• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pro Stock build thoughts

43mod

End of day one on an XX build. So far I am pretty impressed. Car has .6 miles on the speedo ! The only crazy thing I have found is the front diff wires pinched between a tube and panel . Damned hard to get to and a sure failure if not corrected. I bet this thing has twice as many body crews in it as an RZR. I would guess there next model will be much simpler,reminds me of International Scout construction methods. First thing is a full aluminum rear firewall and then a new cage. My question of the day is about spare tire mounting. Really thinking of going behind the engine /exhaust to keep weight to rear and lower . I would love to have 2 but that's probably too much mass to hang back there . Any thoughts or pics of examples ?
XX build day one.jpg
XX build day one.jpg

novaman64

End of day one on an XX build. So far I am pretty impressed. Car has .6 miles on the speedo ! The only crazy thing I have found is the front diff wires pinched between a tube and panel . Damned hard to get to and a sure failure if not corrected. I bet this thing has twice as many body crews in it as an RZR. I would guess there next model will be much simpler,reminds me of International Scout construction methods. First thing is a full aluminum rear firewall and then a new cage. My question of the day is about spare tire mounting. Really thinking of going behind the engine /exhaust to keep weight to rear and lower . I would love to have 2 but that's probably too much mass to hang back there . Any thoughts or pics of examples ?
View attachment 199728 View attachment 199728
Have you seen the rear spare mounts they did on those at Dakar? That’s the route I would go if you want 2...

y2kbaja

And weren't they on hubs so they would rotate if dragged?

43mod

something like that. I think a bit narrower with a stinger bumper between . Those don't look like they would be happy getting bumped .

Zambo

My thought is just one spare in the stock location. Personally I think one of the best things about the wildcat is that a lot of this stuff is already done for you. And why a new cage? Isn’t the Dakar cage on that race car just the stock cage welded up with door bars added?

43mod

As of right now there is no durect answer from the sanctioning body if the stock cage welded up will work or not. Having the unit torn down all ready to do the firewall it is extremely easy to fabricate a cage that will pass tech anywhere. It should be stronger and safer as well. If we decide in the future to move up a class I would just assume this part be done.

43mod

first one looks much safer. Stock cage is .090 so that's meets the .095+-.010 spec .

43mod

looks like two spares with the rear bumper narrowed a bit like Speed did will work. Still going to try to build cage where it will carry one near stock bed location if that seems to be better.

Total Loss

Looked at the 2 speed cars at the Mint. They ran a 'V" bar at the doors and still had useable doors.
Passed tech- they raced.
I like the idea of useable doors. Easier access in an emergency.

I agree on the fasteners...this thing must have 200 lbs of hardware...LOL.

novaman64

This setup?
I was looking at mine, and the way this is setup you could still have useable doors. (with a secondary latching system as requiered)

43mod

Going w full door bars. I am always paranoid about objects entering my safe space ;) . That's a hole big enough to drive a 40 inch tire through. Would like to see aftermarket exhaust just to trim 30 pounds off this pig,stock exhaust is HEAVY. Still very impressed w factory build. Makes an RZR look like a cheap teeter totter kit.

novaman64

Going w full door bars. I am always paranoid about objects entering my safe space ;) . That's a hole big enough to drive a 40 inch tire through. Would like to see aftermarket exhaust just to trim 30 pounds off this pig,stock exhaust is HEAVY. Still very impressed w factory build. Makes an RZR look like a cheap teeter totter kit.
Dont forget where the top of the door it, you will have the window net which is slight added protection. Any idea if the tubing from that pic is 1.5 or 1.75?

Yup, def some weight to be saved in the exhaust system.... Seems like more and more companies are starting to release exhausts, I know Speed SxS just announced theirs, which is a dual muffler, Im guessing to help with noise...

Built to take a beating, only problem, so many people look at spec sheets and go, nope, its 300+ lbs heavier than the Yami or Poo.... Without accounting for the additional weight their aftermarket roll cage, radius rods and all the other crap will add on to make it the equivalent of the Textron/AC/Tracker...

jon coleman

i dig that prep picture, looks like i can stash it in a small backyard shed & prep it there too.my last car was ' un- stashable', thats why class is looking better to me, convenience...one last thing , spare tire 's on dakar rig great rear impact protection.

novaman64

Starting to take some shape. Factory b pillar joints below the bolted joint are not good at all. Think twice before being content w just bolting on a cage.
Lik you think it would jut crumble on a hard roll over? Or bad welds? I havent pulled the body off and looked at it.

43mod

98 percent sure you would be fine. The horizontal pass compartmet tube had zero welding on back side. This was covered by horizontal tube going towards rear and it was not fully welded. Just like all they have a cut out at the bottom. Fairly critical joint to not be welded up to me. Especially with upper hoop joints kind of acting as a hinge point. Maybe i am just paranoid

43mod

roll cage and rear bumper coming along. Rear of cage a bit wider than factory for more head room. Blue tape is a potential tube,not sure what would be better. Would rather have rear clip a bit too strong than find it tweaked from nerf or roll. Spare(s) could go 2 side or 1 top for now. Fuel cell rule is a killer so far. Stock is 10 g . For the moment I am hearing 2 g over stock. This will not fit under pass seat without creating full custom cell over X months at same cost as 23g tank available to all now. . I am not putting a fuel cell over the header. SCORE tech will figure out something and make it work safely I hope. If we make the 250 may have to run higher class until this gets figured out. Lots more to do.

Attachments