Pressurized fueling accident (Crickets...)

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
The damage between a detonation and a deflagration are huge, especially to the human body. And the fire ball will not be nearly as large from a liquids release from a poly fuel jug compared to a air'fuel blast from an aluminum container. Apples and shopping carts, not potatoes.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
RDC Crypto
The biggest variable, and as such, risk, is people. Starting in 2021 Ultra4 season, all crew that touches the car during the fueling process will be required to be in full fire gear (suit, gloves, shoes, head protection) AND be hard carded for the season by USAC (United States Auto Club...our sanctioning body).

We have been issuing hard cards for several years but it has been primarily about convenience. In two weeks we will roll out a certification process for pit crew that will include online education and testing.

No one is more aware of the risks that are associated with fueling and pitting than the crews. It is my hope that with some organization and open communication, the newly formed group of certified crew will help drive safety initiatives and encourage compliance.

In the interim our teams have been advised that all aspects of the fueling process are under review.

Last edited:

Ikaika

RDC Crypto
The biggest variable, and as such, risk, is people. Starting in 2021 Ultra4 season, all crew that touches the car during the fueling process will be required to be in full fire gear (suit, gloves, shoes, head protection) AND be hard carded for the season by USAC (United States Auto Club...our sanctioning body).

We have been issuing hard cards for several years but it has been primarily about convenience. In two weeks we will roll out a certification process for pit crew that will include online education and testing.

No one is more aware of the risks that are associated with fueling and pitting than the crews. It is my hope that with some organization and open communication, the newly formed group of certified crew will help drive safety initiatives and encourage compliance.

In the interim our teams have been advised that all aspects of the fueling process are under review.

Dave,

Excellent !!!

I've been a USAC member in the past but have not engaged in any of your events for the last few years.

Is the "online" education & testing open to all who are interested ?.....OR.......USAC members only ?

Please advise......I think this is a really good starting point and I am thankful of your efforts in seeking out solutions.

Cheers !

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto

Can you elaborate on a couple of things for me so we are prepared for those people who aren't?

Suit- How many Layers? Are two piece suits Ok or nah? Could someone supplement a single layer suit with SFI underpants/shirt? BITD allows for us to wear a two piece for fueling but not for racing. (I really like being able to wear a two piece for pitting)

Head Protection- My squad uses uses retired race helmets (with visors) along with a SFI head sock. Will a helmet be required or just a head sock? Eye protection (Goggles)?

Shoes- Legit race SFI shoes or good leather boots?

Every year when there's a new safety rule we get hit pretty hard by peeps that neglected to read the updated rules. I wanna be on point with my inventory.

Last edited:

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I actually forgot to watch this video. Haha. Vince did it during the week of Blue Water and we were busy with the race prep so never had a chance to watch.

so thanks for posting.

Mike

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
I like his greasing tip for the redhead. We always pulled back and greased manually

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
that looks good to me, nothing like a garden hose spicket air valve controller, what could go wrong??it looks well used, whats the story?, how old is doods setup?

51rcr

RDC Crypto
thats an air powered stick transfer pump. safer then a fuel jug gluggin and being spilt. If ya seen a battery powered or hand pump transfer pump there no would notice.

51rcr

RDC Crypto
i dont see the separate air line to pressure the small bung?No need with a stick pump to pressurize the drum unless its something that needs pressure to keep it from frothing or boiling. I do hav e set up to do that which is rare to use it. 50 psi to the stick pump prolly? even then if its 2:1 pump thats 100 psi on the output hose only and most fuel hoses if thats what he has are 300 psi. Stick pumps are the safest since no electricity ect. and even have a ground for static. Now if that stick pump has a tight seal and he rapidly pumps it down the vacuum will implode an squish it down. Drums can take more pressure then you would think. Drums i get of material have a 13psi regulator built into the bung, if you split it apart its like a thermostate. I before that or if they come non regulated in the hot summer and bounce down the road i get drums that the ends are bulged out. I dont know how many PSI different strenght drums are rated at and failure pressure. I do know that it usually takes above 100 PSI to blow up a plastic water bottle.