prerunning with a tool box

Roscoes Rescue Rangers

Reaction
I do It works for me and you can lock it up. its practical and you can carry more parts. just remember to use the double sided sticky tape and bolt it down good. Also pack foam in and around your tools to keep every thing from bouncing around. My friends gave me grief but my stuff has never been stolen, or left on the trail.

Last edited:

JPBart

Reaction
If the bed rails support all the weight be prepared for the bed rails to crack. Been there, done that. Might be better off getting one of the ones that sit on the floor of the bed and can be bolted a little more securely to the chassis.

MH20

Reaction
I generally put all my wrenches into wrench rolls, then put those along with everything else into one of the Mastercraft canvas bags. You can use the provided straps to hold the bag down, but I prefer to put the bags into large ammo cans. You can make them lockable very easily and they are also very handy for carrying extra fluids and parts.

Attachments

• DCP_0815_web.jpg
    DCP_0815_web.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 539
  • DCP_0827_web.jpg
    DCP_0827_web.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 488
  • DCP_0832_web.jpg
    DCP_0832_web.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 396

ML Racer

Reaction
If the bed rails support all the weight be prepared for the bed rails to crack. Been there, done that. Might be better off getting one of the ones that sit on the floor of the bed and can be bolted a little more securely to the chassis.

I agree with you regarding the bed rails.........had to repair mine and I don't even pre-run with my truck, just chase!

Bulldozer

Reaction
If you have a full bed ammo boxes or large plastic storage bins (like the rubbermaid material) and some net and tie downs works well for me.

Well, I don't race, so not actually prerunning, but for playing in the desert and camping and stuff.

WORCS332

Reaction
i would probably not use that tool box. i would put my tools in bags because they become alot less obnoxious.

aiiraciing

Reaction
Website
whiteboystoys.com
I generally put all my wrenches into wrench rolls, then put those along with everything else into one of the Mastercraft canvas bags. You can use the provided straps to hold the bag down, but I prefer to put the bags into large ammo cans. You can make them lockable very easily and they are also very handy for carrying extra fluids and parts.

Hey Matt, what kind of wrench rolls are you using, I've been runing 2 large bags full of wrench's, screw drivers ect, then having all my sockets in 2 other containers and I would like to condense my tools without making it a huge hassle.

Brian

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
Our company used to use tool boxes like this to drive around the oilfields (really bumpy dirt roads all day long). They inevitably tore up the beds. We started reinforcing them with 1/8" flat and angle iron right from the get go, but lots of them still fell apart. We ended up getting away from that kind of tool box and stayed with the square boxes that go onto the bottom of the bed. Even then you need to keep everything tied up and use foam...

dadunc205x

Reaction
Website
www.seymourduncan.com
I use several tool bags(enough so that they all don't weigh 100lbs.) i keep them organized, sockets in one, hammers/cutters/wrenches in another, and tape/wire/electrical connectors in another. most of the time you will only need one tool. having several bags with different tools helps so you don't have to dig through one bag for 10 minutes trying to find a certain tool. make sure the bags are good quality though. I found a wrench in the middle of the trail once, and picked it up, only to realize it was mine, lol. My bag tore a hole in its self and i lost some tools out in the desert. I know an ammo can would have prevented this, but with a bag you can easily strap it to a bedcage or whatever without having it mounted perminantly.

MH20

Reaction
Brian, I have a set of "CLC Pit Crew" roll ups that I found at ORW for cheap (~$10), I've been looking for another one but ORW doesn't seem to have them anymore. Mastercraft makes some pretty nice ones too.

We fit everything we need for a Mexico trip into 2 Mastercraft canvas bags which are each 1/2 to 3/4 full. These fit perfectly into 20mm ammo cans on top of various fluids and spare parts.

http://mastercraftseats.com/acc_toolbag.php