• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pre runner amigo

Bhebron14

I recently bought a 1999 Isuzu amigo 4x4 (3.2l v6, 5 speed manual, Dana 44 rear, 4 linked) with a buddy and am gonna build my first true desert toy. I am just looking for advice from experienced builders for good routes on ifs long travel with a 4x4 and just good places to look for help on dimensions and simple cage designs etc. any advice from you seasoned desert rats would be highly appreciated. Also was thinking about cutting into the back to have hoops in the cab with shocks going through the floor for more travel.

Simply: don't do it.

If you spend $5 or $50 grand, at best you will produce a bucking bronco nobody will want to ride, even you.

Do a little research into Izusu Amigo off road racing efforts.

Can't find many?

Wonder why?

Get a Ranger or Toy, and far cheaper to buy built than any attempt to build.

You do want to go riding, right, and not spend all your nights and weekends wrenching?

Have fun with what you have.

scottm

You can make anything work if you have the shop, equipment, knowledge and offroad experience. For a very first build with no racing experience, I have to agree with OC, don't. Buy something running for your first time. And spend some time in the shop section, see how everyone is building various kinds of trucks.

jon coleman

go to pic your part and grab a bunch of bilsteins off 1500 chevys and throw a bunch at amigo racer w - limmiter straps, 4 point cage, Biggest bfg's that fit, then get a good kidney belt, then go to plaster city & scare yourself, Be carefull, the desert is beautiful, but its a dangerous place for the newbe

pgarfinkle

Calmini used to make some kits for them. Might be a good starting point to give them a call.

scottm

"Honey, I'm going to borrow your car this afternoon, see you later.."

jon coleman

pfffff , dana 44? , you be good to go.hey i know, how about an new spec amigo class??, it could be Real cheap....my first truck was a ' light utility vehicle' imported by Chevrolet, had a gangster1800cc Overhead cam groundpounder& it was a longbed..

Bhebron14

Definitley in thee I already bought it so I’m gonna run it place but I also think I’m gonna bite off a little less especially when it comes to suspension fabrication, the stock suspension isn’t all that bad so I might as well lighten it up and just know I’m not in a TT and will most likely be driving it like it’s a beam car

Bhebron14

This is a class 3 amigo I found so maybe some light suspension work nothing crazy and some motor work and call it a day. In all honesty I’ve driven in dirt a good amount but this could help me learn the flow of the desert while not leaving me stranded and make shifting parts every trip. Although that is a great way to learn in my opinion

Attachments

Bert is my name

Cut the fenders to clear the biggest tires possible. I'm thinking 32 to 33 inch range. Add as many white rocket shocks as you deem necessary. Remove all unnecessary weight. Build bumpers, cage, undercarriage protection and go beat the snot out of it. At that point the truck will tell you what it wants.

jon coleman

also stuff in those 4" rubber bumpstops wherever u can , also massage/ strengthen and Smooth out where tires Will hit inner fender wells, those 33" tires will act like bump stops , but they also stop spinning( control issue) when u bottom out, soooo, HANG ON🤪( these bump stops, they work pretty darn good
20191011_232935.jpg

Last edited:

Bert is my name

Limit straps to keep the front c.v. joints and ball joints happy would be a good idea too. Set them up about an inch short to account for stretch.

Bert is my name

also stuff in those 4" rubber bumpstops wherever u can , also massage/ strengthen and Smooth out where tires Will hit inner fender wells, those 33" tires will act like bump stops , but they also stop spinning( control issue) when u bottom out, soooo, HANG ON🤪( these bump stops, they work pretty darn goodView attachment 205455
The tire marks on the fenders and fire wall will show you where to apply the b.f.h.