• Forum membership has its advantages....

Pro Stock build thoughts

fastcash

Fan clutch setup that looked pretty sweet was what the Speed guys were running. Took a radiator OEM fan, mounted it as an exhausting fan over the secondary. It pulls the hot air out and the clutch still gets the clean air from behind the seats.

Novaman64 and rest of our XX gang,
The fan pictured is smaller than RG's current fan of 10". We think we can fit a 11" fan with
a little work. Interestingly our Norra 500 fan (9") pulls NO air after about 7000 rpm, the stock
clutch pulls all the air away from the added puller fan. The puller fan is very efficient below
7000 rpm blowing very hot blast of air 3/4 ft away and has really helped with belt temp
in the on/off throttle stuff. We are still struggling with sustained full throttle top speed
belt temps. Good fun!!!!
Chris

jon coleman

in that pic, can u just add a pusher fan in front of that puller?,( it would be side by side right over frwd clutch)and just run a nice pleneum up high intake w gravel trap / dump at low point?

fastcash

Just a question. And i would like a pic w your answer. Who is holding there hand back there at speed / 7000 rpm 😊
43mod,
We haven't unfortunately taken any video of the testing process. Now it appears like getting a
volunteer to run alongside the vehicle at speed with a camera is proving difficult. You met
Carl and even he said no.

fastcash

in that pic, can u just add a pusher fan in front of that puller?,( it would be side by side right over frwd clutch)and just run a nice pleneum up high intake w gravel trap / dump at low point?
Jon,
Not sure if pulling very dirty air in at the front would be a long term solution. Might as well
pull the clutch cover off, which works really well for temps, but is a little hard on the primary.
We have some new ideas to try, hopefully before winter sets in up here.

jon coleman

where does air go into shrowd?, where it goes in is clean? Thats where a pusher fan could go, add an extra fan& intake duct aimed right at the belt.winter?, im working at bird rock, 91 deg.
15719452907831645528848.jpg

Last edited:

Nessy

Most of the intake pusher fans that have been tried on the other makes have actually hurt temps at higher RPM and speeds.

michael.gonzalez

Can they not machine or attach some sort of fan directly to one of the clutch drums? (Ergo no need for electric fan as it is now mechanical driven)

Zambo

Can they not machine or attach some sort of fan directly to one of the clutch drums? (Ergo no need for electric fan as it is now mechanical driven)
Actually that’s exactly how most come from the factory. Not sure about the xx but the cam am clutch cycles a ton of air.

michael.gonzalez

Actually that’s exactly how most come from the factory. Not sure about the xx but the cam am clutch cycles a ton of air.
It seems that it would be the best approach. And if it is on the primary side it would cool at low wheel speeds too.

NIKAL

The XX clutches are built by Team Ind, same as Polaris. Yes the clutches have fins/blades whatever you want to call them to cool the CVT & belt. Both sides of the secondary have fins, the primary has the typical fins on the back side of the primary where the CVT ducting comes in. Plus the added a bolt on fin on the front of the primary to help circulate air.
B599B015-F408-4534-90FC-BD0959FBD3D8.jpeg

michael.gonzalez

^^^ That and a well-designed shroud should definitely supply ample airflow to cool the clutches.

Total Loss

Can't wait to see how the new Kawi clutch works. They run a centrifugal clutch in front of the primary and claim they have minimal or no belt slippage on the sheaves. Should keep the heat to a minimum I would think.

michael.gonzalez

Centrifugal before the primary? So no engine braking then? Not that anyone uses it too much in UTV but thats one thing I've noticed. UTV's don't seem to have too much off-throttle deceleration.

Nessy

Couple of full days. Some well used paid for lights getting new life. Still going to try a bar under leading edge of roof. I hate top mount bars. For now this will work.
Are you going to send your transmission to Weddle?

43mod

Gents. as usual I have overloaded my axx w my mouth. I sold my RZR and picked up a 19 xx to be a twin sister pre runner. Looking to head to Baja the 14th-15th for some fun. I will do the speed clutch mod ,install radio,gps,intercom,roof,33" tires, and a light bar when I should be sleeping between working and doing all the interior tinwork on the race car. My question is shocks and springs. I just sent an email to shock therapy to see if they have an exchange set ready to go. I doubt they have time for me to ship mine back and forth. Does anybody know the factory spring rates on the stock shocks ? I have a full set from the race car I could play with if it would be a quick help. I don't feel like beating the rear diff up being too soft/overloaded w stuff.