• Forum membership has its advantages....

Prerunning the Baja 500

Texasnative

Hi Folks,

Been to Baja for the 500 years ago but flew in just in time for contingency and the race. However, would welcome any tips for prerunning Baja. Here is what I understand we should consider:

1. Hydrate well
  2. It is "prerunning" not "preracing" (give yourself and team plenty of time)
  3. Use a prerunner to prerun
  4. Not just during prerun but also race: Chase teams take caution. Get there and back with safety as the major consideration
  5. Bring the necessary tools, safety equipment, etc. in the prerunner...you just never know
  6. Communication with your team is vital of course since other links will not be available
  7. Be very considerate of the locals (I know...very obvious but sometimes can't hurt to remember)
I'm sure I am missing a lot but better to prepare now than later...

Thank you in advance for your comments.
John

Texasnative

Hi Folks,

Been to Baja for the 500 years ago but flew in just in time for contingency and the race. However, would welcome any tips for prerunning Baja. Here is what I understand we should consider:

1. Hydrate well
  2. It is "prerunning" not "preracing" (give yourself and team plenty of time)
  3. Use a prerunner to prerun
  4. Not just during prerun but also race: Chase teams take caution. Get there and back with safety as the major consideration
  5. Bring the necessary tools, safety equipment, etc. in the prerunner...you just never know
  6. Communication with your team is vital of course since other links will not be available
  7. Be very considerate of the locals (I know...very obvious but sometimes can't hurt to remember)
I'm sure I am missing a lot but better to prepare now than later...

Thank you in advance for your comments.
John

UTVs...

Honda48X

What are you racing and then what are you prerunning in? It is best to prerun in a similar type of vehicle to the one you are going to race.

Texasnative

What are you racing and then what are you prerunning in? It is best to prerun in a similar type of vehicle to the one you are going to race.
We are racing a water-cooled Class 12(..or in BITD Class 1100). Prerunner will be a UTV...not exactly sure if it will be a Polaris Razor or a Can-am yet.

swiftracing5

It really depends on the layout of the course but I will give my 2 cents on our experiences with a rzr:

take sat phone, if you have a chase truck put the other one in the truck

200 miles in a utv in one day is a long day. You won’t be in a good mood after, if you’re not out there fixing it. Plan for 100–150. Gives time for lunch and a comfortable pace plus limit the night driving.

pack warm clothes and something to make a fire. I’ve been sweating my a off during the day and freezing up on the summit

bring compact food. Tendency is to pack a cooler but it sucks to pull up to lunch and your mayo broke and everything inside is tainted. Things like bars and boxed snacks. And of course plenty of water.

try to plan the days around ending in cities, don’t count on driving back to Ensenada every night. We aim for nights at Mikes, San Felipe, San quintin. If you have a long day and have to drive back to Ensenada it’s not fun or safe.

McCredie A

Hey John,

This is Andrew McCredie we have spoken about the baja insurance. Ben gave some good advice. He is also friends with Steve. Ben the OP is one of Steve's buddies. You two will most likely cross paths at some point or be prerunning together haha!

It is never too early to start planning.

Texasnative

It really depends on the layout of the course but I will give my 2 cents on our experiences with a rzr:

take sat phone, if you have a chase truck put the other one in the truck

200 miles in a utv in one day is a long day. You won’t be in a good mood after, if you’re not out there fixing it. Plan for 100–150. Gives time for lunch and a comfortable pace plus limit the night driving.

pack warm clothes and something to make a fire. I’ve been sweating my a off during the day and freezing up on the summit

bring compact food. Tendency is to pack a cooler but it sucks to pull up to lunch and your mayo broke and everything inside is tainted. Things like bars and boxed snacks. And of course plenty of water.

try to plan the days around ending in cities, don’t count on driving back to Ensenada every night. We aim for nights at Mikes, San Felipe, San quintin. If you have a long day and have to drive back to Ensenada it’s not fun or safe.
Thank you so much for the information! Hope to see you guys down there...
John

Texasnative

Hey John,

This is Andrew McCredie we have spoken about the baja insurance. Ben gave some good advice. He is also friends with Steve. Ben the OP is one of Steve's buddies. You two will most likely cross paths at some point or be prerunning together haha!

It is never too early to start planning.
Hey Andrew,

Sounds good and will be calling you soon on the insurance!

John