Prerunning the Peninsula

BajaboundMoto

RDC Crypto
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
I've raced 11 times to La Paz or Cabo (motos). My usual thing on prerunning is reserve a few beds in a couple limited locations like Catavina and San Ignacio for targeted nights, even if I'm not set on needing those beds. I do those reservations 8-10 months in advance just in case. If the route comes out and it's not going by Catavina (for example) I cancel well in advance. I never leave any hotel holding the bag for a reservation I made, always pay even if no-show.
I don't sweat the bigger cities.... Ensenada, Felipe, Quintin, GNegro, Vizciano, Loreto, Constitucion, etc all have enough rooms for prerunning to not sweat it. Granted I'm talking like 4 dudes needing beds, not a team of 10, that's a different dealio.
Pre run "plans" are tough to stick to, so we wing it in most areas and aware of what we have at Catavina and Ignacio.

There's usually nothing technical anywhere near Bay of LA.
Whoops before Ignacio? Eh, those to the west of Vizciano ain't too bad. @calstyl2 the silt, yeah! But the BS west of Insurgentes/Constitucion sucks, and is apparently part of my section this year...

9rocky

RDC Crypto
Anyone know if Ultra low sulfur diesel is available in Southern Baja?
We have been told the 7 VP fuel stations south of Guerro Negro all carry ULSD. Also, some of the Chevron stations have told us their fuel comes from the US and their diesel is "Baja azufre".

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Anywhere to stay near Cataviña or do we have to push all the way to Bay of LA?

My dad is insisting that we all pack a sleeping bag for a cozy night under the stars in case we don’t find rooms down south.

joshmx88

RDC Crypto
we stayed at a place in catavina right off the highway there last time in 17. It was a good size hotel but I dont remember the name. we made reservations for it.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
There used to be a dump of a hotel across the street and a little to the north of the Mission in Catavina. I have no idea if it is even still there or open. We piled 4 guys into a tiny room back while prerunning the Baja 2000. There also used to be a pretty quaint little place in Viscaino right across from a tire shop. It had like little cottages to rent. I've stayed there twice.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Good to know.

With limited days to spend prerunning, where would focus your time if you knew you couldn’t see the whole course?

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
That depends entirely on course route. If you look back at older maps, there was a time that the course didn't go east through the mountains to Loreto? Are they using that nasty silt section before San Ignacio or running the highway all the way into town from Viscaino like we did in 07? Is it staying east of Constitucion or going to the Pacific side?

JulioBaeza28

RDC Crypto
There used to be a dump of a hotel across the street and a little to the north of the Mission in Catavina. I have no idea if it is even still there or open. We piled 4 guys into a tiny room back while prerunning the Baja 2000. There also used to be a pretty quaint little place in Viscaino right across from a tire shop. It had like little cottages to rent. I've stayed there twice.
Rancho Santa Ynez

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
Dad forgot to include loaf of bread , p butter and jelly inside sleeping bag .
This too…
6F397B89-B566-4794-BC4A-F7C798E92839.jpeg

PAB

40's rock!
RDC Crypto
Anywhere to stay near Cataviña or do we have to push all the way to Bay of LA?

My dad is insisting that we all pack a sleeping bag for a cozy night under the stars in case we don’t find rooms down south.

There was a time we never went to Baja without a sleeping bag.....I'm bringing one for sure now ha ha