PRIMM still on?

Reaction
As the events are progressing, it's becoming more evident the immense impact of the "Tea Party" in New York (& elsewhere). There's hardly any traffic outside my house in metro Los Angeles, it's like the '92 riots, which paralyzed LA for a few days (curfew). Airline flights are cancelled, LAX is shut down, most cities are in emergency mode.

Is the PRIMM going to be happening, or is it being overwhelmed by the national & international disaster? I remember the Parker 400 in '91, where it was on the heels of America's Desert Storm air attacks. Everyone was flying pro-AMerican banners (Dave Shoppe's CLass 8 had an anti-Hussein banner, on his front rock shield. I think it was a picture of Saddam Hussein). Chenowth buggies were used by the US military, for pre-Desert Storm penetrations by recon outfits.

I need to know, because I have to plan my schedule. Maybe I ought to be thinking about USA, instead of offroad racing. I think everyone's atention might be elsewhere, meaning that the race may be kinda irrelevant. I bet some people just won't go, including racers.

Or, maybe, as the saying goes "The Show Must Go On!"

Maybe the race should happen, as a demonstration of solidarity.

What a disasiter. I just had a meeting with an offroad racer last night, who gave me a pit-pass to the PRIMM, to do some Internet webcasting. It was a go, until this morning.

I think any Americans are now volunerable to attack, especially those who wave the American Flag proudly.

It's 2001: a Disaster (possibly a World War) ..I'm living thru history. I never experienced being in a war (Vietnam & WWII happened somehwere else)., I only read about it. Now I'm living a war-situation in my own backyard. It's like a movie. No Hollywood movie could do justice.

- Major League baseball games cancelled today
- airline flights shutdown, LAX is down [ SCORE tells me they have people flying in tomorrow.. I dunno about that happening ]
- LA County Fair shut down
- US/Mexico border is still open, but at hightened awareness
- NFL under coinsideration
_ PGA Tour tournaments cancelled
- Primetime & Latin Grammy's cancelled
- Major league Soccer cancelled
- all California campuses/universities closed

( shutdown air travel is the main reason )

I think PRIMM might happen, but it might be see a significant downturn in attendance (more pressing issues at stake).

Maybe we could show up, & be one of the FEW events to go on. That would be GOOD publicity, wouldn't it? A boost for offroad racing, a chance to wave the American Flag.

I'm tentatively going to PRIMM, unless otherwise advised.

"Go for the Gusto, Go for the Overall"
-- Robby Gordon, SCORE off-road champion

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
SCORE's web site doesn't have any updates regarding a cancellation. You figure people traveling will have a challenge and it is a horrible situation! Do you cancel or show the world that this type of cheeseball attack cannot shut us down completely. People would probably be safest out in the middle of the desert. My $.02

BRAAAAAAAAP!

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I personally don't really feel like having fun right now, but it also shows strength if we continue with our business.

As of this minute the word from Sal Fish / SCORE is that the race is on.

JasonHutter

Reaction
This is a terrible tragedy, but we will still be leaving at 6am tomorrow to start on our way from Colorado. I hope to see some of you out there, there isn't much we can do from home for the people involved, just the families. Our hearts go out to all involved and our great nation.

Jason
Fire Guys Racing

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
People are right, it would show strength if the race did go on. But in a way I think it is understandable if it doesn't happen.
My concern as with others, especially teams like Jason's travelling from Colorado, is how soon can we know for sure if it will still go on. It sounds like Klaus called Sal, which is good because I was going to suggest that someone should do that. Sounds like it is supposed to still happen, but many would like a definite yes before travleling for nothing.
I think tomorrow would be a realistic time to make a final decision if it will happen or not. I hope everyone is notified as soon as possible by way of on the SCORE site or a press release. I have a flight for Thursday night that I have no idea what the staus of that will be. If it can't happen that means I have an 8 hour drive... :(

Today was one of the largest tragedies ever on US soil. I feel for all of those directly involved, killed or injuried by this. I hope this turns out well, and another war is avoided...

Big_Matt

T.A.B.
Reaction
Doug Siewert talked with Sal and he said at this point the race is a go.

<font color=white> "If you aint cheatin' - you aint tryin" </font color=white>

JasonHutter

Reaction
Well, it is starting to look like fuel prices are going to double if not more. We are starting to realize that we may not have the $ to make the trip from CO. We are going to watch the prices before we leave. I hope the best for everyone.

Jason

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
6:30 pm Tuesday - I JUST spoke with Charlie Englebart from SCORE. He stated that there was no activity "out West" that would/should prevent the Primm 300 from taking place.

Although I, like Klaus, don't feel like having fun or clelbrating right now, I also feel like the sooner we get back to "business as usual" the better.

My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to all involved and affected by this horrific event.

Tony Barraza Designworks

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
The race should go on as planned,
This dark & tragic day will live with us the rest of our lives,
My heart goes out to the victims of this senseless act
but, we cant let the cowards win,
Their agenda is to kill & disrupt the free world
We need to pick ourselves up, shake it off & get on with
work & play
I am heading up to Primm Friday, maybe still a little shaken from today,
but im still going
Wayne

Jimmy8

Reaction
If you remember right, in 1991 the parker race almost didnt happen. It was up in the air until the last minute. I remember, because my dad flew an american flag on the truck during the race, as well as almost everyone in attendance. i think the racers at primm should try and do the same, and lets all pray that this doesnt get any worse. we are priviledged to be able to off road race, and most countries dont even have the chance to do things like this. we should all remember that, and remember that it can all be taken away in an instant. May God be with those people and families, and may God be with the racers at Primm.

JCA

Reaction
I am still planning on going. I also will have to watch the fuel price. I was barely going to make it money wise before. I would like to see SCORE get a booth set up for the Red Cross for giving blood. My families thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy. Special thought and prayers to the emergency workers (Fireman) and their families.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Hell, we ALL WAYS fly the AMERICAN FLAG and not just too show we are VERY proud AMERICANS, BUT TO SUPPORT AMERICAN ALWAYS! THATS FROM AGS Racing (Art & Guy) and B & H Buggies. Look at our little 5/1600 it's RED, WHITE & BLUE! WITH STARS! I really hope Primm is on and that we can get the people who did this to the World towers and killed all the people in there.....God speed!
Art "The TECH DUDE" Savedra

martininsocal

Reaction
Terrorists attacks are designed to achieve their objective through fear. If we cannot go on with life in the United States of America after this tragedy, they have won. I wish I was going to Primm, to race, to watch, to be with folks I consider family. I have committed to something else and will be coaching a soccer team on Saturday, spending time with the youth of this country who are the future. Please show the world that they can't dictate how we live our lives. The greatest country in the world will continue to be THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, despite what faceless cowards do to try and dictate our fate. All those going to Primm, drive safe, have fun, enjoy each others company, and relish the fact that you live in the U.S.A. where you can participate in this great sport. Show the world that we are strong enough to overcome, persevere, and get on with life.

If your gonna go, go BIG

El Chinero

Reaction
Here, in Savannah, it is business as usual. We were sent home from Gulfstream at 1200 noon and started the next day as usual. No changes in anything: traffic, work, shops .. other than on-calls at hospitals.

I would HATE to think that "we" would change our way of living over this ... that would be what they would dearly wish.

"The Show Must Go On" ... no matter what show it is.

Tony T
El Chismoso

El Chinero

Reaction
<<<show the world that this type of cheeseball attack cannot shut us down completely. People would probably be safest out in the middle of the desert. My $.02

>>>

10-4 on that

Tony T
El Chismoso

JasonHutter

Reaction
We made it to St. George, UT were my brother lives and no hike in the fuel prices! We will be in Primm tomorrow. Hope to see everyone there.

Jason
Fire Guys Racing

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > America: The Good Neighbor.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Widespread but only partial news coverage was given
> > > > recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from
> > > > Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television
> > > > commentator. What follows is the full text of his
> > > > trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:
> > > >
> > > > "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the
> > > > Americans as the most generous and possibly the least
> > > > appreciated people on all the earth.
> > > >
> > > > Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and
> > > > Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the
> > > > Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
> > > > forgave other billions in debts. None of these
> > > > countries is today paying even the interest on its
> > > > remaining debts to the United States.
> > > >
> > > > When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956,
> > > > it was the Americans who propped it up, and their
> > > > reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets
> > > > of Paris. I was there. I saw it.
> > > >
> > > > When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
> > > > United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59
> > > > American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
> > > > Nobody helped.
> > > >
> > > > The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped
> > > > billions of dollars! into discouraged countries. Now
> > > > newspapers in those countries are writing about the
> > > > decadent, warmongering Americans.
> > > >
> > > > I'd like to see just one of those countries that
> > > > is gloating over the erosion of the United States
> > > > dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country
> > > > in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo
> > > > Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
> > > > If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the
> > > > International lines except Russia fly American Planes?
> > > >
> > > > Why does no other land on earth even consider putting
> > > > a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
> > > > technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
> > > > technocracy, and you get automobiles.
> > > >
> > > > You talk about American technocracy, and you find
> > > > men on the moon -! not once, but several times -
> > > > and safely home again.
> > > >
> > > > You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs
> > > > right in the store window for everybody to look at.
> > > > Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.
> > > > They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless
> > > > they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American
> > > > dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.
> > > >
> > > > When the railways of France, Germany and India
> > > > were breaking down through age, it was the Americans
> > > > who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
> > > > the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
> > > > old caboose. Both are still broke.
> > > >
> > > > I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced
> > > > to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name
> > > > me even one time when someone else raced to the
> > > > Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside
> > > > help even during the San Francisco earthquake.
> > > >
> > > > Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
> > > > Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
> > > > kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
> > > > their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
> > > > to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating
> > > > over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of
> > > > those."
> > > >
> > > > Stand proud, America!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This is one of the best editorials that I have ever
> > > > read regarding the United States. It is nice that
> > > > one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the
> > > > world would realize it. We are always blamed for
> > > > everything and never even get a thank you for the
> > > > things we do.

JCA

Reaction
WOW!!! What do you say about this? I am speechless and Touched. Thank You

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing

mgobaja

Reaction
It's very interesting to see how our neighbors view our actions and how they can point out things that we seem to not think about with regularity.It's 100 percent accurate that we are very quick to offer aid to those in times of need and very seldom ask for aid in return. Well now I think it's time to call in some " FAVORS" and let them help us out for a change.

BradM

Reaction
That is so very true. Thanks for posting this editorial. I have felt that sentiment for quite some time now. I am tired of hearing how our government rushes to the aid of every country in the world in their time of need and yet so many of our so called allies don't even attempt to repay their debts to the USA for previous assistance much less come to our aid in times of need. I believe that our politicians are too concerned with being the big brother and helping and policing the world rather than continuing to establish an overwhelming presence which will discourage such actions as transpired this week. I am not saying that we should not come to the aid of others in need. What I am saying is that we, as a nation, should not be expected to be the worldwide savior in times of crisis.

I believe that our Foreign Policy should be first to establish, without a doubt, the strongest and most technologically advanced military forces in the world. I know we are still there, but I mean by a decisive and overwhelming proportion. That alone will not stop such actions but I believe it will persuade some such attacks. I do not want to see the start of WWIII but I feel very strongly that we must obliterate all factions involved with these attacks and all those who contributed to their efforts in any way. We must make it clear to the world that we will not tolerate any such acts of terrorism and we must rebuild, bigger, stronger, more illustrious as a symbol of our strength and power.

As bad as these vicious attacks were, I for one am glad that the total damage and loss of innocent life was not higher. I fear the day when this type of attack becomes more than isolated attack on a building or a community but becomes a chemical war destroying millions of lives. We can not let that happen to us or anyone else in the world. If we do, all of the lives lost and damages caused this week will be in vain.

My heart goes out to all of the victims, their families and friends. They are always in my thoughts and prayers. I have already had personal experience with friends who have been affected by this tragedy. My heart is broken for them.

Sorry for the dissertation. I know not all will agree with my ideology, but I feel better.

There's no such thing as "good enough"