Prerunners

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
The gray Ford 4wd truck with the windshield that you posted is Chris Wilson's truck (unless he sold it recently) He has pitted with us at the Locos Mocos pits in baja with it. And you are right about it winning the Baja 1000 in class 8, I think it was 1999. They raced the Baja 2000 in it also.

BeastlyFord

Reaction
They ran a couple of articles on the buildup of the suburban in 4wheel and offroad. The title was "Project Excursion Killer, We Build A Suburban Prerunner" In the article it says that it will be a street legal prerunner. It was built on a frame from a 1973 Chevy pickup to get the pre-smog status so they can run the 496 cubic inch HD motor legally. You can read the articles by going to http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/ click on truck tech, then project trucks, and then on Project Excursion Killer. Attached is a pic of the front suspension.

Attachments

• 24-27608-suburbanfrontsusp.jpg
    24-27608-suburbanfrontsusp.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 369

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
I've never seen this Tatum Motorsports built Tahoe run, but it sure looked cool when I saw it in Laughlin a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• 24-27613-c44.jpg
    24-27613-c44.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 709

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
That Tahoe is $ick.

Does anybody have any info on that white Ford Ranger with the V-8. Its always in Baja, its 4 linked etc, ect. The license plate is like "Drywall guy" or something. That thing is phat.

See ya in the dirt!

pciscott

Reaction
JrSyko the white Ford Ranger you speak of is Gary Houstons. It was originally Larry Planks black Ranger that he sold to Gary to build a full size. The finish work was done by Newline after Larry passed on. The only thing wrong with the truck is it has a Chevy motor, although it does haul ass. 550 Leon Patton horsepower in a light Ranger is pretty awesome. My vote on the ultimate prerunner would have to be Bigbird, but my opinion is biased because I get to drive it. Dane Cardone my friend and race partner can't wait for me to finish my prerunner, He says payback is a bitch. For some reason he thinks I drive his prerunner to hard, No way I say. Newline is finishing up my truck for powder coat in the next couple of weeks, I can't wait. The truck should be finished in September.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You drive it too hard?....Naw! Didn't you rip the rear bumber off Big Bird pulling Syke's prerunner off the side a cliff prerunning the 500?
Can't wait to see the new one!

See ya in the dirt!

pciscott

Reaction
That reminds me Dave Sykes owes Dane $200 for the bumper repair. The bumper was strong, but Dave was in a tough spot. A little background: Dave with his friend Joe was bullshiting on the Mikes loop prerunning the Baja 500 when he put the right side of the car over a cliff(Dave pay attention to the road you would have got hurt!). Were talking straight down 100 feet with bolders at the bottom and them inches away from going over. Dane Cardone, Pat Bell, and myself come upon this truck hanging off the edge with nobody in sight. It was amazing the truck did not go over, and a thought in the back of my head what if I just gave it a little shove. Well we start calling and here comes Dave running down the road out of breath saying that Joe went for help to get some 4 wheel drives to pull it out. The problem was there was very little room to get buy with a cliff going up on one side and down on the other. I said I can snap it out, but Dave thought no way. Meanwhile we are blocking the course and more and more people are coming to give there opinion. Joe gets back and we set her up for the ultimate snap. We weave three straps together because we did not want the strap to brake. We hook up from Danes bumper to Daves I beam. We hook up another prerunner with a safety strap tied from the rear of Daves truck to the front bumper of the truck behind us. Here comes the fun part Dave won't get in his truck to help drive it out with the snap because he thinks the car is going over and will be a good insurance claim. Funny how he lets his friend Joe get in, we borrow a helmet from a buggy guy that thinks we are all crazy. Joe is now ready with his knees knocking and his teeth chattering. I back up Bigbird all the way back to Daves truck and am waiting for the signal to go. The other prerunner that was the safety pulls up next to Daves truck in case the truck went over. Pat Bell is on camera to get this fiasco all on film. Let it happen Captain! I jump on the Gas full throttle and keep a eye on the rear view, BAM and Daves truck is ten feet in the air and Danes rear bumper is flyin along with two spares. When the dust settles Daves truck is back on the road, Joe practically pissed his pants(Joe you are a good friend), Danes crying over his bumper, Daves standing in the road dumbfounded that his car is ok, and Pat Bell got it all on film. The only problem was that Pat had no film in his camera. Oh well a couple of hours at Newline and Bigbird had her clipped wings fixed. Dave it would have been fun to give it a little push and watch her go!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
hahah thats pretty cool. Sounds like something you'd see in a movie. To bad the camera didnt have anything in it that would have made good footage for sure!

I think the $200 would probley be less than his deductable so thats good :)

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Bryan_D

Reaction
What about that blue ranger that is mid engined monster that has been seen at Duffco. I think its running 17" projects with a ton of backspacing. I have heard that that thing is a beast. Looks like a beast though. Any info? Thanks

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Scott -

Its funny to hear the story from a neutral thrid party as thats not the story I got from Dave and Joe!! Joe's a good sport though! BTW, you should of done Dave a favor and pushed the Fodge off the cliff for him!! That old thing has been put together so many times. Actually that is a prerunner that has been to every race in like the last ten years and ALWAYS comes home. Not the prettiest or fastest, but damn near bullet proof!

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
THat blue ranger was a father and son driveway project. It was built on an old full size a-arm chassis so they could put the huge ass motor in it. THe seats are in the extra cab...pretty crazy to look at.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I like Beldens 68 chevy also. He drives it to every race and event that happens in the desert. He has even raced it in class 8 in MDR, I got to ride. :)

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
what does the sticker say? I have never noticed it!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Remember Stupid, Your Driving It Home!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

erikh

Reaction
Here is the only picture of Big Bird I could find. It was taken at the Primm 300 in 2000. I don't think much has changed but it gives you a look at the bumper Scott was talking about.

Attachments

• 24-27675-bigbird.jpg
    24-27675-bigbird.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,433

Just4Fun

Reaction
I've seen the Stewarts, Riviera's and Geiser Bros. built F150's anyone else have any pics of other a-arm'd f150s?

Jason

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Look in the skunk section and you will see Steinbergers new a-arm f-150.

Also in Beldens truck you have to hit the dash to remind him he needs to drive it home. He gets a little too focused on hauling azz.

Just4Fun

Reaction
Ya, his truck is looking very sick, I was just lookin for ideas for my own ride thats all.
Jason
P.M. Fabrication

V8Ranger

Reaction
Does anyone have any pictures of how BigBird was backhalfed? I'm just trying to get some ideas on how to tie the rear cage into the frame.

Thanks