Predator carb

HardCharger81

The guys and I were working on the truck the other day, and work turned into a BS bench racing session. I don't rememeber how it came up, but one of my buddies was talking about a Predator carb. I've only ever seen one in books and pictures, never known anyone to use one. If I remember right it kinda looked like a huge motorcycle carb.

Anyway, my buddy was saying that it was weird that they never really took off, because in his opinion, they worked good.

partybarge_pilot

They were basically like motorcycle CV carbs only larger. They did not like bouncing around as it caused the metering plate to move a lot screwing up the mixture.

IGOBAJA2

The guys and I were working on the truck the other day, and work turned into a BS bench racing session. I don't rememeber how it came up, but one of my buddies was talking about a Predator carb. I've only ever seen one in books and pictures, never known anyone to use one. If I remember right it kinda looked like a huge motorcycle carb.

Anyway, my buddy was saying that it was weird that they never really took off, because in his opinion, they worked good.
The Predator was developed in Tulare Ca. I used one on a desert race jeep and it worked great except for the very very quick throttle response. Makes it tough to drive off road. Made plenty of power on a 480 hp 401 amc motor. I built a short course jeep with 455ci strocker amc motor. I used 2 of them on a tunnel ram for racing Pikes Peaks. They work great, all the throttle response of fuel injection. I Still have one with all the upgrades. They are app. 930 cfm. I here someone still sells them for alchohol applications. The company is no longer, a bunch off internal issues.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
they make excellent wheel chalks or melted down they are good for ashtray castings.
Other than that THEIR IS A REASON THEY ARE LONG GONE!! That was the worst carb in the history of organized leaks "AKA CARB'S"

HardCharger81

they make excellent wheel chalks or melted down they are good for ashtray castings.
Other than that THEIR IS A REASON THEY ARE LONG GONE!! That was the worst carb in the history of organized leaks "AKA CARB'S"
Thats a sweet quote.

My friends and I all have background in racing other things, IE Drag Cars, Sprints and Midgets, ETC. So the bench racing runs the gamut sometimes. I was really just kinda curious more than anything.