Primm / CORR Course

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
I know its long, but felt the need to share a little thing about this weekend that many would never have the opportunity to know……

Wednesday last week, my real job that supports my habit of working as a volunteer for many racing groups as a medic asked if I would be willing to work on an ambulance for all 3 days of the CORR Primm race. I jumped at the chance and headed out bright and early Friday morning.

We arrived and parked our ambulance right next to the CORR Tech trailer on the north side of the monster course that had been constructed and set out to look over the area. For those that didn’t not see the race or pictures, it was an incredible layout that had a nice wide track easily capable of 3 wide racing, big turns and a tabletop jump that a guesstimate of 200’ long. I think the course itself was nearly a mile long. Right past that table top jump and before the last turn “Turn 4” was the area that all the vehicles were staged for their practices and racing. Numerous vehicles of various classes were already in staging when we arrived getting ready to go through the tech line. My partner and I retreated back to our ambulance to wait for days practices to start.

About an hour later, the staging area started to clear out and an area caught my attention. A makeshift cross made of wood lathe, flower vases at the base and marked with other wood lathe and flagging around it.

Amazing…..

Nearly 2 months had passed since the SCORE Primm race. The construction crew had transformed the entire area into a monster stadium infield that I am sure many other race promoters will benefit from. At one point I saw about 30 vehicles working this area with scrapers, graders, loaders, bull dozers and water trucks. All of this and not one time was the cross accidentally hit, or the glass flower vases broken. The dried flowers were still there in their vase.

Sunday morning….3rd and final day. Fresh roses in a new vase had been placed overnight. Easily 1000 vehicles had moved through the area of the cross and still it remained. Big Pro 2 / 4 trucks with zero visibility being backed into place by crew members that made sure to avoid it over and over. About 2 pm, the head of the construction crew pulled up and inspected the area. He immediately grabbed additional wood lathe and flagging from his truck noticing that some vehicles had gotten to close. I had to meet this man.

I walked over and told him how impressed I was that this area had been left alone. He said that when he arrived many weeks ago and it was a vacant lot that he had no idea who / what it was for, but he knew he could not disturb it. He said that they actually altered some of their track designs to make sure the memorial was safe.

I told him that I was one of the many that tried to save this person about 2 months ago and that I appreciated his efforts. I told him, that the area he protected was where Erik Morales, 33 years old, husband and father of 3 passed away racing. I shook his hand in thanks knowing that Erik and his family would be appreciative of their efforts to protect the memorial.

I am sure many never noticed it and even more that saw it and had no idea who it was for however to me and I am sure many others, it was appreciated and really meant something.

In the hundreds of races I have covered this unfortunately was not the first death I had dealt with however, seeing the crash and being their a minute later from a crash that most often would have a car back on it wheels and back in the race and this time there being a much different outcome, Erik’s death affected me greatly.

Thank you CORR, the construction crews and all the teams and drivers that went above and beyond to protect his memory.

xjchaser

RDC Crypto
That is an awsome story thank you for sharing. The people are what this sport is all about. One of our family of racers might be gone but never forgotten. God bless us all

Advertising supports this site

C.J. Hutchins

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
It was pretty awesome to see that there. CORR could have easily just taken it down or moved it and many would never have noticed, but they didn't. Thank you Dave for the great story and thank you for keeping us racers safe!

zjohnson

RDC Crypto
Its very cool to here that story and see that there are still people that care that much about others. Hats off to corr for keeping the memorial and an awesome job done at primm this past weekend.

EMS702

Rescue 1
RDC Crypto
Great post its good to see that Erik is not forgotten. I am always impressed with this family we call desert racing. For a group of people trying to set up what I hear was an amazing coarse to race on, to show great respect for a fallen racer's memory is incredible. It is my belief that he was watching over all the races that weekend his spirit right in the middle of the sport he loved. I am really proud to be just a small part of this sport, this dirt racing family.

DailyPedal

RDC Crypto
Website
www.flickr.com
Ditto to the above and just to add...
Thanks to the track building crew for finding, identifying and properly and respectfully marking the site. The pre-grid area at Primm was smaller than had been used before and CORR had more entries to deal with making for a more congested pre-grid area and still EVERYONE showed respect for the memorial site. Thanks to all.

Advertising supports this site

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1426217907.313926.jpg

It has been almost 8 years since that September day that Erik was lost. It still hurts losing any racer, but it is nice that his memory lives on at the track this weekend. This cross sits a couple hundred feet from the large table top jump on the short course that every racer will pass numerous times as they race The Mint 400 this weekend.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
Almost 15 years later and by now hundreds of races have taken place here. The cross still stands proudly and is respected and worked around by each and every racing organization that uses Primm. Pretty remarkable in my opinion.

Attachments

• 36D45540-7A5D-46F4-8C2C-C1985946AF82.jpeg
    36D45540-7A5D-46F4-8C2C-C1985946AF82.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0