PreRunners - Low Budget

Jordan

Reaction
Ok Ok so the previous prerunners post proved that if you own a shop, have friends that own a shop or have a ton of cash you can have a kickass prerunner. How about we all post some pictures and talk about some trucks/prerunners that dont fall into the above mentioned qualifications? So, what have you seen that is let's say under $20K invested that is a nice prerunner????

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I think my first pick would be Greg's ranger from United Prerunners. How many can say they have a truck fully caged, coilover and bypassed all the way around. May not look the nicest but it handles really well and has been tested!!!! And he did it all him self.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Gregs would be top dog in that category!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Jordan

Reaction
I agree that Greg's is awesome! I wasn't starting this trying to name the best just trying to see what some people have found to be low budget nice trucks! Let's see some pics!

sincitysump

Reaction
Thats about what my budget is going to be. What would you guys do with a pretty much stock 1995 4x4 SR5 and six grand to spend on it? It will still be a daily driver. Anyone know of a skunk works on a low budget project like this?

Politicans are like diapers, they both need to be changed often and for the same reasons

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Jordan are you talking about including the price of the truck or $20k after the purchase?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Greg's truck is the perfect example.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

martininsocal

Reaction
I am just getting started on my "on the cheap" chase runner. I found an '87 2wd ranger for 800 bucks. runs great, little on the ugly side, but it was gonna get front glass anyway, so paint will be included. so far I have the original 8 franklins plus 950 for bent beams, autofab coils, camburg extended radius arms (all new, you could go used, but you take a risk on something being cracked or broke that you can't see)a set of BFG bajas for 500, 2 used glass front fenders for 100. I will probably spend 200-300 for rims, 400 for rear leaves, 800 for shocks, 200 for the rear re-gear, 200 for seats, 120 for the cage work and another 300 for misc. should be about 4500 when I am done. you can get interior cage kits from Jeg's Performance for the ranger and some others to make it safe. I will do shock mounts, etc...myself. I will send pics when i get started. I am collecting parts so I can do it all at once and keep driving this thing on a daily basis.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Geez Martin you are gettin some good deals on some of that stuff from what is listed. If you are keeping the 7.5 I can get you one already geared (4.56) and posi(auburn). Let me know. I also have a race pack and set of PRPs I will sell you too.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Bonzen

Reaction
Gregs is in the top few of cheap buildups that rule the dez. Brandons Tacoma was pretty clean as well, and worked really good, Mike Kims taco works good too. There is always alot of nice prerunners that were built with $10-15 grand at all the meetings and races, I've ridden in some of them and they work great as well. Of course your truck is pretty nice too, except the rear still kicked last time I rode in it.

Oh yeah, the Piece! Held together with zip ties and duct tape and Austin beats it and it drives home every time.

We'll see how good jasons works with the rear all done!

-Ryan
www.bonzenproductions.com

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Can't wait to see it Martin. I think Gabe Lara's Ranger is just a couple "Franklins" over 20k but it's a VERY SWEET RIDE! I know he's gonna throw another 6 or 7k at it but It's one of my favorites.

Racers Only

Jordan

Reaction
Either really just low budget guys trucks u know what I mean. The everyday guy not the I OWN A SHOP OR HAVE TONS OF CASH GUY. !

NEWLINE_NES

Reaction
Gary Houstons V-8 Ranger (drywall guy) has a bolt on kit on the front and back of his ranger, the front kit is with crossover steering is $6500 and the rear bolt on 4 link is only $2000. The cage from front to rear was only $5000 the only thing that makes it expensive is the motor and 3.0 kings, and that is for all tig welded chromolly work.

www.newline-products.com

BigD

Reaction
is his ranger blue??? if its the one i saw sitting in hnm its sick. who the heck made a $2000 4 link for him??

Ryno

Reaction
Austin's is homebuilt, and well under 20k. It's 4wd capable too!! (could be). Greg's truck is way awesome for the $$$$. Jason's I'm sure will be/ is the same way. I see alot of Tacomas and Rangers that are well under 20k that would work great for chasing/ prerunning. They may night have the magic # of 20" of travel, but they work great for what they are.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
"They may night have the magic # of 20" of travel, but they work great for what they are."

Just wait and see! ;-)

And I can't forget The Piece, for what it is it does really good. And I think he's spent about $9 total on it.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I think total with buying my truck I might have like $12K at the most.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore