Powder Coated Chassi

gabe928

RDC Crypto
Ok, My question is why not do it? . No dealing with rust or nasty cleaning, You can just spray it out. Or is it that people are just to scared due to change? To many people like to change things around, so its a hasle to sand and grind it of. Maybe its because you cant see cracks as easy. Well i want your opinions on the ups and downs.

robertharman

RDC Crypto
Harder to find cracks and alot harder to fix when you do find them. You have to remove the pwder coat from the area you are fixing ( if you have never tried to remove powder coat, try it, youll know why it sucks).

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
RDC Crypto
Exactly. You can't have a powder coated race vehicle. Race vehicle parts are constantly being maged and fixed for cracks.

westernmotorsports7203

RDC Crypto
also when you do fix a crack with a powder coated frame and you do go to paint it with rattle can. All of a sudden the paint doesnt match and now you have dalmatian as a race car

Ron Dalke

RDC Crypto
Race cars are never 100 percent done, all ways being change added to, up graded, welded on ,being fixed from crashes not to mention all the extra work in volved by the conpleete dissasembly, more costly. I did it to two cars class 1 and supperbuggy than first race out got tagged by a car and hit the wall had to cut the back half off. the class 1 I did it to sel it but it was alot easer to clean.

blacksheep

RDC Crypto
i have a powder coated chassis on a 12 car. what we did was race it the first year and checked for cracks. then we took it and had it stressed relieved and heat treated and have had no problems. after scotch brighting it the first year plus my attitude was screw that. it sure is nice coming back from mexico and pressure washing it then start taking it apart.a raw chassis after a mexico race is a total rust ball. there are some areas that when scotch brighting that usually cant be done well anyways so what happens water sitting there and rusting anyways? just my 2 cents

JPBart

RDC Crypto
Great for cleaning. Terrible for repairs. If you are one of those people who never change anything on the car and never have to repair it, maybe. But you are gambling that you wont have to do a repair. If you do, it's going to be ugly and more of a pita than just cleaning the bare chassis would have been.

SEANY

RDC Crypto
It all depends on how often you race and your budget. I did a class one car and it was so nice. Just once a season plan on having it walnut blasted and heat treated then re powder coat. It seems expensive but add up the cost of wd40, scotch brite, and your own time and you'll see it's worth the 2k a year.

redmist

RDC Crypto
It's actually reasonably easy to remove powdercoat for repair of chassis. You simply use a smokey flame, heat the area and it reverts to powder.
I've run powder coat for several seasons. I'll never go back to scrubbing a chassis for hours on end.

NicksTrix

RDC Crypto
Website
www.NicksTrix.com
might want to think about an nice epoxy primer. you can tint them as well. easy to get off for field repair, you can see cracks and easy to touch up. touch enough for what you are doing.
years ago i used a zinc chromate for chassis & susp parts on big mac. not sure you can even get it any longer. worked great.