Pre-Pump Fuel Filter- 100 micron or 40 micron???

desertspeed

I have not been able to find a definitive answer- for a pre-pump filter, should I go with a 100 micron or 40 micron filter? This is for an EFI application. Aeromotive recommends a 100 micron filter on their website, but I have seen others who recommend a 40 micron filter. What does the collective wisdom on RDC think?

Dezertpilot

The more filtering ability a filter has the better, on the other hand if Aeromotive recommends a 100 micron and you are using said filter with their pump then you should be fine. Maybe 100 micron between cell and pump then 40 micron between pump and regulator/fuel rail?

DesertGuy1

On a previous "play" project, I ran the 100 Micron pre-pump and the 40 Micron post-pump per Aeromotive spec. They did not recommend a 40 Micron pre-pump as it may restrict unnecessary flow to the pump. The lower the number the greater the filteration. After talking with Aeromotive I ran it that way and never had any issues, FWIW

desertspeed

I should have added that yes, I am running a 40 micron filter after the pump. My concern was that a 40 micron filter before the pump would restrict flow too much- I am mainly trying to protect the pump from cell foam, rocks, small animals, etc. However, the 100 micron filters seem to cost twice as much as the 40 micron filters, so I was just trying to see what everyone recommends.

racer56

You should have a 10 micron filter after the pump for EFI applications. A 40 micron filter before the pump is ok, as long as you don't have Jaz yellow fuel cell foam.

desertspeed

Just got this confirmation from a Ford tech regarding the stock filter: Ford fuel filter specs call for multi point injection system to have a maximum rating of 10 microns absolute. Smaller is much better and filters of 5 microns absolute is preferred. A particulate of 40 microns will not go thru an injector and will cause permanent damage.

So, it sounds like the general concensus is a 100 micron filter before the pump to trap the big stuff, and a 10 micron filter after the pump.

Tipracer

This brings up a great question....where can I buy these parts in San Diego for relativly cheap?

Tipracer

I was just thinking, is there another option to have a replaceable/removable/reusable fuel filter that is easy to service? Preferably with the correct threaded ends? I want to add another filter before the fuel pump that has a large capacity so that if the foam does decide to crap out so that 1) It wont leave me screwed 2) It would take it a while before it becomes reclogged. Any ideas??? Jerry?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
On our 7s Ranger I use the Aeromotive 100 micron pre-pump filter, an Aeromotive EFI inline pump and a 10 micron NAPA Gold canister type filter after the pump. We have never had a problem using this set-up. We clean the pre-filter every race and change the 10 micron filter once a year.

I ordered all the Aeromotive parts from Summit. The pump itself was a little pricey but I'll pay a little extra for the reliability factor.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
I was just thinking, is there another option to have a replaceable/removable/reusable fuel filter that is easy to service? Preferably with the correct threaded ends? I want to add another filter before the fuel pump that has a large capacity so that if the foam does decide to crap out so that 1) It wont leave me screwed 2) It would take it a while before it becomes reclogged. Any ideas??? Jerry?
The Aeromotive 100 micron filter I use takes only 5 minutes to take apart and clean out using compressed air. I don't even need to remove the enitre filter from the truck. There is always little bits of foam trapped inside but never enough to clog it up.

Attachments

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Run the largest capacity 100 micron filter you can fit and use a screen type so you can clean it with brake spray in the middle of nowhere, mount It before the pump and mount both of them as close to the fuel cell as possible, at the same height as your fuel pickup tube inside of your cell then run a 40 micron after the pump in a spot u can get at in a hurry If you need to. If you want to get real trick mount 2 completly seperate pumps filters etc with the proper check valves [ball check not flappers] so you know have a backup fuel supply. and don't get cheep on pumps,filters or regulators. fuel delivery problems are very hard on a properly tuned EFI motor just ask BJ Baldwin he fried a 30000.00 motor because of a voltage problem but that's a diffrent story

http://www.flowezyfilters.com/index.html

http://www.weldonpumps.com/

Dezertpilot

Aeromotive makes some of the best products hands down. I really like their stuff and some of their products can be cheaper in price than some of the OEM type. I like what DSracing and JEFFRPM had to say by the way sounds like some good info!

Andrew here is a well priced in-line fuel filter from Aeromotive that is a 10 micron:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aeromotive-In-Line-Fuel-Filters/750079/10002/-1
There is a bunch of different ones on the page btw.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
I was prepping the race truck today and I pulled apart the Aeromotive filter for it's normal cleaning. When I took it apart I found the filter element completely packed with dirt and sand. At our last race, we were nerfed by another vehicle and it knocked the fuel filler hose loose from it's mount. The photos don't do justice to how much dirt was inside the filter, most of it fell onto the ground than stuck to the filter element.

I drove the last three laps of the race and never did the engine act as if it were starved for fuel. I re-called your post expressing concern that a replaceable filter might clog with foam and leave you stranded. These pics should alleviate any worries.;)

Tipracer

thanks for the update. I went with the Earl's prefilter filter and have not had a problem yet(we took it prerunning this weekend), next time I get to the truck I will take some photos. I think adding the filet w/ all the an fittings cost me about $70 buck or so..
BTW most inexpensive place I found was Industrial Liquidators...but be careful not all AN fittings are the same...

nismogizmo

I was prepping the race truck today and I pulled apart the Aeromotive filter for it's normal cleaning. When I took it apart I found the filter element completely packed with dirt and sand. At our last race, we were nerfed by another vehicle and it knocked the fuel filler hose loose from it's mount. The photos don't do justice to how much dirt was inside the filter, most of it fell onto the ground than stuck to the filter element.

I drove the last three laps of the race and never did the engine act as if it were starved for fuel. I re-called your post expressing concern that a replaceable filter might clog with foam and leave you stranded. These pics should alleviate any worries.;)

WOW!!!:eek:

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
thanks for the update. I went with the Earl's prefilter filter and have not had a problem yet(we took it prerunning this weekend), next time I get to the truck I will take some photos. I think adding the filet w/ all the an fittings cost me about $70 buck or so..
BTW most inexpensive place I found was Industrial Liquidators...but be careful not all AN fittings are the same...
The I.L. I go to carries all Earl's fittings, did you come across some knock-offs?

I said the same thing when I took it apart!!

curt

Not all filters are the same...The earls filters we used were too small in diameter and length and caused fuel starvation problems, the Aeromotive ones are much larger with a huge amount of surface area. It all depends on supplying flow, our Toyota has fuel pressures at 60psi so we would need way more flow than say a stock Ford or Chev system with much lower pressure requirements. I think we used the 100 micron / 10 micron combo after wasting money the other way, not only on filters but on testing costs, and sending the injectors back to RC twice to get them cleaned when they plugged up after only a few hours of testing...Yes the Aero stuff costs a good bit, but a poor fuel system will cause not only performance problems but can do major engine damage as well.

Be careful of the specs on the earls filters, I remember finding a major error on the flow rates on the Summit web site. I believe all the sintered bronze units flow the same, all the mesh ones flow more but can't filter small enough with a good flow. Double check specs on Earls site directly.

All the prefilter needs to do is to catch the particles the pump can't pass without damaging it, the post filter needs to catch the particles the injectors can't pass...

Call Aeromotive, their technical department is very helpful...Curt

chalfeoc

I have not been able to find a definitive answer- for a pre-pump filter, should I go with a 100 micron or 40 micron filter? This is for an EFI application. Aeromotive recommends a 100 micron filter on their website, but I have seen others who recommend a 40 micron filter. What does the collective wisdom on RDC think?
Just had some questions ?

Does a filter of 40 microns allows a particle of 40 microns or less to pass through easily ?

Does a filter of 100 microns allows a particle of 100 microns or less to pass through easily ?

Isn't a particle of 1 micron in size smaller than a particle of 100 microns ??

Are filters with less micron rating giving you more flow ?? Shouldn't they give you less flow ??

So the smaller number of microns on a filter rating the more it cleans and the less flow it has ?? So a filter of 10 microns would be cleaner but more restrictive than all of the above ?

I certainly don't know how filters are rated. THANKS for your Response

PDANK Racing

So the smaller number of microns on a filter rating the more it cleans and the less flow it has ?? So a filter of 10 microns would be cleaner but more restrictive than all of the above ?
yes that is correct