Powder Puff Fatality

TauMau

Reaction
Website
www.wisdomracing.com
I'd prefer personal accountability over upping the amount of BLM agents running around.

I wasn't there but here's what I've read:

Apparently the guy blew a 0.0 on the breathalyzer. He was stopped earlier in the day for wreckless driving.

uffda1309

Reaction
I'd prefer personal accountability over upping the amount of BLM agents running around.

I wasn't there but here's what I've read:

Apparently the guy blew a 0.0 on the breathalyzer. He was stopped earlier in the day for wreckless driving.

How do you get accountability if the man is not there to enforce?

shred it 1445

Reaction
I just have a couple things to say... I feelt the event as a whole was a little dangerous..... sooo many people were there and alot of people chasing cars from pit to pit just to see them go through instead of staying put at a pit. All I know is I have been through tech at MORE races many times and normally they do a great job on doing the inspections... but at the powderpuff this year they didnt even check my fuel lines, look inside helmets, they only looked at one firesuit, they prettymuch stuck the sticker on the helmet and grabed the paperwork. I would of thought that with soo many people on a short corse, with most of them being thier first race you think they would of inspected a little more thoughly. I know this comment may upset somepeople and thats not my intentions just stating what i noticed.

harleys dad

Reaction
I see the pictures have been removed, so sad. The knucle head in the truck sounds like he should have been stopped all day, I even read he side swipped a superduty??? Why was he not arrested for hit and run??? for that?? It was a pretty obvios vehicle to see and locate, and if all the post are true, he was up and down all day long pissing people off!!!It would have saved this poor fellas life if one person would have acted, especially the side swipped superduty!!, or are all the posts false. What a shame and unneeded result.

Prerundakota

Reaction
i would like to throw some thing out about this incident. i personally know the driver of the ranger and would have to say he is a great guy. and alot of people are saying stuff that is not true! for those of you who were there you know the stuff your posting isnt what really happened. i can personally tell you that he is hurt deeply by this incident and wishes it didnt happen. but accidents happen to the best of us. im sad for him because its bad enough that this tragic accident happened but then right when you think the people you can count on turns there back on you its sad. i once told a group of my friends on a way to meet him at an mdr race that i love all the race people and there attitudes because they will always stop to help or see if anything can be done! i guess i was wrong in saying "all"! the driver of the ranger, my friend, is guy that would do anything for you and also someone with a big heart would go out of his way to help someone. alot of people know this whether they have raced with him or just know him personally! i can only give my my heart out to the family who have lost there son and pray for the people who are spreding false information. i hope that this can be worked out in a respectful manner and we can all go back out and honor those who have passed by doing what they onced loved to do themselves. racing and playing in the desert

Fourstroker

Reaction
I just have a couple things to say... I feelt the event as a whole was a little dangerous..... sooo many people were there and alot of people chasing cars from pit to pit just to see them go through instead of staying put at a pit. All I know is I have been through tech at MORE races many times and normally they do a great job on doing the inspections... but at the powderpuff this year they didnt even check my fuel lines, look inside helmets, they only looked at one firesuit, they prettymuch stuck the sticker on the helmet and grabed the paperwork. I would of thought that with soo many people on a short corse, with most of them being thier first race you think they would of inspected a little more thoughly. I know this comment may upset somepeople and thats not my intentions just stating what i noticed.

Funny you say that. Our experience was exactly the opposite. They actually had one inspector looking at helmets and suits upstream before you got to the main tech area. They also made my wife go through all of the normal inside the car stuff and show the inspector where all of safety stuff was (first aid kit, triangles, fire extinguisher, etc)

ML Racer

Reaction
i would like to throw some thing out about this incident. i personally know the driver of the ranger and would have to say he is a great guy. and alot of people are saying stuff that is not true! for those of you who were there you know the stuff your posting isnt what really happened. i can personally tell you that he is hurt deeply by this incident and wishes it didnt happen. but accidents happen to the best of us. im sad for him because its bad enough that this tragic accident happened but then right when you think the people you can count on turns there back on you its sad. i once told a group of my friends on a way to meet him at an mdr race that i love all the race people and there attitudes because they will always stop to help or see if anything can be done! i guess i was wrong in saying "all"! the driver of the ranger, my friend, is guy that would do anything for you and also someone with a big heart would go out of his way to help someone. alot of people know this whether they have raced with him or just know him personally! i can only give my my heart out to the family who have lost there son and pray for the people who are spreding false information. i hope that this can be worked out in a respectful manner and we can all go back out and honor those who have passed by doing what they onced loved to do themselves. racing and playing in the desert

I have a question thats been on my mind thru all of this, why would a guy bring his "race truck" to an all female charity event in the first place:rolleyes:

shred it 1445

Reaction
Funny you say that. Our experience was exactly the opposite. They actually had one inspector looking at helmets and suits upstream before you got to the main tech area. They also made my wife go through all of the normal inside the car stuff and show the inspector where all of safety stuff was (first aid kit, triangles, fire extinguisher, etc)

Thats good to hear that they were doing that...because that didn't happen with our car. Last year we got those same questions asked but not this year....at least other cars were inspected properly...maybe we just we one of the few i dunno

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
i would like to throw some thing out about this incident. i personally know the driver of the ranger and would have to say he is a great guy. and alot of people are saying stuff that is not true! for those of you who were there you know the stuff your posting isnt what really happened.

not sure i understand what you're saying. it sounds like you were there
and saw something different than a half dozen people who are now lying
about what they saw? why would they do that?

Polarcub

Reaction
I am the first to admit that I cant stand the hauling arse around pits/camps regardless of the race. I enjoy my fun when I can and try to make sure that I am aware of my surroundings. This may have been a pure accident and from the sound of things I think that it was. That does not change the outcome of the accident or the fact that people saw the vehicle conducting themselves poorly prior to. I did not witness the accident, I was working at MM3 road crossing with some friends and heard about it. I read in an earlier post that both drivers were cleared of fault and no alcohol was involved, I hope that this is the case. I enjoy my adult beverages but I see way too many being consumed by drivers all the time, when the frosty beverages appear the keys go away. I am sure that the survivors are in shock and all of them great people. I think at this point it is only fair to share what is known to be fact and "pit racing" discussions can go to another thread. The pit racing and genral inconsiderate people frequent all aspects of our sport.
Again my condolences go out to the family and friends of all involved.
Jeremy

NoPavementRacer

Reaction

Ditto........Or team had to do all the "normal" tech stuff. Just like every other race.
Don't push this thread to a bash on the promoter.

Our prayers our for all those who are affected by this terrible accident.

RCinqMars

Reaction
sorry....the real offroad community is pretty honest. I dont think that RDC posters would make stories up about the drivers actions, especially with an incident like this.

Prerundakota

Reaction
just because it was an all girl event means we cant bring our trucks out? no sorry that was a stupid question! anybody canbring whatever they want tothe desert at any given time

JMS

Reaction
Website
www.jstarmotorssjc.com
It sounds to me like a few bad decissions led to a very tragic accident. We all love our freedom, and it defintely makes for a more fun event when you can roam freely and see more of the race than just from Main pit, I like how it used to be in the "good ol days" when you could roam freely but only on a few designated roads, and the direction of travel was somewhat designated. There are too many blind turns out there and when you have a lot of people crammed into a small amount of real estate stuff like this is bound to happen.

I am sorry for both parties, It sounds like the authorities cleared both sides of fault so I think it should be left that way here and not speculative hearsay and finger pointing.

Polarcub

Reaction
just because it was an all girl event means we cant bring our trucks out? no sorry that was a stupid question! anybody canbring whatever they want tothe desert at any given time

Maybe I missed something but no one said you couldnt bring your toys out. while it is a free country, the point of the pit racing discussions is pretty simple. People should have some basic respect for others in the areas of campers/families.
As I said maybe I missed somehting but I have not seen anyone say you couldnt have fun out there just because a race is going on.
Jeremy

mojavehanna

Reaction
All I have to add is that I saw last week on another forum a guy asking for help for chasing for this race from those who would obviously have no clue of what that entailed. That is why Barstow is dangerous, not because of any one promoter, but because it's an OHV area and anyone and everyone can do whatever they want, go anywhere they want during a race... thats crazy! Asking for newbies to come out and "chase" that have no clue is also another aspect of the problem, you have to have a clue when working around speeding cars in the dust. Add to it all the drunken yahoos all over the course and those riding around clueless that a race is even taking place and it is a recipe for disaster.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Article from the Desert Dispatch (Local Barstow Newspaper)

BARSTOW • A 38-year-old Santa Ana man died after an off-road vehicle crash Saturday afternoon.
both vehicles were coming around a bend, with the Ford heading west and the Dune Buggy heading east, when the Ford crashed into the right front side of the Dune Buggy. Due to limited visibility from the brush and uneven ground, neither driver saw the other vehicle until it was too late, the report stated.

That website with the picture of the ranger shows 5 or 6 hid's on the roof. Did anybody that witnessed the truck driving around remember seeing his lights? If you've got them, you need to use them at speed, especially in a crowded area.