Pro Am shifter question

hbracerx

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a pro am shifter. I currently have a jamar super x. It's hooked up to a side shift bus box in a woods buggy racer (Line Mountain car in PA, just ran the AOAA event in Shamokin). I'm having trouble grabbing reverse when I want to grab first (reverse is up and left with this trans). I have a tendency to push down on the shifter when I shift under race conditions. It's a habit I've tried to break for years but have not been able. I had a heavier spring installed in my fortin shifter in my short course car and the helped but didn't solve the issue. I see the Pro Am has a collar for reverse lock out.

Do you push down or pull up on the ring to disengage the reverse lockout?
Will mud interfere with its function?
Can you manipulate the lockout if your gloves are wet and muddy. Some races get so muddy, just gripping the steering wheel can be an issue.

Any experience, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

PDANK Racing

Lockout is pushed down for reverse. I've had an issue with water creating rust in the lockout mechanism, but covering with a plastic bag during pressure washing has helped. Never had any issues from mud.
I'm also a dealer for Pro-am.

harleys dad

I have Pro am shifters in 6 of my cars, they are very simple to micro adjust and the reverse lock out works perfect even if YOU have a tendency to push down on the shifter like a lot do. Well worth it

hbracerx

I have Pro am shifters in 6 of my cars, they are very simple to micro adjust and the reverse lock out works perfect even if YOU have a tendency to push down on the shifter like a lot do. Well worth it
6 of your cars? And I thought I had a car addiction problem:) Thanks for the feedback. Very good to hear. I appreciate you taking the time. I'm starting to see a new problem though...it sounds like if I buy one for the new car, I'll be wanting one for the super buggy as well.

harleys dad

6 of your cars? And I thought I had a car addiction problem:) Thanks for the feedback. Very good to hear. I appreciate you taking the time. I'm starting to see a new problem though...it sounds like if I buy one for the new car, I'll be wanting one for the super buggy as well.
I have to many cars, 5 1600 cars a 51600 and a class 11 I have to many kids wanting to race. I forgot my girls car, she just won the Mint 400 in 1600 with a pro am shifter

hbracerx

Very nice. You must be proud! I'll have to take a look and decide on what size/color I'd like to use.

PDANK Racing

Yes, they are available in 8 (short throw) and 10" (Long Throw)

hbracerx

Does it come with a mounting plate? Do you know if it has the same bolt pattern as the jamar pro x shifter? Car is finally cleaned up from the race and getting ready to make it better. It was fast but if I can work out a few bugs it will be much faster:)

PDANK Racing

Does it come with a mounting plate? Do you know if it has the same bolt pattern as the jamar pro x shifter? Car is finally cleaned up from the race and getting ready to make it better. It was fast but if I can work out a few bugs it will be much faster:)
Mounting is (4) bolts, 3" x 2.375"

hbracerx

Thanks guys. Pdank, I don't see it on your website. Can you get me a price and info on how to place an order?

hbracerx

Just put in my order, thanks! Looking forward to no more reverse lockout issues! I just hope I don't like it so much that I want to buy them for the other cars;-) That could get expensive quick...lol.

PDANK Racing

Thanks for the order Tom! Shifter will go out tomorrow.

harleys dad

Just put in my order, thanks! Looking forward to no more reverse lockout issues! I just hope I don't like it so much that I want to buy them for the other cars;-) That could get expensive quick...lol.
I did, all my cars have it