Pre-runner style winch bumpers

maxyedor

RDC Crypto
I need to build a new bumper for my Rover, and I think tube is the way to go, for strength and weight reasons. My truck is a daily driver/trail rig/ desert rig so it has to look good, and have a winch. Right now I'm just looking for how people have run the fairlead and the overall look of winch bumpers, so if you have pictures, please post them.

Also anybody use Lexan for skid plates, I know it slides over rocks better than alluminum or steel, but how does it hold up when 5k lbs are smashing it into the rock?

Muddi44

RDC Crypto
I have thought of using lexan as a skidplate as I can get hold of S/H sheets, however we use it for guarding machines at work & it always cracks around the mountings if they are drilled through. These machines get little or no abuse so I do not think it would put up with the grief you describe.

Tim

Michael Pee

RDC Crypto
You could have a prerun bumper made with a reciever hitch in front and keep the winch on the hitch. That way you could use it front or back and store it inside you vehicle.

maxyedor

RDC Crypto
Muddi44, I have lexan bash guards on my mountain bike's chainrings and get tons of cracks but have never had it actually break appart, do the lexan peices on your shop equipment actaully break appart or do they just get hairline cracks?

Micheal, the winch fits perfectly between the frame rails so I'll be able to squeeze it in there and have about an 80* approach angle. I have considered keeping it in the truck but it would take up a lot of room and on trails like the Rubicon I'd need to use it so often it would be pointless to keep removing it and storing it, and with how much approach angle it would rob me of I can't see doing it like that. It's a good idea for most chase trucks, but don't think it would work for me.

Muddi44

RDC Crypto
Maxyedor
When we notice a crack forming we drill the end to stop the stress, this is a temporary measure.The guards are often U/S after a couple of years.
I have heard that Nylon or Polyethelene sheet works, regarding the weight to strength ratio, I am not sure how it compares to Ali sheet.
Years ago the Skoda rally team made their sump guards from marine ply sandwiched & bonded to thin steel sheets for abrasion resistance. In tests it was nearly as strong weight for weight as Kevlar composite & cost next to nothing.
I may try the plastic option on my racer but TBH I am more inclined with the plywood as I am aiming for very light weight (with only 110hp it needs all the help it can get!)

Lance T

RDC Crypto
I like these...

TLT Taco Hansen winch bumper:
paintjob-25.jpg

CoverImage_lrg.jpg

paintjob-24.jpg

Chad McNeil Class 7:
0404_18z+Ford_Ranger+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg