Prerunner steering setup

Flippinrigs1

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this so sorry if this is an over answered question. I've done some research and I've read of 2 ways that seem to be undecided as to which is the better setup.. a Saginaw box or a rack and pinion.. like i said, im new to the desert scene but have done rock crawling in which full hydro is used and that doesn't seem practical for this. So what is the best steering set up to run on an a arm truck? And how would you set it up? Thanks in advance!

EOR1488

Seems there is alot of give and take between the two.

The rack is going to be a little easier to set up and easier to get angles etc on but is a little more limited then the box and not as strong as the box. If you set up off a box you have to design swinger etc into the system which makes it a little more complicated in general but you can run it hydro assisted as well which alot of guys really like. Really depends what your set up is and what you are going for as well.

Attachments

70Y07A

Would there be much to stuff around with doing a full Hydro setup?

GEARDOC

Here is the newest option from Fortin. 6" throw, 2.750" ram. Heat treated billet steel steering mount. Recommended for vehicles with 39" of larger tires.

Attachments

EOR1488

Would there be much to stuff around with doing a full Hydro setup?
Couple other notes. The rack makes it more difficult to get to zero degrees of bump steer throughout the travel then the box. Although most good set ups now days are pretty close to perfect.

As far as full hydro don’t see a lot of desert guys do it for numerous reasons. Mainly only rock crawlers and some of the king of Hammers type trucks that have huge tires, running slower overall speed and taking big hits from rocks. I imagine a full hydro set up at 120+ mph could be a little sketch.

If you are running Desert Howe, Fortin, Pro Am, Lee, Power steering Solutions, Sweet have anything and everything to make a reliable, strong and relatively inexpensive set up.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

70Y07A

I had heard that also. Might be some playing around but could you change the orbital to say a 2:1 raito type of setup so its not as sketchy?