Preventing Shock Meltdown

irb4ur

Reaction
How do you protect your shocks from a total meltdown over long distance desert? Is it in the shock design? How you mount them? What's the best setup?

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
In short, to prevent total meltdown... don't overwork the shocks.

Design and mounting are both factors although the "best setup" varies by application, post up your application, setup, and photos and you will have more advice than you can work through in a month.

CaptinCrash

Reaction
go nye frank on them have them have thier own radiators that will save them ask rob mac

zukIzzy

Reaction
How do you protect your shocks from a total meltdown over long distance desert? Is it in the shock design? How you mount them? What's the best setup?

Aren't you a shock guy? ORI or something like that. Joel is right without going into great detail you need enough shock for the job. Spliting the duty between a coil over and a bypass is a great way to start. Using a coil of spring steel to support weight is better then a cylinder of compressed gas to keep temps down.

What exactly are you asking? placment, cooling, size.....

wayne

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
go nye frank on them have them have thier own radiators that will save them ask rob mac
Nye frank's shocks had cooling systems because they had to be run at a certain temperature due to them being airshocks. A small change in temp makes a large difference in gas force due to the diameter of the shafts. Also why they were outlawed in Pro4...coming to the start line with warm shocks that ran the same temp the whole time was a definite advantage. I dont understand why they didnt embrace them rather than outlaw them but best reason i can think of is airshocks and tuning takes some smarts...or failure mode can be catastrophic.

Waterjackets plumbed to the cooling system is nothing new for shocks though.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Because Rob Mac kept winning.
I agree thats the real reason but thats not what they said when they wrote a rule "no air shocks, rob mac keeps winning".

Kinda like a certain pro4 front shock setup being outlawed from TORC with no reasoning other than...people whining about it who dont understand it. No airshocks involved either.

irb4ur

Reaction
I have been looking at the different setups and noticed that many of you run the shocks away from the wheel, closer in, so the shocks do not travel as much as the wheels. I would assume that the shocks would see less piston speed as a result but would require more spring force/gas pressure to support the same weight. Does this help keep the temp down?

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
The shocks are not located inboard to reduce heat.

The fabricators are interested in the maxumum amount of wheel travel and the shock manufacturers are expected to produce a product that will work in that application without failing.