Prerunning at "safe" speeds

mexgamer

Reaction
I want to bring this to everybody's attention. Prerunning is one of the biggest pros of racing in Baja, right? So, shouldn't everybody follow the rules and laws in place so that we may keep prerunning for the ages? What's more important is safety. I'm not trying to bash the person who did this, but he posted it himself so he doesn't care if you see it. Dirt road, highway or whatever, doesn't matter; during prerunning nobody should be going that fast. All the roads are open to the public. Even if there's no traffic at that moment, what happens when a cow crosses the highway and you are going 120mph?
I thought it was a rule to prerun at "safe speeds"? Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure there's a speed limit on that highway either way. And it's not only one team doing it, I've seen many videos and some people dont seem to care to slow down during prerunning.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Appears to be at night as well. A car pulling onto the road would never expect the approaching vehicle to be running that fast and close on them at that speed. Recipe for disaster.

mexgamer

Reaction
I would expect a more responsible attitude from the top TT teams... they are the face of our sport. If you ask me, those who don't prerun at safe speeds should be penalized.
What's funny is that Bryce was complaining about Tavo pulling out of his pit a few seconds in front of Bryce while he was going very fast... so now he is all about safety? At least be congruent. If you have complete disregard for safety, have complete disregard for safety at all times, not only when it's convenient for you... (it's a joke, one should always put safety first)

Mike321

Reaction
Is the scale in MPH or KPH, I can't tell from the video. It would make a big difference.

johndjmix

Reaction
I'll tell you what, while I was pre running in my raptor a local in a mini van passed me around RM90, the winding dirt road with a cliff off the edge. He was going at least 80-90 and going around 100% blind corners at power slide speeds.

I honestly don't think I would have been able to catch him in the raptor!

Very very dangerous. I'm glad no one was coming the other way!

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Robin Hood

Reaction
I would expect a more responsible attitude from the top TT teams... they are the face of our sport. If you ask me, those who don't prerun at safe speeds should be penalized.
What's funny is that Bryce was complaining about Tavo pulling out of his pit a few seconds in front of Bryce while he was going very fast... so now he is all about safety? At least be congruent. If you have complete disregard for safety, have complete disregard for safety at all times, not only when it's convenient for you... (it's a joke, one should always put safety first)

IMO.... Not having the driver and co-driver completely buckled while on the race course and under power should be a disqualification.

JDDurfey

Reaction
^^^ I agree.

A few years ago, I had a flat on my bike while pre-running. I was slowing down to get off the road south of Gonzaga and a "Hummer" came sliding sideways around a turn and threw rocks all over me. That is a commonly used road by locals and he was driving like it was a race.

If I had not been all the way over, I would have been wiped out. I don't understand why people drive this way when pre-running. The video from this race of a truck leaving a pit with the co-driver still hanging out the window is not good!

Dirty Harry

Reaction
What's funny is that Bryce was complaining about Tavo pulling out of his pit a few seconds in front of Bryce while he was going very fast... so now he is all about safety? At least be congruent.

Why should Bryce be responsible for everything that Jesse Jones does before the race? Bryce is his teammate, not his dad.

deano

McDeano
Reaction
IMO.... Not having the driver and co-driver completely buckled while on the race course and under power should be a disqualification.

This type of recklessness took a co-riders life back in 07 at the Primm 300 - Where the class-1 co-rider was not buckled in and they crashed right in the infield at the start of the race .. Right in front of our DA pit -- Not fun watching that happened :( - Also, isn't this the same team that has performed other circus acts in the past hanging off their truck ? :eek:

mexgamer

Reaction
We have to do something about prerunning safety before a tragedy occurs; there are rules that have to be enforced. 120mph anywhere along the course while prerunning cannot be allowed! You know dirt roads are open to public traffic. I don't want to read about somebody losing their life because they thought prerunning was racing

renagade

Reaction
I know FIA monitors via gps all the recce cars for all wrc events, anything over 80kph / 50mph and your outta there.

Reaction
So are you saying that testing or prerunning at speed up the poll line in San Felipe is not OK...

How about a wide open stretch of road say between Gonzaga and Coco's where you can see for miles...

If not, then where?

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
No one wants to see someone die in the dirt... At the same time, keyboard racers that have never tested in baja should recognize the speeds that it takes to actually "test" in Mexico. Highway vs Race Course is pretty tough to differentiate on GPS on the SF side these days...

JDDurfey

Reaction
Anyone who has been in Baja very long, like the persons in question here, should know "safe" places to test or to pre-run at race speed. The San Felipe whoops are most likely not a place you will run across a local, except the zoo road crossing. But the road to Coco's, or from Santo Tomas to the coast and south are trafficked by locals and surfers, not good places to open it up. The highways are full of blind corners and as we all have experienced, it never fails that when you least expect it there is a slow moving truck, bus, or car around that corner, or one coming toward you in your lane.

I think part of the problem is that "we" racers throw caution to the wind because that is what you do to some degree when racing if you are going to win. Also, Baja is like the wild west to some degree, an "anything goes" attitude can emerge quickly, I have been guilty of that.

If a driver is pre-running and crashes and kills himself and passengers that is one thing, but taking out a Mexican local or an innocent bystander like I nearly was, is a different thing all together.

Look at the accident that was reported on here of the Datsun hitting the pre-runner's trailer a few weeks ago. That guy was passing over a hill in a place he had no place passing, from my understanding. He made a poor choice and it could have cost lives instead of a nice car and a damaged trailer. I know I have done that exact same thing in Baja and you can get away with it over and over, but eventually it will bite you in the butt. What if the pre-runners had been a school bus full of kids and some of them died? Granted, the guy in the car wasn't a desert racer, but I am sure that we would all be lumped together in that situation.

The most dangerous part of Baja is driving on the roads and pre-running. My reasoning behind this is our mentality while doing it. When racing, we have a completely different mindset. We are focused and driven. Yes, we take chances, but they are calculated and for the most part the race course is closed to local traffic. We all know that we must cross the finish line to get a cheap trophy and bragging rights. But the chase teams end up in a race on the highway and while pre-running we let our guards down to the dangers and often times go just as fast as we race.

Everyone knows that if a bike and a truck leave Bay of LA at the same time and the bike takes the course to Viscaino and the truck the highway, the bike will always win if he keeps a decent pace. However, many times I know guys that have taken that as a challenge and haul butt to try to beat the bike. For what reason? Only so say he did it. I think most of us have been guilty of doing stupid things like this in Baja. We need to police ourselves and stop this from happening. I don't see how SCORE can regulate pre-running speeds. The cost to put trackers, safety inspect pre-runners, and then enforce a pre-run speed would be astronomical and impractical. So how do we get the unsafe practices stopped? We change the mentality of the racers and crew members. Because if we don't, it will bring an end to our days in Baja. The sport will be relegated to short course races, and who wants that. Not that there is anything wrong with short course racing, but Baja is not even comparable to short course racing.

My .02 on the subject.

y2kbaja

Reaction
We all know we all speed during pre-runs. And we all know we do it when safe. We just don't post it on social media. The videos you see are the parties getting caught. What's worse is the Score FB page sharing the speeding prerun videos.