****Pretty Welds....****

axeman

Limitless is working in middle east saw some of his work the other day and it is great as always hopefully can get him to come and do some work with me here in uk soon

Gonzo 5/1600

This thread has given me a lot of entetainment, I have a huge amount of respect for those of you who can demonstrate a true mastery of the skill. So its time I start to contribute... Now I can lay down a respectable bead with TIG and MIG but you guys have seen plenty of that here.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the oldest and arguably prettiest form of welding, I guess its not practiced widely enough.

Here are some of my recent projects in progress: (wood working tools) These are hand forged, shaped, and etched by me, much more to come as time becomes available (probably a few hundred hours in just these 3)... I need a power hammer haha. Enjoy!

Close up of some pattern:

Wood cutting chisels:

The process is very labor intensive and can be a steep learning curve, but the results are very rewarding!

atomicjoe23

This thread has given me a lot of entetainment, I have a huge amount of respect for those of you who can demonstrate a true mastery of the skill. So its time I start to contribute... Now I can lay down a respectable bead with TIG and MIG but you guys have seen plenty of that here.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the oldest and arguably prettiest form of welding, I guess its not practiced widely enough.

Here are some of my recent projects in progress: (wood working tools) These are hand forged, shaped, and etched by me, much more to come as time becomes available (probably a few hundred hours in just these 3)... I need a power hammer haha. Enjoy!

The process is very labor intensive and can be a steep learning curve, but the results are very rewarding!
Gonzo, those are AWESOME!!! I've started doing some hobby blacksmithing myself, but I haven't done any forge welding or damascus work yet. . .what steels did you use? I especially like the draw knife. . .I have one, but the blade is not nearly as pretty as that. . .gets me to thinking about making a damascus froe blad since I've been wanting a froe anyway.

Also, if you haven't before you should visit bladeforums.com and possibly the Northwest Blacksmith Association's webpage blacksmith.org. . .we get a few guys from Northern California that come up for the spring and fall conferences. Those things would sell like hotcakes up here at the Pacific Northwest Tool Collector's club meetings!

Keep it up and feel free to post more of those pic's up anytime! I for one enjoy them very much!

Gonzo 5/1600

Thanks! I still need to make handles but they're mostly finished. The steels I used are 1084, 1095, and 15N20 (common choices for pattern welding). I'm taking smithing classes through the California Blacksmith Association, but they don't teach this stuff in class, so I do it with my forge and anvil.

Lots of ideas for projects to come, I'll try to document.