Private car tracking equipment - desert

BootDragger

Reaction
I cant seem to find what I am looking for so does anyone use or know of equipment uplink to track a vehicle in Baja that would work better than say a Spot?

WFX Racing

Reaction
BajaTracking.com devises worked well at tracking our car with automatic updates every 10 minutes.

Zambo

Reaction
Garmin InReach units work well and you can text with them. If all you want to do is track something, the little Spot Trace units work ok from what I've heard. I used a spot tracker a few years ago and never had a problem with it tracking, and it was just sitting in a backpack on the floor most of the time.

BootDragger

Reaction
So I spoke with bajatracking.com and was told they may be supplying NORRA this year. I would still like an alternative option if anyone knows of something I can purchase.

sredish

Reaction
Leadnav has that with text communication amongst the user along with pc monitoring I believe.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Leadnav has live tracking option that works with iridium go. Little pricey but works great once you figure out how it works. Not user friendly. Need to spend a lot of time practicing with it before you use it for real.

RacingTraX

Reaction
So I spoke with bajatracking.com and was told they may be supplying NORRA this year. I would still like an alternative option if anyone knows of something I can purchase.
RacingTraX/BajaTracking is tracking NORRA this year, we have a very high tracking success rate, our maps have never gone down and our tracking page has never crashed. Honestly I’d save your money getting a second unit. You can message your chase trucks with our stuff, send texts to people back home as well as get race-to-chase updates every 8 minutes with race mile and speed. We’ll be posting more info soon.

Jessaca

Reaction
We use the Garmin Delorme Inreach as back up. I didn’t have good luck with spot last time it was used with racing. The inreach has worked great. Can text from it or post updates to FB. I had one in our race car and then also in the chase trucks. We also use them if we are out riding dirt bikes in Baja.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
RacingTraX/BajaTracking is tracking NORRA this year,
Oh great, another new device we need to figure out how to mount & wire to our bikes. Email, texts, and whatsapp messages sent to NORRA...
Not trying to be an ass, it's just difficult and frustrating to constantly be switching tracking units, and usually have only days or hours to figure out how to mount/power them. We've used the Stella for a couple years now, we've done 10+ mounts for them, and this past SCORE 1000 we finally have what we think is a perfect mount. We have about 10 man hours into 1 mount.
Look at the #1x bike from the recent SCORE 1000, they had used the Stella a bunch of times, and the mount they made for the 1000 broke within 100 miles. No bueno.
I hope your RacingTraX unit is available early, months ahead of time, so people an figure it out.

Last edited:

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
I received back some info regarding ^, and I LIKE IT.
Looking forward to the new RacingTraX system for Mex1000!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Oh great, another new device we need to figure out how to mount & wire to our bikes. Email, texts, and whatsapp messages sent to NORRA...
Not trying to be an ass, it's just difficult and frustrating to constantly be switching tracking units, and usually have only days or hours to figure out how to mount/power them. We've used the Stella for a couple years now, we've done 10+ mounts for them, and this past SCORE 1000 we finally have what we think is a perfect mount. We have about 10 man hours into 1 mount.
Look at the #1x bike from the recent SCORE 1000, they had used the Stella a bunch of times, and the mount they made for the 1000 broke within 100 miles. No bueno.
I hope your RacingTraX unit is available early, months ahead of time, so people an figure it out.
Tim, I do not rep Racing Trax at all and do not know their exact plans, but based on what they did for the 1000 and their plan/program I would GUESS that he is offering their RENTAL service for NORRA, not that it is THE system required for NORRA.

Check with NORRA and Racing Trax for sure, but I would guess that NORRA is still using the Stella unit and Racing Trax is simply offering a rental add on for teams that want to use/rent their services and units for the NORRA race as they did with the Baja 1000.

I think they can only support a limited amount of teams for a given event (I think it was 50 at this year's 1000) and they rent the unit and it is either cig lighter and plop on the roof for chase vehicles or hard wire and plopped on the roof (or other metal for magnet mount with clear line of sight) for race vehicles. They worked well in our race and chase vehicles while we were in Baja with 1433.

BootDragger

Reaction
Tim, I do not rep Racing Trax at all and do not know their exact plans, but based on what they did for the 1000 and their plan/program I would GUESS that he is offering their RENTAL service for NORRA...

Chris, Thanks for that info. Good stuff. Ill get some clarification.

Reaction
As Chris mentioned #1433 used RacingTrax at this years 1000 and they worked great for us. Even the support people/ tech help were great when I had a couple questions shortly into our race. They replied right away. The text feature was a life saver as well, considering the radio in the race truck took a dump, we were still able to communicate with them. I'd definitely use use them again.