Pre-Run Rookie!!!

Bmello

Venturing down for the thousand...first time! Looking at pre-running a section from RM 390 to Valley T, and then to check 6 at RM 631 Saturday Nov. 14th. Could somebody familiar with this section tell me the type of terrain we will encounter. Is this a little much? Gas availability? We will be on 450's, 650 with tanks. Any info is much appreciated and good luck to everyone. Welcome back Andy and family. Can't wait for the epic class 22 race.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Rocks, sand, whoops, sand whoops, silt whoops, Did I mention whoops? Maybe some mud. And watch out for the rocks and the silt , also the whoops.

All in all another great Baja adventure.

Oh and watch out for the chupacabras.

Baja_Seve

Rocks, sand, whoops, sand whoops, silt whoops, Did I mention whoops? Maybe some mud. And watch out for the rocks and the silt , also the whoops.
Trey forgot whoopy sand and whoopy silt.

Backyard gas available at San Matias. Regular and diesel at VDT Pemex. Small, emergency quantities at Mike's Sky Rancho and Rancho El Coyote. Regular, premium, and diesel at San Vicente Pemex. Backyard gas at Erendira. Regular, premium, and diesel at Santo Tomas Pemex. Regular and diesel at Ojos Pemex.

Have a plan and come prepared. Don't be "that guy."

You can never have too much gas, water, or lights.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Backyard gas available at San Matias. Regular and diesel at VDT Pemex. Small, emergency quantities at Mike's Sky Rancho and Rancho El Coyote. Regular, premium, and diesel at San Vicente Pemex. Backyard gas at Erendira. Regular, premium, and diesel at Santo Tomas Pemex. Regular and diesel at Ojos Pemex.

Have a plan and come prepared. Don't be "that guy."

You can never have too much gas, water, or lights.
write down that info and take it with you ^^^

plan for the worst expect the best

trentk

I ran the section from borrego (390) to valley T a few months ago for the 500 and I will be pre running it again on Nov 7th. The first part is whooped out sand, then for the 500 the course ran right next to the highway, not sure if it will do that for the 1000. But that section has a few big washouts where the washes go under the highway, keep a lookout. Once you make the turn onto the road for mike's sky ranch it is all high speed semi-maintained dirt roads, haul ass, have fun and beware of oncoming civilian traffic. When you get closer to Valley T there are a few switchbacks with big dropoffs if you miss the turn so be careful. Between 490 and 500 there is a powerline road with a lot of rocks, no problem for you 2 wheelers though. :)

You can head into Valley T for gas from RM490 or 500.

have fun.

Bmello

Thank you for the insight...I definitely don't plan on being "that guy." We will have a chase truck. Although it looks like once we leave the vehicle at RM 420 he will be heading North on the 3 and we will somewhat be on our own so to speak until we can meet back up with him at Santo Tomas. Thank you Seve for the fuel info. We've done a handful of BITD races since '06, the most fun definitely being V to R, or Parker but there is just something much more exciting in putting this together. Thank you guys for any and all pointers/advice/knowledge. One more quick thing. Any suggestions for Sat phone service. I got a quote of $280 for two irdium phones, two weeks. Is this about the going rate. and/and/and/and/and......thanks!! :D

cosmo

Super Moderator
Cell phone coverage is getting better in Baja. We use ATT, I can get coverage "most" places. Since the phone is so small, it's easy to carry.

Bmello

I have AT&T...maybe I should skip sat phones and hope for the best and save a few dollars. I think the desert tanks on the bike will give us over a hundred miles, so fuel should be okay. I imagine there will be quite a bit of pre-run traffic as well. Really looking forward to it. thanks again

Vtr_Racing

I have AT&T...maybe I should skip sat phones and hope for the best and save a few dollars. I think the desert tanks on the bike will give us over a hundred miles, so fuel should be okay. I imagine there will be quite a bit of pre-run traffic as well. Really looking forward to it. thanks again
Make sure your cell is set up for international or you may get popped with a HUGE cell bill. Texting, I have found is the way to go. Or, maybe just buy or rent one of the International phones, those throw away when your done phones. (havent tried one) If you can buy/rent/borrow a Spot Tracker and have someone watch you that would be good.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Actually it is, plan for the worst and expect even worst. Then you might survive.
True but over the years of prerunning I always plan on enjoying baja:)
can't wait to go down there

trentk

My friends POS T-mobile phone works for crap in phoenix but works almost everywhere in baja. Texting is the way to go like someone else mentioned. My verizon phone is awesome in phoenix and works nearly no where in baja. :)

sstrunk

If you are going to get a sat phone get an iridum and if you put it in you truck get the truck antena because those phones only work if youhave the antena out. The globalstar sat phones suck and never seem to work. I got an ATT go phone and use it in baja. It gets out in most towns but if you are on a trail they useally do not have service. Have fun

troyharper

DA Meatball
Cell phone coverage is getting better in Baja. We use ATT, I can get coverage "most" places. Since the phone is so small, it's easy to carry.
But not so much out on the course.