Power Steering Pump

Motorider

Reaction
OK, I got a used ps pump, because mine was puking out all over the place. This is in a Ford Ranger. At first it didn't sound very good, then the whine that it made slowly decreased. Then I turned the wheel all the way to the stops and it got worse again. So my question is, does it take a little bit for all the air pockets to get out. It almost sounds like it is not getting enough fluid, but I can look down the resivor, and see that it is pumping very well. I am stumped.
Thanks for the help

robert_encinas

Reaction
i believe the best way to get the air out is to turn lock to lock several times. are you sure that the squeeling isnt the pulley?, bearing?.

tedmales

Reaction
turn the wheel back and forth several times, and that should bleed out the air in the system. but it could be the pulley is soaked in fluid. also check the belt too make sure its line up. some pulleys are press on and do not always line up up. also, unless you know the history on the pump, maybe it might have some issues itself. good luck

life is too short to be small

kjmiller1

Reaction
It seems to me that a lot of fords around the early '90s made a whining noise, and is probably amplified with bigger tires. Unless its really bad, just live with it or try to find a good aftermarket

93 f150

Motorider

Reaction
I drove the truck around hoping that it would get better, thinking that something needed to be worked out. But it didn't change, but it seems to be working fine. No leaks, and pumping. Will there be a problem if I sieze the bearing, other than not having power steering?

bajaruner11

Reaction
Motorider
There are two way's of fixing your problem. First to try, let the truck sit overnight, lift the front tires off the ground and with the engine off, turn the steering wheel s l o w l y from lock to lock several times. This purges the air from the system which is causing the noise you hear, It's worked for me in the past on rangers. Second the proper way to do this is to either take the truck to a dealer or to a private service shop with a power steering flush and service machine. This machine flushes all contaminates from the system while it purges air from the pump and lines, this is how the factory does it. Ford pumps do have a problem being able to purge out air, and this is very common. Either way your problem is fixable.

tedmales

Reaction
if the pump locks up it could throw your belt or cause the engine to quit . if you were turning and all of a sudden no power steering, that coud be bad. but if you can live with it, then go for it. i have never had a power steering pump not purge air out after several minutes. that said i hope one of the other ways works for you, but i think chances are your pump is toast.

life is too short to be small

Motorider

Reaction
OK, I took the truck out to Gordon's Well this past weekend, and the truck handles really well. Power steering pump held up great, and the only replacement part that I need is a captive duz, and a little bit of work on the shocks. One thing I noticed when I was cranking on the front c/o is that I have powersteering fluid all over the place. Pump is still working good, I just think that from all the romping, (I think that it is a good word, because I was doing 75-85 (actual) from the canal all the way to the entrance for Patton's, hitting the biggest whoops, and I need to work on the rebound a little bit) that the fluid is coming out of the hole in the cap for the resivor for the p/s fluid. Does anyone else have this problem?