Prerunner Problem now Mini-truck Kids...

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Website
www.halldesigns.com
In the last 2-years or so the amount of people going to Octillo wells has grown greatly.I personally have only been 6-7 times total, but I do go to glamis 6-7 times a year and drive by every time. In these last few years the amount of trucks I've seen has at least tripled. These people dont notice a few more bikes or buggies but it's very easy to notice more trucks so they asume all the new problems come from these people.I'm sure there are just as many new people attending with quads,bikes and buggies but they all blend together, trucks are different.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have to chime in here. Let me introduce myself for those who don’t know me, my name is Kirk and I have been around offroading for about 3 years now. I’m 19 and I own a ranger with 'plastic fenders'. I have had my truck for 2 years and have been offroading in primm, henderson, pahrump, apex(old mint course), and barstow, all of which are offroad course, not offroad areas like glamis or ocotillo. I have never been to ocotillo or glamis, and I probably never will after watching videos and see the types that go out there. I think a lot of the problems are at the offroad ‘destinations’ rather than racecourses. There are a few spots around Vegas where the idiots with fenders and bigger tires jump and throw up dust and get the cops called, and that’s where the problem is. I have never been stopped by a ranger while out in Primm. I have been stopped by the ranch owner there, but it was because his truck broke down and he needed help. He told me stories of how the Herbsts have rented the land to film and killed some cattle, and how shooters destroy his water tanks, but nothing about ‘prerunners’. I respect the desert, I have done course cleanups for SNORE, chased for the Black Market team in MDR and have done media with SCORE and BITD. Many people classify me in with the 'mini truck' crowd because of my truck, and its something I have learned to accept. All I do is try to show them that I'm not like that. I don’t vandalize, I don’t drink, and I’m not an idiot. But I can see where the people who see kids with trucks like mine think we are punks. Last night I was driving on the freeway and this ranger with bigger tires and fenders cruises up to me and stares at me, I wave to him, I wave to all the guys with 'trucks' although he didn’t have much. He didn’t wave back and cut me off and took off. He was around my age. I just said whatever and kept going at my normal pace, then he slows down gets over and tries to race me again, he takes off and goes through traffic like an idiot. This has happened to me 4 times with different trucks, all of which only have fenders and bigger tires, all the guys I see here with 'built' trucks wave at me and are not driving like idiots. Now if you see this from so many people, wouldn’t you start to think a lot of them are like that? Humans judge, no matter how hard we try not to, we do, naturally. The only thing we can do is accept that and try to change their views by showing them that you’re not like them, even though you own a truck like them. I’m not trying to say some of you are immature, but look at it from both sides. Here is a good example, everyone knows those Hondas that are lowered and have those annoying exhausts and have no hubcaps? I think those guys are idiots, because all the ones I see are morons and drive like it. I met a guy who had a pretty nice one, more of a show car, and he was really nice, and drove the speed limit and didn’t go to the illegal street races. Now I tolerate that crowd more, but still think a lot of them are idiots. I don’t think this is something to get worked up about, although it is published in a widely read paper for offroaders. I think if we aren’t causing any problems, we have nothing to worry about, so what if a ranger stops you, you aren’t doing anything wrong, so what’s to worry?

drtdevil93

Reaction
so what happens when i (being a responsible and respectful person) go to ocotillo for the first time, and the rangers and locals are treating me different just because i have a prerunner truck? thats not a problem?
im santa ana, where i work, there is a lot of crime. the population is also highly mexican. by the same thinking, the police should just go around looking for mexicans to stop and question, and businesses should always keep a close eye on any mexican, because they might steal something, or put grafitti on a wall.

i do understand that there are a lot of problems coming from the "plastic fender kids", however that doesnt entitle anyone to treat a person different because of what they drive. that is insane. i can say personally, if i do end up in that area sometime, i will probably stop at that particular store and let them know that i am an exception to their stereotype, but since they already judged me by something so trivial and disconnected with what a person is, i will not make purchases from their store under any circumstances.

erik

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
paint your fenders and keep your bill curved and on forward and you should be fine.

martininsocal

Reaction
While the writer of the article makes some gross overstatements, you have to accept the fact that he has a right to voice his concern about the problems WHERE HE LIVES! If people were cruising out to the Jack-in-the Box you owned and started wrecking stuff, would you be pissed? I live in a place where people come for recreation. You know what I hear from manyof the business owners up here? They say the "Snowboard Punks just come into my place to rip off stuff and eat for free..." You know what- he is right! I have ben in his pizza parlor and seen what has happened. And the outcome was a loss of a regular All-you-can-eat Pizza night that locals had been going to to support the youth athletic leagues for years.
Since I have a minitruck that I am building up into a prerunner, I guess I could be classified as a "minitruck kid" with everyone else simply for owning one. But just because people go to Ocotillo to recreate offroad gives no one the right in any way to screw other peoples stuff up. Even tacitly giving people acceptance for this stuff is wrong. If this stuff wasn't happening, do you think the Rangers would be taking pictures and building files? Think about it that way. If people went out there to have a good time driving offroad, enjoying the campfire at night, etc...and not looking for the next outhouse to jack up or roadsign to run over, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Bonzen

Reaction
I probably know most of the rangers out there by name since I go to ocotillo around 25 times a year. They are all pretty cool most of the time as long as you dont give them attitude and you arent breaking any major laws. I kinda think this whole thing is a little out of porportion, I dont think you will get stereotyped as long as you know when to drive fast and when to drive slow and dont be a scumbag and throw trash everywhere. From an Ocotillo local's standpoint, as local as you can get without actually living out there, I say use your common sense and be civil to the rangers if they talk to you. They talk to me out there almost every time and I have never had a problem with any of them.

-Ryan

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I think its underage kids drinking who happen to drive prerunners that this guy is bitter at and are causing ruckus and also who the rangers are going to crack down on. Rangers cant mess with you if you do nothing wrong and this guy(article writer) wouldnt be bitter if people didnt do things to vandalize his business. You all say..."we dont do anything wrong and we pick up our trash and other peoples trash"...well last time I checked underage drinking, takings bong rips, or 16 year old girls doing keg stands and getting naked for cameras wasnt legal, although I have no problems with that type of behavior... some people obviously seem to have a problem with it. So if you are at a camp with a bunch of rowdy kids doing illegal things...you are ASKING to be harassed.

Bonzen

Reaction
Yeah you are 100% right I kinda forgot about all that stuff..dont know how lol! They really like to bust underage drinking out there. Here's a short story for you all.

We were out there one night watching this truck burn down, we had nothing to do with it, but hey when the fire department comes out and is hosing down a burning truck you have to admit it is kinda cool to watch. So since we are over there hanging out, the rangers come over and ask us about it. Once they figure out that we have nothing to do with it, then they realize that I am drinking..I had just opened my first beer and I had drank like 1/3 of it and he is all, "Son, you can't drive now" I'm like, Uh Ok, I'm completely sober but I dont want to start a scene. So anyway he made my girlfriend at the time drive my truck away, who didnt even know how to drive stick, but hey she learned really fast! So that was like the biggest incident I have had with the rangers, and like I said as long as you be cool they will respect your maturity.

-Ryan

sirhk100

Reaction
I remember a while back someone asked if anyone else types up these long messages, re-reads them and then deletes them thinking why the f'ck am I wasting my time... Yeah, I just did that.
frown.gif

sirhk100

Reaction
Hmm, was that the "driving over a SMALL bush lead to the DUI test night" and me walking up freaked out my "best friend" ranger so much that he's got his hand on his gun telling me to take my hands outta my pockets as you guys are telling him to chill and that I'm a friend?

Bonzen

Reaction
yeah that was that night...lol that one ranger that was a rookie was pretty sketchy, and we couldnt have been more chill with him. Oh by the way for everyone here I didnt run over any bushes, that was someone else there that did it right in front of a ranger and then had to get a DUI test...Funny thing was after it was all over the ranger backed his exploder up right over a big bush and we all threatened to give him a ticket..... is that the same guy that pulled you over for being the wheelie king?

-Ryan

sirhk100

Reaction
Yep, the sketchy rookie ranger is the one... I've been pulled over 3 times by him. Everytime he approaches me he's got his hand on his side ready to draw. I know he didn't connect my Explorer with me. He know's me on my bike though. Oh, and to further clarify the bush thing... It was more like a weed that needed pulled.

In_the_works

Reaction
Sure am glad I drive a fullsize with plastic fenders. I must have a "real-prerunner".

Ryno

Reaction
Rhi-

I can understand your frustration. I've been going to Ocotillo Wells for over 10 years now. I can remember when I could count the number of trucks out there on two hands. First, the guy lives there. He's got a right to bitch. The "kids" who ARE respectful out there is shrinking by leaps and bounds. Same type problems in Glamis. These "kids" are going out there to party, not to offroad or ride. We all go out there to be with our friends, ride, and hang out. I think we can all agree that having a couple beers at night @ camp is no big deal, but when people go out to simply get f'ed up, party, and have no other reason for being there...we have a problem.

Bottom line is this. If you hang out with the same crowd, and go out there often enough, they know who you are, and you retain a reputation. The rangers aren't there to keep anyone from having a good time, they are they to keep out the people who are going to hurt someone else whether they know it or not.

Ryno

dezertchick

Reaction
Website
www.nosala.com
Instead of posting here, try emailing Sherri, she is the editor of San Diego Off Road Mag. She, I am sure very willing to print your side of this problem.

Since you have to current issue, look for the memorial to Dani Mester (page 10), all that took was a couple of emails and pics to her and here she gave a 1/2 page memorial to Dani without asking for anything from me.

She is a very nice person, I think you may want to voice your concerns to her. Her mag tries to show all sides of any problems in the desert, and make it better for us.

Send her an email and I am sure she will show your side of this problem.

sdor@simplyweb.net