Pro Am Rear Hubs Question

OffRoadGeorge

Reaction
My hubs are leaking or melting out grease by the axel boots. It is not coming from the CV boots but where the bearings are.

Does this mean a seal has gone bad? Or is this normal and I should just add more grease from the front zert?

I bought this class 1 used and it just started to do this after a real hard day in Lucerne.

Looking for some guidance Thanks-

Attachments

OffRoadGeorge

Reaction
For sure not the boot. Is this something that is good for a few hundred miles if i add grease or does it need to be fixed right away?

D-rek

Reaction
Add grease but it will keep getting worse. When the seals went out on my 4-seater the last time it took me 2 hours to clean all the grease off the arms. Should be okay as long as your not going through a bunch of water. I would pull either the boot or the center cap off and put grease directly into the CV's.

FullsizeFun

Reaction
If it is leaking from the seal, it is leaking bearing grease not cv grease which are 2 separate things. bearing and cv grease are not mixed. If there is a grease zerk in the cap this is for cv grease not bearing grease. there is not a way to add bearing grease without dissassembling the hubs. Take them off the car and send them to Pro-am to be prepped. I would not "chance one more trip"

D-rek

Reaction
If it is leaking from the seal, it is leaking bearing grease not cv grease which are 2 separate things. bearing and cv grease are not mixed. If there is a grease zerk in the cap this is for cv grease not bearing grease. there is not a way to add bearing grease without dissassembling the hubs. Take them off the car and send them to Pro-am to be prepped. I would not "chance one more trip"
There is an internal seal that fails and allows cv grease to pass by then it is forced out the external seal. The picture he is showing is definitely CV grease. I just had to replace the seals on my hubs and I guarantee you it wasn't bearing grease.