Pressurized fueling accident (Crickets...)

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Having built many "fireworks" from plastic housings, I beg to differ on all accounts.
Fireworks with a 'flammable' liquid? Having been through numerous hazmat classes dealing with the difference between flammable, explosive, etc... I can tell you you are incorrect.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The damage between a detonation and a deflagration are huge, especially to the human body. And the fire ball will not be nearly as large from a liquids release from a poly fuel jug compared to a air'fuel blast from an aluminum container. Apples and shopping carts, not potatoes.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
The biggest variable, and as such, risk, is people. Starting in 2021 Ultra4 season, all crew that touches the car during the fueling process will be required to be in full fire gear (suit, gloves, shoes, head protection) AND be hard carded for the season by USAC (United States Auto Club...our sanctioning body).

We have been issuing hard cards for several years but it has been primarily about convenience. In two weeks we will roll out a certification process for pit crew that will include online education and testing.

No one is more aware of the risks that are associated with fueling and pitting than the crews. It is my hope that with some organization and open communication, the newly formed group of certified crew will help drive safety initiatives and encourage compliance.

In the interim our teams have been advised that all aspects of the fueling process are under review.

Last edited:

Ikaika

Reaction
The biggest variable, and as such, risk, is people. Starting in 2021 Ultra4 season, all crew that touches the car during the fueling process will be required to be in full fire gear (suit, gloves, shoes, head protection) AND be hard carded for the season by USAC (United States Auto Club...our sanctioning body).

We have been issuing hard cards for several years but it has been primarily about convenience. In two weeks we will roll out a certification process for pit crew that will include online education and testing.

No one is more aware of the risks that are associated with fueling and pitting than the crews. It is my hope that with some organization and open communication, the newly formed group of certified crew will help drive safety initiatives and encourage compliance.

In the interim our teams have been advised that all aspects of the fueling process are under review.

Dave,

Excellent !!!

I've been a USAC member in the past but have not engaged in any of your events for the last few years.

Is the "online" education & testing open to all who are interested ?.....OR.......USAC members only ?

Please advise......I think this is a really good starting point and I am thankful of your efforts in seeking out solutions.

Cheers !

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction

Can you elaborate on a couple of things for me so we are prepared for those people who aren't?

Suit- How many Layers? Are two piece suits Ok or nah? Could someone supplement a single layer suit with SFI underpants/shirt? BITD allows for us to wear a two piece for fueling but not for racing. (I really like being able to wear a two piece for pitting)

Head Protection- My squad uses uses retired race helmets (with visors) along with a SFI head sock. Will a helmet be required or just a head sock? Eye protection (Goggles)?

Shoes- Legit race SFI shoes or good leather boots?

Every year when there's a new safety rule we get hit pretty hard by peeps that neglected to read the updated rules. I wanna be on point with my inventory.

Last edited: