• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pre checks before first dune run

hey guys, I am taking my 2012 Ram Runner to Winchester bay pretty soon. I have never taken it out to the dunes and I have never hit a jump or whoops with it yet. I bought the truck used so I’m not sure how it will handle. The shocks are currently at fox getting rebuilt, but I was wondering, what else should I check before go? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jack

Attachments

Ranch Hand

First of all...remember it is NOT a race truck. so take it easy on the "jumps and whoops". Get to know your truck before trying to do any hero TT stuff. As far as prep, carefully go over the ENTIRE suspension, both front and rear....tighten and inspect ALL suspension parts and look for anything loose, bent or cracked. Check for any leaks of coolant, oil. gear grease, brake fluid, etc. Check battery tie downs and anything else that can, and will, come loose while going off-road. Obviously check all fluid levels and take some tools and any extra parts you have available......THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.......BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN !!!!

First of all...remember it is NOT a race truck. so take it easy on the "jumps and whoops". Get to know your truck before trying to do any hero TT stuff. As far as prep, carefully go over the ENTIRE suspension, both front and rear....tighten and inspect ALL suspension parts and look for anything loose, bent or cracked. Check for any leaks of coolant, oil. gear grease, brake fluid, etc. Check battery tie downs and anything else that can, and will, come loose while going off-road. Obviously check all fluid levels and take some tools and any extra parts you have available......THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.......BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN !!!!
Thanks for the advice! I know I can’t be jumping this thing like a trophy truck but I definitley wanna have a little fun with it haha. I know it’s got a small coolant leak, it takes a long time before I start noticing the temperature fluctuating on my tuner. I just replace both cv axels, rack and pinion and the shocks are being rebuilt. What would be the other main parts of the suspension to look at? Sorry for the noob questions I’m new to this haha.

AZ7000'

Do you have good roadside assist and towing? Short of having a purpose built truck or buggy and asking what suspension parts to look at and planning on "having a little fun with it" as a stock vehicle, your trip may not turn out well. Not getting on you but whenever one of my friends with bolt on aspirations goes to a real offroad race and sees the actual trucks and buggies they realize the reality. Doing cool things is VERY expensive... Before, during, and after.

Don't get me wrong, go and have fun but stock is stock. Stock full offroad is a beat down for the people and the truck, and very expensive.

I ain’t trying to jump this thing like a trophy truck I’m just trying to have fun. All the videos I’ve seen of the ram runner looks like it can do some fun stuff. I know it isn’t a race truck or a trophy truck, still doesn’t mean I can’t have some fun. I’m prepared to break some stuff cause I know it will happen. I’m new to the sport and I’m new to pre runners. I have always had wheelers and am used to crawling over rocks and going through mud holes. This is something new for me.