roughly 5-6 times. So they are in the process of pulling the tanks a 4th time and going to have new tanks fabricated out of thicker aluminum and baffle it for some support because they just flex way too much as they are now.

He is still in business.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Yikes...how can you screw up a fuel cell?? Why risk it?? Learn not to burn (literally), or get "burnt" (financially)...

racer56

Did the cars come with aluminum fuel tanks or fuel cells?

Yes this is an old thread, and I haven't really posted on here before, but was just doing a search on Potter cars since I knew he and a couple others are building the "econo" cars now. When I came on this thread I thought I would share their dealings with him. And this is recent information they received the chassis last December and got them up and running around March-May of 2012. Since then the tanks have leaked and been repaired 3 times on one car twice on another. And they have only had the cars out roughly 5-6 times. So they are in the process of pulling the tanks a 4th time and going to have new tanks fabricated out of thicker aluminum and baffle it for some support because they just flex way too much as they are now.

He is still in business.

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Did the cars come with aluminum fuel tanks or fuel cells?
Sounds like an aluminum TANK I don't know any thing about this car or any of the people involved with this car. If I was going to build an"econo" car the fuel cell is not the place to be a cheap A// and if Raymond let you put it in he knows better. Do all of the offroad sport a big favor and throw out the tank and get a cell!!!!!!

NIKAL

Sounds like an aluminum TANK I don't know any thing about this car or any of the people involved with this car. If I was going to build an"econo" car the fuel cell is not the place to be a cheap A// and if Raymond let you put it in he knows better. Do all of the offroad sport a big favor and throw out the tank and get a cell!!!!!!
From what I remember about these cars, Raymond is who did all the aluminum work including the fuel tank. Part of the Econo package was all aluminum included. I dont remember the price for the aluminum, but is was stupid cheap, so it does not suprise me the tank was just a tank and did not even have any internal baffling to help support the tank.

They seemed to be nice little cars for the money. Here is a pitcure of the first one Raymond did.

Attachments

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Looks like a little 3000 class car...

jowoog

Man i hate reading old threads, then realizing its an old thread .....

TONYD

Update:
Stay away from Raymond Potter @ Potter Productions !!!!!
This Turd sent me lien papers for a car that I luckily sold years ago.
The newest owner took it to Raymonds shop for repairs and while waiting for insurance approval, Raymond decided the car should be his and filled lien for it.
How is that for customer service???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: