prerunner/race truck insurance

singlehanded

Reaction
Ok, so I am planning on getting a f150 in a month or so and was wondering what insurance I need on my race ranger it is street legal. I will only be using it at rialto mdr races glamis ect not on the road. Do I need it insured legally? I not to sure how much my insurance on the f150 will be and would like to not have to pay on both.

thanks

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
You will get a break for multiple car discounts and having the ranger as a second vehicle with one driver will make it a lot cheaper. The only problem with insurance is my 78 chevy blazer costs way more then my 02 Chevy Silverado Z71. The reasons is because its has no airbags or anti lock brakes. Its my 3rd vehicle and considered less then 5k miles a year and its still more..

singlehanded

Reaction
problem is still got dui and two accidents on record. do you need insurance if its not driven on the street?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

tedmales

Reaction
if its not going to be on the street at all, then no, but you will have to give up the plates to the dmv. then its no street at all, but no cost either.

life is too short to be small

singlehanded

Reaction
but if it insured at time of registration due I would be able to keep it street legal,right. what do you have to do to get a green sticker I would need one if I dont have it street legal,right

martininsocal

Reaction
To get a green sticker, you will have to surrender the plates to DMV and pay the Green sticker fees. It will not be street legal then. If you want to register it for the street, you will have to go through the process of converting from green sticker to street legal(Light and safety check, brakes, etc...) can be a hassle if you do things like change to aftermarket lighting, remove the e-brake, etc...

If your gonna go, go BIG

SpeedRacer

Reaction
When you say MDR races, are you planning on using the Ranger to prerun, chase or race in 1450 class?

There are several MDR 1400/1450 racers who post on this site so hopefully someone will know the answer to the following questions. What does “street legal” mean? Current DMV registration, DMV registration at one time in the past, or a plate from the family Suburban?

If it means current DMV registration then proof of insurance is required at the time of registration or renewal by the DMV. I do not think MDR cares about street insurance.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Insurance and current registration is checked at post tech at MDR races. Street legal is just that, if it has a plate and is currently registered and insured, It can run.

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

singlehanded

Reaction
thanks thats what I needed to know I guess I just have to pay for both so I can race mdr 1400/1450.

martininsocal

Reaction
To race atthe MDR races, you have to have a currently registered vehicle whether it is Street registered or green stickered, must be current. Even out of state folks now have to have the California use permit.

If your gonna go, go BIG

singlehanded

Reaction
So if its green stickered you can race 1400/1450 as long as you have insurance. then I might as well keep it registered and insured as a normal car.