Primary Company Sponserships

mcoulter70

Reaction
I see offroad race vehicles that have primary company sponserships on the vehicles that are not necesaryly race industry specific (i.e. construction companies, material supply companies, etc). I have short listed a few non-race industry companies that potentially would be interested in such a sponserhip. My question is what level of sponsership is realistic for a company like this? I know, I know, get as much as they are willing to give you and then some.... But these companies have no experience in this (and neither do I) so I could use some guidelines on what a reasonable expectation is in my pursuit. Is covering just the entry fee not enough or too much to ask for a large amount of real estate on the car? What is an ideal term for this agreement (1-year, 2-years, ....)

My goal is to run in the SNORE &/or MORE series races in a 10 Car and possibly cherry pick a BITD race now and then. Any experience you have with this and could share would be greatly appreciated.

slvrbullet

Reaction
Most of those companies you see on race cars are companies of the owners, relatives, working relationships, co drivers companies etc. SNORE and More are not huge series so finding sponsors that are willing to pay a lot for sponsorship can be tough.

"My question is what level of sponsership is realistic for a company like this? I know, I know, get as much as they are willing to give you and then some.... But these companies have no experience in this (and neither do I) so I could use some guidelines on what a reasonable expectation is in my pursuit. Is covering just the entry fee not enough or too much to ask for a large amount of real estate on the car? What is an ideal term for this agreement (1-year, 2-years, ....) "

Really it comes down to what your willing to sell a large piece of real estate on your car for, and how long you want to be locked in that agreement.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Like Silverbullet said- our primary "sponsor" is not someone we cold called and proposed the deal to. The company supplies our decking for all of our docks/piers. We are their second largest contractor in US in terms of product purchased, so once a year they ask us "how can we keep you guys excited about the product and support you?". Ding... lightbulb goes off. So we put together a proposal and came to an agreement of some funding which ended up basically covering SCORE entries for a season. We were very fortunate for this but we project to sell about 30% more decking this year so it is a 2 way street.

The other way is to invest in a professional sponsor proposal from say Bink, and you get a racing resume put together with media, outreach, race results etc. It can get expensive but if you get half you season funded then it would be worth it.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Tip- You are looking for a "partnership" not a "sponsership". (Also, it is spelled sponsorship. Not that I'm Mr perfect at spelling and grammar but ya wanna get that right when doing a proposal.)

I say "partnership" because it is more welcoming and inclusive to those you are proposing the idea to. I also recommend you offering something beyond running the company logo. Offer to do charity event ride alongs or bring the people who count out for testing days. Or between races let them display your buggy. These things are an incentive besides the shiddy ROI they get with you running in a smaller series. A guy will think to himself "I gets to write off a company expense and and live my dream of being in Smokey and the Bandit and hucking a jump by simply paying a few entry fees." All you gotta do is lend him a helmet and meet him in Barstow. This is all oversimplified but you probably get my drift.

FWIW many of the outside industry sponsors ya see are the car owners writing off their own racing expenses under the premise of an advertising expense for their business. Most of the others are like what was mentioned above. Existing business partners/vendors/customers... Also, seconded on getting a pro like Bink to help ya get this together. He does legit work. If you want his contact info feel free to message me.

Last edited:

C4

Reaction
What Dan said is correct. It is a partnership. What happens OFF the race track with social media, charity events, shows, or other ways you can promote / represent said business is equally if not more important than what happens in the race track. In a series like SCORE, BITD, Lucas Oil or others like it, you get a little extra press out of it. There are websites covering the race and just maybe you might be shown on one of those "extra" things and said company will get some screen time somewhere. These are all just GIANT maybes. The only thing you CAN guarantee is that a hundred people or so will see you drive by at 40-50 mph with a bunch of logos on the side of your car. Will anyone notice? If they do will they care? So if you owned a company and someone asked you to give them money in exchange for them putting your name on a car that might be seen in the desert by a hundred or so people, would you do it? My guess is you would not. So deliver more off the track than on.