• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pre-Runner Trucks—There Should Be a Rule

Blackmutt

I see trucks advertised on all the time on Craigslist and RDC described as Pre-Runners. Many just have a cold air intake, bolt-on bumper & skid plate, fiberglass fenders, a bolt-on front suspension kit, Deavers and Kings. To me that’s not a pre-runner. There should be a rule you can only call your truck a pre-runner if you’ve actually completed a lap at Barstow, Lucerne, Primm, etc. If you don’t use your truck to pre-run, don’t call it a Pre-Runner!

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
We once preran the Mint in a Ford Edge since our driver was under the impression that it had to be street legal vehicles and that is what he was able to rent.

Can I call that a prerunner since I preran Mint in a front wheel drive Ford Edge??

Blackmutt

We once preran the Mint in a Ford Edge since our driver was under the impression that it had to be street legal vehicles and that is what he was able to rent.

Can I call that a prerunner since I preran Mint in a front wheel drive Ford Edge??
If you completed a lap then I say YES! Did you say it was a rental?

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
If you completed a lap then I say YES! Did you say it was a rental?
It was a rental...we got stuck about 200 ft in and struggled from there on. Didn't make it through the quarry LOL

Samco Fab

When we were with factory Hummer, we pre ran all the Baja races with a bunch of stock Hummer H2 and H3'swith bolt on Fox shocks. My buddy rolled his bone stock 69 Ford F250 pre running the Vegas to Reno about 9 years ago. Gordon and Ragland used to pre run in their actual Trophy Trucks back in the 90's, and then swap all the arms and drive train right before the race.

Pre running is an activity that can be done in a stock vehicle, or a Stewarts Raceworks uber pre runner. Leave your white fender pre runner buddies alone.

mrlentle

So this doesn't count? (Toyota New Zealands base model "prerunner"):confused:
2WD Double Cab Specifications
Double Cab PreRunner SR Ute Diesel

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Prerunning = The process of reaching los banos after a visit to Taco Bell.

J Prich

Hard hitting stuff right there. I further propose that no one should be allowed to call their Trophy Truck a Trophy truck unless they've actually won a trophy with it. Same goes for Trick trucks. Until I see it do a trick, its just a truck in my book. There should be a rule.

nimrod

KOOK!
Try Parker prerun in January in the freezing cold rain. Anything with windows and a heater becomes a pre-runner. To be fair most guys used F-350's which are more tractor than prerunner but they do rank ahead of a Ford Edge on the prerunner chart. :)
Not everyone can afford a Stewarts truck or even a Raptor.

Josh 8

You know what J Prich your 100% right. All I gotta do is win and race with my 1450 prerunner truck and when some 12 year old kids walk up and says that he likes my trophy truck I will simply thank him instead of pointing out that is actually a class 8 and not a trophy truck.

This makes it so much simpler.

J Prich

You know what J Prich your 100% right. All I gotta do is win and race with my 1450 prerunner truck and when some 12 year old kids walk up and says that he likes my trophy truck I will simply thank him instead of pointing out that is actually a class 8 and not a trophy truck.

This makes it so much simpler.
Dont even have to win...3rd will still get you a trophy.