Prerunner Insurance US/Mexico

ACME

Reaction
We are looking at a moderately built street legal Bronco that has a salvage title, and are wondering how those with similar vehicles are insuring them for full coverage in both the US and for use in Baja?

I was told by both my CA and AZ agents (house & vehicles in both so can regi either place) that getting full coverage is not doable with a salvage and the upgraded suspension etc not covered unless we have full receipts and then it's depreciated (and my AZ person who we have used for 20+ years also said good luck with any claim on those parts). I went to our go-to Mexico insurance agent we use and they can only insure up to 50% of NADA value of the vehicle and the additional parts not really coverable unless we get a waiver but the salvage title screws it all up.

I also asked if it had a clear title and it was basically the same as it's over 10 years old. Ironically my Jeep TJ is older and I got full coverage that includes the upgrades and can give whatever value I want with that same Mexico carrier and they don't question it? Must be a Jeep thing...

Any info on insuring a per y2k built street legal prerunner and the upgrades for both salvage and clear titles is appreciated on here or PM me, as we aren't into risking it either here or down there and may have to change our thoughts.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I was also curious how people insure their prerunner buggies? I see the prerunners on the streets in mexico, how are they insured?

9rocky

Reaction
Instant Mex lets you declare a value and bases your rate on your declared value.

Honda48X

Reaction
I think you may be out of luck on insurance down in Baja other then getting a drivers license coverage. But remember that only covers liability for any vehicle you are driving. That's how most drive the streets of San Felipe. I use vagabundos. It is the cheapest I can find with great coverage.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
I think you may be out of luck on insurance down in Baja other then getting a drivers license coverage. But remember that only covers liability for any vehicle you are driving. That's how most drive the streets of San Felipe. I use vagabundos. It is the cheapest I can find with great coverage.
link to vagabundos..

BHollander

Reaction
I have a high dollar Bronco that I had to jump through hoops with getting appraised by 2 reputable builders as well as provide receipts. It is insured for $80k while it is on the ground which was the max and $130k while it is on the trailer I believe I was able to go up to $165k. I use Baja bound insurance. I have a clean title but they were not very concerned whether the title was clean or not more so how custom was it and what kind of replacement value it had. One thing to remember with any insurance company they are not in the business of giving away money so do everything in your power to have documentation and values of everything on your vehicle as well as pictures of parts in place on the vehicle not just a picture of parts. I hope this helps some.

ACME

Reaction
Keep it coming guys! This is really helping on our purchase decision!

For those interested here's what I've learned to date, others tune out so I don't bore you:

-AAA in CA (our CA carrier) will only will value a salvage titled vehicle to 50% of the value of the vehicle (KBB she mentioned) and on the "aftermarket stuff" I would needed full receipts on every item and they requested serial numbers... She also made it sound like it's a struggle.

-Progressive AZ (we use them on our AZ regi stuff). Per my convo with an agent off their toll free number: They will full cover a vehicle if it has been proven to be correctly repaired and when asked there was no 50% of value. They will insure aftermarket goodies with receipts or proof and the guy who went to a claims supervisor twice during the convo to get a true understanding: Suggested pictures and having documentation reviewed as true and notarized in the insured state as that would help with any future claims adjuster calling BS.

Note: My local agent in AZ that has our cars, SxS and did our 4 seat race/prerunner and other junk with progressive said Progressive will not give full coverage on a salvage title and no one in AZ would?

Mexico Insurance

-AAA only covers to 50 miles deep in Mexico (to the guy who PM'd that if you have AAA they will cover you in Baja: They will not, as per the agent they are not really recognized below the border and recommend you get a full Mexican policy.

-Our go to Mexico carrier told us as mentioned, you cannot get full coverage. Calling back the boss shortly as the info from Intant Mex below makes me ask why?

- Guys I used in AZ a number of times for Mexico Insurance said no way on a salvage...

-Instant Mex said they can give full coverage on a salvage, but she also said the claim with the adjuster may get tricky. They can also do declared value, but you need heavy documentation and nothing seemed to be a problem with any of their carriers on the Salvage or Aftermarket goodies? Which is odd as the others said it was an issue with HDI and Seguros etc and they all use the same carriers?

Next stop is finding out what MVD (AZ DMV) considers correctly repaired on the salvage deal and a few more calls directly to HDI and Seguros.

Any real world experience on a Salvage Title in the US & Baja is helpful!. We don't want to have a vehicle we buy for $XX,XXX.00 only be coverable for $x,xxx... Tks!!!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Maybe look into one of the specialty coverage companies that covers race cars and such like Haggerty or something like that for a one off policy on the vehicle.

We have Liberty Mutual and our agent said they will cover anything we do to the vehicle for performance stuff but have to document it and pay for the additional coverage on specialty items like wheels/tires/suspension and so on. I have had claims and they covered stuff I had upgraded with receipts and such...

ACME

Reaction
An update for those that care:

-HDI facts from HDI directly: Regardless of value etc they will only do 50% of NADA or KBB value on a salvaged. They can do additional coverage on the value of the parts but you need documentation and they depreciate those updates annually based on the documentation you provide on the parts and will not consider any labor into that figure so fab work you are screwed on.

-ACE Facts directly & indirectly gleaned: They can insure a salvage title, but will only pay 50% of the value. NOPE! on the goodies Period.

Further convo with my go-to Baja insurance agent states they can do salvage via HDI, (person was confused) but only up to 50% value. They said HDI can do additional coverage however it's all pending approval and it was suggested an annual appraisal from a certified vehicle appraiser would be a big help on the value but regardless it will be depreciated based on date of appraisal and dates on the receipts provided and the "Salvage" throws a curve as it cuts some values down and you need to show the line of where the NADA or KBB value is and the real value...

A few other facts I uncovered in this process:

-There are 2 types of "Salvage Titles" in CA and that impacts registering it at least in AZ. "Salvage" not so easy and limited in what you can insure etc... "SalvageD" with a D is acceptable in AZ as it sits and means the vehicle was repaired correctly and will meet their standards. They can then issue their "restored" title and it's easily insurable per the AZ MVD (DMV).

-Your buddy with a fab shop is not considered a Certified Auto Appraiser even if he stayed at a Holiday Inn and that's all they will recognize (an off road appraiser seems hard to find but I haven't really tried yet...)

-Calling HDI and ACE for info is not like dealing with a US carrier and even speaking Spanish didn't help... We were asked 3 times if we wanted to "buy insurance now" and it took 4 people to get an answer to our question at one and we went through 2 supervisors in the process. The other said, "Yes Salvage OK" & "No additional coverage for Baja racing type car parts" and hung up. Further info on ACE was gleaned by agents...

-Very few agents seem to have a clue on the whole salvage title deal and even fewer Mexican brokers seem to have a strong understanding of our vehicles, sport and the coverage we need. Taking my Superduty vs my Jeep and the "full coverage" I normally buy, now has me wondering about what's covered on my Jeep...

Anyone who saved time and found this info a value, owes me a Vodka or 2...

motoman29

Reaction
It is VERY VERY easy to clear a salvage. Especially in AZ.

do a little homework and you will see just how easy it is.

part of your problem solved.

1wayne

Reaction
I insured my prerunner buggy for 30,000.00 through Baja Bound for the Baja 4000. With no problems. Had to send pictures and proof of value. Cost me 228.00 for ten days. Full coverage. You are not covered on non designated roads.
Dyno 093.jpg

johndjmix

Reaction
1wayne, is that a street licensed buggy? Does anyone insure their race vehicle for when it's on the trailer on sitting at the hotel in Mexico?

I've been coming up blank on a search for that.

--John

I insured my prerunner buggy for 30,000.00 through Baja Bound for the Baja 4000. With no problems. Had to send pictures and proof of value. Cost me 228.00 for ten days. Full coverage. You are not covered on non designated roads.View attachment 178535

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
its 314 for my stay for the 250. to cover my trailer, atv, utv, and truck..

humm ill look into it.

MasTacos

Reaction
Call Geoff at Bajabound, he'll give you all the info.

My philosophy is that it's not just the insurance but what happens after an event for which you needed insurance. The simple "get it cheap" is great for lightbars and haircuts but not so much when you need a lawyer to explain to the local gendarmerie why you weren't at fault.

9rocky

Reaction
Call Geoff at Bajabound, he'll give you all the info.

My philosophy is that it's not just the insurance but what happens after an event for which you needed insurance. The simple "get it cheap" is great for lightbars and haircuts but not so much when you need a lawyer to explain to the local gendarmerie why you weren't at fault.

The value in insurance is not being able to get a policy or what it costs, but how well it works when you need to make a claim.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
An update for those that care:

-HDI facts from HDI directly: Regardless of value etc they will only do 50% of NADA or KBB value on a salvaged. They can do additional coverage on the value of the parts but you need documentation and they depreciate those updates annually based on the documentation you provide on the parts and will not consider any labor into that figure so fab work you are screwed on.

-ACE Facts directly & indirectly gleaned: They can insure a salvage title, but will only pay 50% of the value. NOPE! on the goodies Period.

Further convo with my go-to Baja insurance agent states they can do salvage via HDI, (person was confused) but only up to 50% value. They said HDI can do additional coverage however it's all pending approval and it was suggested an annual appraisal from a certified vehicle appraiser would be a big help on the value but regardless it will be depreciated based on date of appraisal and dates on the receipts provided and the "Salvage" throws a curve as it cuts some values down and you need to show the line of where the NADA or KBB value is and the real value...

A few other facts I uncovered in this process:

-There are 2 types of "Salvage Titles" in CA and that impacts registering it at least in AZ. "Salvage" not so easy and limited in what you can insure etc... "SalvageD" with a D is acceptable in AZ as it sits and means the vehicle was repaired correctly and will meet their standards. They can then issue their "restored" title and it's easily insurable per the AZ MVD (DMV).

-Your buddy with a fab shop is not considered a Certified Auto Appraiser even if he stayed at a Holiday Inn and that's all they will recognize (an off road appraiser seems hard to find but I haven't really tried yet...)

-Calling HDI and ACE for info is not like dealing with a US carrier and even speaking Spanish didn't help... We were asked 3 times if we wanted to "buy insurance now" and it took 4 people to get an answer to our question at one and we went through 2 supervisors in the process. The other said, "Yes Salvage OK" & "No additional coverage for Baja racing type car parts" and hung up. Further info on ACE was gleaned by agents...

-Very few agents seem to have a clue on the whole salvage title deal and even fewer Mexican brokers seem to have a strong understanding of our vehicles, sport and the coverage we need. Taking my Superduty vs my Jeep and the "full coverage" I normally buy, now has me wondering about what's covered on my Jeep...

Anyone who saved time and found this info a value, owes me a Vodka or 2...
so from BB get the ACE or HDI one?

ACME

Reaction
What I learned (no guarantees and it's worth what your paying):

ACE can do a salvage title vehicle but only pays 50% of KBB value and will not do additional declared value.

HDI can do a salvage title vehicle for 50% of KBB value as well and they can do an additional override for declared value but it's pending approval and you must provide documentation.

I was told that the additional value only covers parts not labor and they want receipts and it will be depreciated based on date of receipts etc... No one seemed to be able to state that the 50% on a salvage title wouldn't affect the "declared value". Example if it's a $5k KBB valued vehicle w/o mods & valued at $20K with mods. Will they max pay $2500 for the vehicle and $15K for the mods or 50% of the $20K??? They answered it's not a problem but seemed to hedge and stated it was the adjusters decision...

It was suggested that getting a "certified vehicle appraiser" to corroborate the value would be helpful however. I have not yet found a "Certified Vehicle Appraiser" that does specialty off road vehicles. I was told of a few shops that have appraised vehicles values but per the insurance company if it's not a recognized "certified vehicle appraiser" it may not be recognized and when I asked the shops said they can appraise them but were not certified...

Opinion: It's like any other claim process. Load your guns and be prepared and you'll have to fight tooth and nail and likely won't get 85% what you want should anything happen...

Interesting note w/o saying names: An insurance agent right at the San Ysidro crossing we all have used was very: "No problem, yes, we can do that, do it all the time, yes, no problem, yes declared value, sure it's easy"... Another mentioned in this thread was very dot your i's and cross the T's and it's doable but you need documentation etc...

One agent said HDI only can do a declared value type policy and the other said we can do it with any of our carries and as noted above, direct calls to the insurance companies said otherwise...

Answer: I will use HDI based on what I learned

1wayne

Reaction
1wayne, is that a street licensed buggy? Does anyone insure their race vehicle for when it's on the trailer on sitting at the hotel in Mexico?

I've been coming up blank on a search for that.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com
Yes. California plated.

9rocky

Reaction
The value in insurance is not being able to get a policy or what it costs, but how well it works when you need to make a claim.

Hating to see my own words starting to ring true, but closing in on 2 months since our team had an accident after the 500. First settlement offer on the truck involved was a joke, and was told pre runner and trailer info would be last week, and nothing. Called yesterday to Instant Mex, and no one was in. Have not received a call back. Starting to wonder...