Pre-runners on race course during race??

Chase 2

So what's up with all of the teams who are running pre-runners on the race course following behind their entry?? I was out at Llano Colorado and watched a shiet load of pre-runners come through the cross over from Trinidad. Please discuss.

Zambo

Probably lack of chase assets forcing them to support both sides of the mountain.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
We always did this just in case one of the prerunners needed to be sacrificed for parts:cool:

Dezertpilot

I was out at Llano Colorado
Were you with Householders crew? Me and a two team mates walked over to the chase truck and was chatting with two of the crew members.

Fourstroker

Were you with Householders crew? Me and a two team mates walked over to the chase truck and was chatting with two of the crew members.
Pretty sure Chase 2 was with Householder. He usually is

Huntington Beach

If your prerunner is a parts mule then how the hell else would you get all your parts from Valle T to the pacific side without running the course? I guess you could drive around but why would you?

partybarge_pilot

For the most part chase trucks aren't the problem, the spectators are. I'm pretty sure LR wasn't holding anybody up. We were sitting at the Acambero turn off watching the cars go up the hill. There was a Scheißekopf in a truck out there that would hop out on the course every time a race car would come along forcing them to work their way around him. When they got past he would wait for the next vehicle to jump out and do the same thing. We watched him do this to 5 or 6 vehicles until he got over the hill and out of site.

nimrod

KOOK!
Putting a prerunner on the course to carry parts is plain selfish. No other way around it. Your putting your guy and your race ahead of everyone that gets held up by your prerunner with no consideration for the other racers investment in the race what-so-ever.

If you can't come up with 1 more chase truck to follow down the pacific then you should be up in Cali doing the lap race thing until you're team is ready for Baja.

The cool thing about baja is that if your guy has a problem it's okay to go in and help. That does not make it okay to throw a chase vehicle out there just in case.....

Of course that's the easiest way to do it but that don't make it right and your still being incredibly self centered by ruining other peoples race just to make it easier on yourself......

If that's really how you wanna roll then you need to enter the car in sportsman and deal with waiting for it to get there!

Baja Karma is not a pleasant thing......

Fourstroker

Putting a prerunner on the course to carry parts is plain selfish. No other way around it. Your putting your guy and your race ahead of everyone that gets held up by your prerunner with no consideration for the other guys investment in the race what-so-ever.

If you can't come up with 1 more chase truck to follow down the pacific then you should be up in Cali doing the lap race thing until you're team is ready for Baja.

The cool thing about baja is that if your guy has a problem it's okay to go in and help. That does not make it okay to throw a chase vehicle out there just in case.....

Of course that's the easiest way to do it but that don't make it right and your still being incredibly self centered by ruining other peoples race just to make it easier on yourself......

If that's really how you wanna roll then you need to enter the car in sportsman and deal with waiting for it to get there!
Agree x10. Especially when you are running with the front runners in Class 1 and TT

Huntington Beach

For this race and only this race I have a little different perception:

We were set up at the entrance to Mike's Sky Ranch and I saw 2 or 3 4seat Class 1 level prerunners tailing the real race cars. I mean they were both running race speed and right together. Is this really a burden to the other guys out there? Yeah I see your point about it being another car to pass but I would expect the chaser to have enough sense to get out of the way of a race vehicle (these are the very capable buggys we are talking about, not a wannabee long trailer ranger). Now if they are acting like a blocker in nascar then that is total BS and may they get the nerfing they deserve. After all this is Baja and any advantage you can get within the rules is allowed, right?

The chase/ support trucks running on the course ( I didn't see any leave Valle T headed west but I wasn't there all day) is a different story and has allways been a problem in Baja. Those guys deserve your blasting Nimrod!!!!

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

So your truck breaks at RM290, would you rather send at truck in from the pits at 295 going backwards or from VT going with the race traffic?

The Vineyard road has very limited access. Should a race vehicle break down in there it can take a very long time to get to it. Sending a fast pre-runner with a good driver in with the flow of the race isn't that bad. Sending in a stock vehicle with a trailer that won't get out of the way is a major Richard cranium move. Cough cough Ledzema.........

BGRANT

It shouldn't be allowed period. Even if the car and driver are capable, it creates unecessary dust for somebody racing for position. Ya dust is part of racing but it is not fair for you to kick up twice as much just because you can afford to have a high dollar pre runner follow you. Is there a rule saying you can do this only if your pre runner has 26" of travel and 500 HP? I think not! It opens the door for any swingin dick to go out there and do this in whatever vehicle thay choose and that is just plain un safe and selfish. I have been in races when we have come up behind a chase or spectator vehicle and it is very frustrating and it scares the hell out of you when you come up on a front grill rather than a rear bumper.
A few hundred yards here or there using extreme caution and very slow speed is accepytable if it is totaly necessary but not for 30-40 mile sections at atime.

Last edited:

Danny Ebberts

I had one of Baldwin's prerunner (Josh) jump in front of me at the Baja 250. It was right after the meadows and I was catching one of the LVDC cars. They seemed like every time I would get close they would push harder. They dove out of the way as I went to hit them. If you want a chase vehicle to be behind your vehicle then you should enter them in the race. If your car breaks get on course and pull off at first sign of anyone coming.

Jerry Zaiden

When we raced the 40th Baja 1000 we were gaining on people in our class. We got stuck behind a 4 seater buggy with a huge wide open sticker on the side of it. This guy would pass us then sit in front of us just at the same speed. We could not catch him because of the dust. It was at night and made it very hard to race at the speed we could have. Later we found out he was with wide open supporting there celebrity racers. Fair? NO! because of the way he acted. If he stayed behind us and ran our pace without interrupting our race then I would not care.

I think SCORE needs to have OFFICIAL 4x4 trucks to go in and help if need be, kind of like BITD and SNORE does.... Get people un stuck, run parts, etc.... This way it is a official vehicle with flashing lights that everyone can see with a driver who knows there $#&T....

Sheaco

I had one of Baldwin's prerunner (Josh) jump in front of me at the Baja 250. It was right after the meadows and I was catching one of the LVDC cars. They seemed like every time I would get close they would push harder. They dove out of the way as I went to hit them. If you want a chase vehicle to be behind your vehicle then you should enter them in the race. If your car breaks get on course and pull off at first sign of anyone coming.
HaHa, same Person and senario but different out come. he wasn't to happy about his nice shinny pre runner being bashed.

bajabird

Real rules should be set for all "racers" to follow.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Do those that have a problem with this have the same issue when teams enter a prerunner in the race at US races?
You pose an interesting question......

I do have more issue with it from the safety side at least. When you enter a pre-runner in the states, it is subject to the same tech standards for that class, and the drivers, co's are wearing the same safety gear required for racing and bound by the same rules for the sanctioning body. If something happens, they are in all essence as safe/at risk as any other team on a level playing field. However in Baja, as chase vehicles, they have no rules or governing body. They can be wearing shorts and t-shirts, no helmets or open face, and on occassion, have members of their team that have consumed liquid courage prior to jumping on a course and "responding" to assist their team. And those that do it to purposely add dust to hold back a competitor....Shame on you for robbing yourself and team of the feeling of truly beating Baja.