Prerunner Problem now Mini-truck Kids...

martininsocal

Reaction
Danny- here is how it usually works for me- I am out in the dez, say, on the access road between S/F and Stoddard Rd. Driving the access road with all the other folks out there heading out to pit. We are travelling the posted (for the day) speed that the BLM has chosen and we are mindful of the dust problem and staying back far enough so if the guy in front of us has to brake, we don't make him a hodd ornament. Then some mini or fullsize truck with glass fenders starts weaving in and out of the line, trying to pass, screwing up the constant speed everyone else is running. Jammin on its brakes, cutting right in front of the next car, etc...invariably the driver and the passenger have the requisite flat bill turned to the side, chrome chain, usually no shirt on, and I am sure they have the wallet leash hanging out their pocket. I can only imagine they also have pants or shorts that are too big, allowing their boxers to show up around their bellybuttons. Now, this is not everytime, but most of the time. That is how stereotypes start...a specific group repeats a trend that is then attributed to that group as normal behavior. While not every flatbiller will drive like an A$$ and endanger evryone else, enough of them will to make it appear all flatbillers are like that. Same with rednecks, Whisky Tango, gang bangers, etc... While we are all told to never judge by those who pass judgement on us for judging, being able to make conclussions from first impressions is one of the things that makes our species have a higher survivability rate. If we didn't pass judgement on the people we saw, many more of us would be dead, robbed, injured, etc...because we wouldn't show the ability to use judgement.
If you act responsibly, show respect to others while in the dez, and don't give folks reasons to think you are just like every other flat biller out there, you won't be lumped in with them. Just remember, initial impressions are the most lasting.

murphco

Reaction
the best thing to remember is that it is not the plastic fender prerunner doing the damage it is the driver.this "problem" has come to the level it is at because of popularity.this is a fun pass time and i recommend it to any and all.what i do not reccomend is bringing the traits that some of these people have to this environment.these people would be exhibiting this behavior in any type of sport/pass time in most cases,(i cannot see deegan on the tennis court or at a chess tournament). this "problem"is the same or similiar to other trend type pass times.i remember when the horse riders hated the motrcyclers, skiers hated the snowboarders,the hikers hated the mountain bikers,etc.that is kind of apples to oranges but whatever.i know guys that where racing" those hondas" years ago not 2 or 3, but ten or more.they where not laughed at or made fun of like the pep zone crowd that is keeping the neighborhood informed of their inability to leave the exhaust alone.the point is more people will come to our pass time and in time they will leave,bad for buisness but good for the rep that we should rebuild.i have converted many a lowered truck owner to this pass time and hope to covert many more.and is jerry a mini truck kid?

ryans

Reaction
Now that we know that flatbillers are being targets of a very negative stereotype they will need to take it upon themselves to go out of their way to be cool with the rangers and any other authorities. You have a choice in what you wear and how you act. Do you want to contribute to or take away from the stereotype. One day I was having a good conversation about the races at Laughlin at the happy hills to a guy in a gray jacket shades and a black and white hat with a strait bill. He seemed to be very genuine about his interest in the races then his buddy from behind the bushes motions him to come over and light up with him... I lost all respect for the guy that I give everyone I first meet. Talk with people and make judgements based on character not the clothes they wear or the truck they drive... (Hints of a famous black man).