Prerunner: Dodge Diesel vs. Ford Raptor

Prairiexr

Reaction
I currently own a 2005 Dodge diesel 4x4, 50 000 miles, 4 door, with a 6spd manual that I plan on converting to a Prerunner. The plan was to throw a good portion of www.thecarlisuspension.com catalog at it. Dominator 3.0 kit, torsion bar, ball joints, track bar, and perhaps even the hydro bump stops.
However, the new Ford Raptor has really caught my eye. I've never been a Ford guy, and I think I'd miss the range and power of the diesel, but the Ford still appeals. The locking rear differential, sorted electronics, and after market ready wiring all make sense.
I believe I could install the Carli goodies on my Dodge for what the price difference between my truck and the new Ford would be.
For those in the know..... which one do you believe will make a better Prerunner/daily driver and why?

JWK Motorsports

Reaction
my uncles just came in. he got it cause of the warranty. i mean cmon, a warranty on an offroad vehicle?!?! you cant go wrong with that!!!! my pick is easily the raptor... or a helicopter.

Prairiexr

Reaction
I'd hate to sell anything to you guys........... you seriously expect to get warranty on something you Prerun with? I guess I am just too honest.

Reaction
Ford...resale value then.

Prairiexr

Reaction
OK, we now have warranty and resale out of the way......... does anyone care to delve into the actual technical aspect. Diesel vs. Gas, auto vs. manual, King 3.0's vs. Fox 2.5's, hydro bump stops vs. jounce bumpers, solid front axle vs. A-arms, suspension travel, vehicle weight...... so on and so forth. Come on guys feed my appetite for technical savvy.

tcm glx

Reaction
Depends... if you really plan to pre run, the Ford. Overall, the Dodge will probably serve more pueporses... better tow vehicle, etc etc.

I want a Raptor really bad, that being said.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
Have you looked at the KORE stuff for Dodge yet? Im been impressed whenever the team blows by me when prerunning.
they make a great steering box relocation kit from what i hear....

:D

RBFJeep

Reaction
Watch the Born in Baja that was shown on Speed Channel (I think) and I would say Ford Raptor for sure. Wish I could afford one.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Alex has the best idea yet.

Reaction
The Raptor is going to cost you $45K - not bad for a factory built truck. I drove around in one a Primm last weekend, nice truck - not a Prerunner!

Your Dodge, I assume is paid for. You could "throw" a lot at it with the above $45K. I have ridden in a few trucks just like yours, but with all the KORE bells and whistles, and they work very well - still they are not Prerunners, but excelent Chase/Support/Prerun trucks.

I'd do the Dodge.

mebuildit

Reaction
Buy the Ford, and use the Dodge as a tow vehicle since that is what a diesel is for.

Ford's are tough, and the Raptor is designed for a specific use.

You can't go wrong with the Raptor.

stokessdca

Reaction
4wd over 2wd ? if the ford is only 2wd i would think that you would want
the 4wd dodge. i saw 2 ford raptors at primm last week and they both
looked sweet. i would love to have the one with the bigger motor.

sloride

Reaction
I won't weigh in on which one is better suited for what but if you do decide to do the Dodge I would give Don Thuren a call http://thurenfabrication.com/home.html or Sage Carli http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/. You can't go wrong with either one of these guys. Great product and customer service is second to none! PM me if you want more info on either as I run both of thier stuff on my personal truck and I'll give you all the info you need.

johnnyweb

Reaction
Leave the Dodge alone and use it as a towing/chase vehicle, what it is perfect for. Buy a Raptor or a nice prerunner from the classifieds and go prerun! The Dodge is Straight 6 diesel with a 6spd does not sound like a fun prerunner to drive. The weight, torque/hp is going to be hard on the drivetrain parts.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Sorry but Big ol full size trucks are NOT prerunners......Use it for 4 wheeling in the woods,chasing and towing your prerunner.

If your serious about pre-running you need a purpose built prerunner. Buy something used on RDC that's built with a good foundation and then add to it and build it up as you go.

Personally, since I can't afford a Geiser or Stewart's bling bling trophy truck prerunner, for my money, nothing beats a buggy!

PS. Have you seen this months Masterpiece in Metal? The Project Plug and Play in Dirt Sports this month is GORGEOUS!!!!