Pro comp rims cracking! Help!

WDR577

Reaction
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG
I'm running 17" Procomp beadlock rims on a pro 2. I'm having trouble with cracking around the stud holes. Has anyone else had this issue? What is the solution? I'm running tapered wheel nuts, I'm thinking this is the issue. What do others run for wheel nuts? Please help, I can't afford to keep cracking rims!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Are you getting those machined for you?

They are counterbored to deep. They also need radiused counterbores. They are flexing which is promoting the cracks in the sharp corners. That and they are cast wheels.

WDR577

Reaction
Thanks for the reply. I bought the truck with these wheels as they are. Do you think I should get them counter bored bigger still but with a large radius at the base? Should I run a flat nut instead of the taper? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Nut type will make no difference. Bigger counterbore with a radius might help, but your real problem is that they are to thin for a cast wheel.

Keep an eye on them and plan on replacing them as needed. Tube Works and Pro-am make really nice forged wheels.

Edit, just noticed your location. Wheels from the states are going to be a pricey option. Not sure what you have down there but forged wheels will hold up much better.