pre running in mexico

Zac Reish

Reaction
I will be pre running in mexico with a group of friends for my first time in mid october. I will be taking my baja bug. which is a mid travel beam car with a low compression 1835cc engine that i run on 91 octane. i have an 091 with a diff and all weddle gears. What sort of spares would be highly recommended to take. I know driving plays a major part, however I am looking for some of the standard things people take on these types of trips for safety and spares.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Front: Woods combo spindle, stock vw hub and brakes, foddrill arms, lower arms double sheared (thanks to Steve Grifith of Griffith Welding in San Jacinto).

Rear: I believe they are Karteks econo micro stub kit, w disk brakes and 930's.

Oh and since I am thinking about it where is the best place in riverside to get parts for wiring. i mainly need to replace the wire coming from my battery to the ignition switch, then back to the starter. I guess my starter cable? According to a few people 10 guage wire doesn't cut it.

Also what are the best tricks to water proofing a vw engine and where to get the things to accomplish this.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
OK, looks like your wheels shouldn't fall off. Might take an extra front drum and bearings.

10 guage wire? You should have a 2 gauge minimum cable from the battery to the starter. A 10 gauge from the battery to the ignition switch is fine. From the switch to the starter can be 14 gauge. Also have a nice 2 gauge ground strap from the transmission to the pan and one from the pan to the battery.

3G RACING

Reaction
What you bring, you wont need.

What you don't bring, you will...
You said it best!
That's the fun thing about prerunning, you never know what your gonna need!

randy s

Reaction
a sat phone so you can call someone to bring down what you forgot.

Zac Reish

Reaction
I'll be going with a bunch of firemen, so maybe one of them will have one, but I'm sure as heck not ging to have one. Thanks for the posts so far. Any good places for electrical in the IE?

zetapsi827

Reaction
You might want to call ahead to the mexican aduana if you can first. I hear the president replaced the entire personell in the north and south borders with new people. Apparently they are being giant d-bags. No more than one spare per car, didn't even let me take 2 gal of fuel over for my dirt bike last week.

heck they even made me go to second inspection after getting a green light. things have changed, get informed. There's even US border patrol checking before you go out. part of the new drug and arms enforcement techniques.